• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone use these?

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
This is pretty cool, they fold up small it would fit easily in the bed. You'd have to have the inflator and a power source for it.
I was thinking just an electric troller motor would be fine, there are a lot of smaller ponds around and some only allow electric anyway.
Inflating/deflating might get old.
I'm just saying, technically you could fit the boat and associated stuff and your tent etc and if you were staying at a lake campground you could leave it inflated?
It gets you out of hauling a trailer. Though I guess you could do that.
Sea Eagle FastCat12 2 person Inflatable Boat. Package Prices starting at $1,999 plus FREE Shipping

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I know a couple people that have inflatable canoes. Similar I guess.

Local rescue services you something similar in the river too.

I’d be too concerned of getting a cut in the material and it being trash. I prefer to deal with the trailer.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I know a couple people that have inflatable canoes. Similar I guess.

Local rescue services you something similar in the river too.

I’d be too concerned of getting a cut in the material and it being trash. I prefer to deal with the trailer.
If the material is similar thickness to what's used on inflatable river rafts, it would take a very serious hit to cut it.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
@James Morse

Just moved this to the outdoor recreation forum

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If the material is similar thickness to what's used on inflatable river rafts, it would take a very serious hit to cut it.
I’m more worried about snagging on some sharp steel. Although I’ve not much experience with them, so it might be as big of a problem as I imagine.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I think the ads are a little misleading; let's say you take this somewhere deflated. You have to inflate it - maybe not that big a deal, but you need the inflator/charge pack (takes some room in truck). Also you will need to do a bunch of assembly. Probably you can't do this right on a boat ramp so you need a wheeled axle to get it into the water. If you have seats, floor, transom, etc these have to be in the truck. (Running out of room in the truck if there is other stuff, which there usually is). Then you have to dis-assemble, deflate when done. Not to mention you'll want a motor of some type, and even a trolling motor needs space and the battery for the trolling motor.
Can you trailer them, yes, but if you're doing that, might as well look at regular boats. That was a lot of the appeal to me was not having to trailer (and have trailer sitting around all the time). Can you fit them on a roof rack? Probably not a 12' one (I mean when it's inflated) and it'd probably be like a wing.
If you were going to be somewhere for several days it might make some sense but that means you're camping and how much space is left in the truck, not much. Oh, and need life preservers, missed that.
I don't know about punctures, there are usually multiple air pockets so probably it wouldn't sink, just be unweildy.
I haven't totally abandoned the idea - there are really small ones (one person only) that you could probably move around (inflated) by yourself - if they are like 60 lbs or something. Basically a glorified inner tube, but let's say you were camping by a pond/small lake - technically you could do this and I think get to more fish than from the shore. But not something you'd probably want to spend lots of time in. Or maybe you could have 2 little ones for 2 people. Just ideas, probably not good ones.
Let's say you inflated/assembled it at home, and had a trailer for it - that could work - and in winter if you were pretty sure you weren't going to be using it, you could deflate and store in the basement. But if you're trailering it, that would be the only advantage vs a regular boat, that I can see.
Long ago I had a 19' boat with a 125hp Chrysler outboard, towed it with a '78 Wagoneer, and it was nice on the lake, but the whole loading/unloading/trailering thing got old, I sold all that stuff during a crisis of no money (someone got a good deal). Also had a nice trolling motor for it, I think it was 5hp. Only thing left from all that (ropes, anchors, rod holders, life preservers, etc) is a downrigger. I'm just not eager to get into that whole thing again, but it might be nice to have something small to edge around a pond for a bit, maybe something like this: Sea Eagle 285fpb 1 person Inflatable Fishing Boat. Package Prices starting at $799 plus FREE Shipping
That you could definitely move around by yourself, 24x14x12" packed up which is really small. Yes you still would want trolling motor/batter/inflator etc but it wouldn't be an issue to set up/move around.
This one is 2 person: Sea Eagle STS10 4 person Inflatable Fishing Boat. Package Prices starting at $1,349 plus FREE Shipping it's a little bigger/heavier.
I assume you get wet feet getting in/out of them. And there's no requirement that says you have to fish, maybe you just want to tool around a little on the water.
I guess my original thought was it'd be nice to have something that I could leave in the truck (or get in/out real easy) so if, let's say, I drive over somewhere for an afternoon, it's not a big deal to get out on the water for an hour or so and not make it into a big production. I realize they're not 'real boats' but on the other hand it could have some value for convenience and occasional use.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Haven't used one of those specifically but I do have an inflatable 2 person kayak. I think it's an Intex brand one. We really like it, I think it is every bit as stable as our plastic kayaks. Probably not quite as durable but hey, it's inflatable. And it packs down into a bag about the size of a big sleeping bag.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Looks like a nice affordable inflatable but lifting 94 lbs into your truck bed sure isn't what I would consider 'portable' plus it takes a some effort to manually pump one up unless you have a good 12V or 120V source for a powered inflator. I get what you are saying about a trailer being an issue but I wouldn't trade my 16' Gregor for anything. My neighbor has a good quality inflatable and the rubber is delaminating after just 5 years from UV exposure and wet weather.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
Check this, it's the Fastcat12 I wonder how that rides.
Seems like if they can do that I should be able to get it on a Ranger with a rack? It's about 100 lbs (w/out engine/motor, and probably add 50 lbs for seats etc. Call it 150 lbs.
187.jpg

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i see people on inflatables here all the time. i don't know how often they are actually using them because i don't know any of them but i see inflatables on the water a bunch.

i have always had that hard, plastic sit on top kayaks. they have always worked fine and when they come off the truck on teh highway, they still worked fine when got the water :)

actually, those hard plastic ones are not super heavy and if you only have a 6 or 8 footer, with a tow behind innertube to put the cooler in, you can have a great day on the water (be it at the ocean, river, or lake)

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like my hard plastic kayak, and my aluminum canoe. Canoe is a two man job normally, but I have an old jet ski trailer I put it on.

I have an uncle with a big fishing kayak that has a peddle troller so you can move around while fishing. It’s heavy, but he has a little wheel dolly thing that straps on the bottom so he can move it from his truck to the water alone. He loves it and uses it to go fishing out in lakes and river all the time.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
those peddle ones are awesome. i see those alot too since there is so much fishing here in south texas gulf coast area. i have seen a number of little carts people made out of pvc and some rubber tires from the lawn and garden section at walmart.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals