• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone use Restore?

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
By reading many posts here I have seen that some guys here don't like oil additives but some do work. They might be a bandaid but then not everyone has the money to fix the problem by rebuilding their motor. Recently I had a friend who does mobile diagnostics find a problem with my truck and he checked the vacume and it was steady but low,(15-16in.),so I put a can of Restore in the oil and the other day he came back to help me find another problem(weak coil and bad coil plugin). I asked him to check the vacume again and now it is steady at 18-19in at idle and jumps up to 20-21in. right off idle. It improved that much in around 400 miles. I just turned over 150,000 miles the other day. Years ago on one of my Dads lawnmowers a screw fell out of the carb into the intake and it started knocking like it was blown so he took it apart and "rebuilt" it but didnt bore the cylinder,he just put it back together with new gaskets. He didn't really care cause he already had a new mower to replace it. But the thing smoked like a mosquito fogger! One day he dumped part of a can of Restore in it and let it sit there and run and after about 15-20 minutes it stopped smoking and still doesnt smoke to this day :)

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, k&n box filter- this thing sucks... air
Transmission
Manual
my ranger has almost 194k on it and the motor chatters. one time when i changed the oil and started it up, it sounded like a diesel sittin there. i added some restore to it and it quieted right down and sounded like a new motor. i only did it once, and it has never sounded like that again. i feel that it made a big difference. the motor runs like it did when i bought it, except for a miss every now and then when i go up hills at low rpms. i think it needs a new coil pack. but yes i do think restore is worth buyin. my motor still doesnt burn any oil at almost 200k, i think that one time i added restore made the difference.

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
i used it on my dirtbike because i fried the rings in it is slowed down the smokeing of the oil but didnt stop it seamed to run a bit better i also put a can in my truck i kinda felt a difference in power but im not absolutly sure.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I use it and have had great results. truck had a pretty rough idle and after the restore it really calmed it down and made it run smoother. i plan on using it again next oil change thats coming up. restore and sea foam are two things i have always had good luck with

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
After I put a new coil and plug in on the other day mine ran a little better and then yesterday I changed my oil with Castrol Syntec and more Restore and now it idles better then it ever has for me. The idle is still just a little rough and it still has the 2.9L lifter tick but I'm happy with how well it does now. I got the 5 quarts of Syntec and an oil filter for $25 on sale at Advance and couldnt pass it up but got the Restore at Wal-mart cause its a dollar cheaper there. Also Restore seems to make more of a difference that you can feel as far as power in old V-8s since they have 2 more cylinders to be "restored" :) Its also running cooler,now it runs at the top of the "L" on Normal on the temp gauge.

Last edited:

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I never got how you did this stuff? Same with seafoam added to the crankcase. Do you put additives in just after an oil change? Or like 100km's before you change oil or what?

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
seafoam can be used before the oil change basically motor flush, and the restore ive used it and swear by it (more so then lucas)

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if you add seafoam to the oil it should be done a little before an oil change. restore you add when you change the oil and just leave it in till the next one. when i did seafoam i didnt add it to the oil because i had just changed it. i will be adding it soon since i am almost due for a change

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
With Restore you just put it in with the oil when you change it,just leave out like a half quart of oil so the Restore doesnt over fill it. I dont know whats in it that makes it work but when you open the can its dark blue,after running the engine a little bit the oil looks normal and clear/clean. When I used seafoam I tapped into the vacume port with the red line near the throttle body,I pinched the rubber line I used to suck it from the can so it would draw it through slowly like the directions say on the can.

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is the first time ive heard of this sea foam, whats it do?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Seafoam is amazing stuff that cleans out all the crap that builds up in engine and fuel systems...pretty much it'll fix any problem (well not quite:icon_twisted:) but it does work wonders for some people (me included) you can add it to the crankcase, fuel tank, or thro the vacuu line. Or all three.

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
With Restore you just put it in with the oil when you change it,just leave out like a half quart of oil so the Restore doesnt over fill it. I dont know whats in it that makes it work but when you open the can its dark blue,after running the engine a little bit the oil looks normal and clear/clean.
Ive never really thought about leaving half a quart of oil out. i usually just add the 5 quarts like always and it never over fills it.

Seafoam removes carbon build up and a bunch of other gunk that gets built up over time. it cleans the injectors and pretty much anything it goes through. and its also really cool after you start the motor up again after letting it sit for the five minutes.
http://www.seafoamsales.com/motor-treatment/index.html

Blueranger99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i will have to give it a try. i know some of you said thsat you put it in before an oilchange. how much time or miles between adding it and changing the oil?

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
i will have to give it a try. i know some of you said thsat you put it in before an oilchange. how much time or miles between adding it and changing the oil?
with seafoam ive always heard a few hundred miles before the next oil change. restore you just add during oil change and leave it in till the next one.

RustedRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Always remember to unhook the battery for awhile when you do something that can make the engine run better. The computer cant adjust to run better only worse like when the tuneup wears out. When I put that can of Restore in after my friend checked the vacume I also put some Lucas fuel treatment in the gas and it started running worse......I unhooked the battery and after a while hooked it back up it ran much better. Always unhook the negative post to do it. After putting in the Syntec oil and another can of Restore the other day it is still running better but I think I need to unhook the battery again because it's starting to not run quite as smooth again. One guy called the Restore people and they told him it may not take full effect until 500 miles. Most times for me it has made a difference within the first 100 miles.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals