• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone understand Ford Credit?

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
So I've owned my F-150 for a few months now, so far I've paid extra on all of my payments. I make all my payments online on FordCredit's website. The problem I'm having is when I pay extra, the extra amount isn't actually going towards the principle, they're splitting it and putting some towards the interest and some towards the principle, which is pretty much a waste if you ask me. Every month my minimum payment keeps going down as well, because I've been paying extra.

So basically what I'm asking, how do I go about making the extra money I'm putting on the loan actually go towards the principle?

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
You may try to contact ford directly and ask them if they can manipulate your extra payments like that. I know on my Toyota pickup when I made extra payments the same thing happened, but regardless your balance is going down. When I would go directly to my credit union and make a payment in cash they would ask me which I wanted to apply it towards principle or interest. I always did towards the principle, but either way you have to pay off both anyways. Once the interest is paid off your payments will go more towards principle. So the more interest you pay down, the faster your principle will go down afterwards. I know at the beginning it seems like the principle is almost stuck, then after a couple years the principle starts going down a lot faster as the interest is starting to inch closer to zero.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Best way is to send any extra in on a paper check and write "to principle" in the memo line.

Postin' from teh Galaxy

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Best way is to send any extra in on a paper check and write "to principle" in the memo line.

Postin' from teh Galaxy
^^^What he said. We did this on both of our houses and paid them off quicker. You must state 'Pay to Priciple' for the extra amount.

PanamaExpat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4 liter
Transmission
Manual
They want to keep stringing you along for as long as possible... More money in their pockets and more odds that you might be late on a payment and they can shazamm you with a late charge. Finance companies are not your friend. When I lived in the USA one of my best friends was a regional manager of for a chain of them and we would run repos together for fun and excitement. I learned a lot about the gimmicks of the car financing industry then.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
When i had my buick i paid it off 2 years early and saved myself a lot of money on the interest by paying extra on every payment. im trying to do that with this truck just not sure if its working!

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Postin' from teh Galaxy
I think I'll try this, found the address on their website where I can send checks. I'll still make my online payment and send checks now and then.

naford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I say call Ford credit. They should be able to give the answer. Oh by the way if they do give you an answer post it up here. Just for curiosity. I've seen loans that even extra payments had to be full payments no partial. Loans where even though they allowed partial payments the payment wasn't counted against the loan until they had a full payment. One that they only allowed two extra payments a year. One that the payment arrived in the mail on Friday the loan payment was due on Saturday but they deliberately didn't open the mail to that PO box on Friday. So everybody had a late charge.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
One that the payment arrived in the mail on Friday the loan payment was due on Saturday but they deliberately didn't open the mail to that PO box on Friday. So everybody had a late charge.
I think that is illegal. It's also why you should not be allowed to charge a late fee if the post mark is three days prior to the due date.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You can take charge of your credit, or let them run your profile...best advice given so far is to write the check and specify that it goes to principle. Consumers/customers are like throw away coffee cups to these companies...you can expect zero humanity from them, but then they are in a business where only sharks survive. Another option is to get your bank/credit union to refinance at a better rate so you'll actually get some customer service. We learned that back in the early 90's...always try to do business with a CU first...and we've bought/sold 4 houses and can't count the cars/trucks (gettin' older, don't want to).

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged

Postin' from teh Galaxy
Unfortunately this did not work, and I am not happy about it. Looked in my account history today and $35 of my $200 check went towards the principle, the rest towards interest. Sounds like I'm going to have to call them.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Unfortunately this did not work, and I am not happy about it. Looked in my account history today and $35 of my $200 check went towards the principle, the rest towards interest. Sounds like I'm going to have to call them.
Do you get charged interest monthly on the principle?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
you're basically paying the next payment early with how they are applying it. My mom had a hard time with Ford Credit on my dad's truck to. MAKE SURE you call and tell them what you are doing. Stay on the phone till they understand you ARE NOT paying the next payment. You are paying principal.

CALL THEM. We have been there and done that.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
you're basically paying the next payment early with how they are applying it. My mom had a hard time with Ford Credit on my dad's truck to. MAKE SURE you call and tell them what you are doing. Stay on the phone till they understand you ARE NOT paying the next payment. You are paying principal.

CALL THEM. We have been there and done that.
I called and that's exactly what they said do to, call them and tell them I want to put the money towards principle.

Thinking about it, thats just how finance companies work I guess. I had a similar problem with my mortgage, we accidently made a double payment one month and they sent us a check for that extra payment, so we just went back to the bank and told them to put that money towards the principle.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals