• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone tried it yet? Holley sniper install

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Just wondering?

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Do it

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
talked to a freind of mine who has used a few terminator kits on LS swaps today, he said he had 3 bad factory wiring harnesses and tech support for it at holley is useless because they sub the manufacturing of wire harness, also the "self-tuning" did not work for him, i believe he said due to injectors, and they had to be professionally tuned to get it right. so thats his opinion/experience. he recommended i get the sniper kit if i wanted to that route.
i was really hoping someone on here knows about them. id really prefer to stick with muli-port injection

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Broke down and ordered a holley sniper kit and carb intake. Finally found a black one in stock. See how it goes i guess.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Little too late here, but does EFI tech offer anything that would work?

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Probably do. I have mechanic/drag racer friend who is familiar with the holley systems. He is also that type of person who knows everybody, although they are mostly bowtie LS SWAP THE WORLD type of ppl, I think it benefits me to go with holley. Im at wits end with truck, and I really think its the b-cam making xpo ecu not happy. The f250 needs an expensive transmission, and although I'm enjoying the Nissan rogue mpgs, its a NISSAN ROGUE. Im a truck guy, need a bed behind me I guess? I've been studying on holley forums and fb pages. Tech pages on fb are full of issues, they are tech pages and seem mostly due to bad wiring. Decided to go with sniper over terminator x due to simplicity and cost. The x kit would require a few more censors and recommend ignition upgrade. I have a new fox style tfi setup planned for my bronco that I plan to use with sniper kit. Need to purchase a carb intake. As mentioned in forums interference from a front mounted distributor with sniper system may pose an issue. I will incorporate existing an lines and fuel pump from the v8 swap. Sticking with mechanical fan, ac staying is a must also.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Making some headway, carb intake on, panel to delete original ecu, and hold fuse and relays for sniper. I removed some of the tape holding looms in sniper harness to reroute them for my install. Did not change length of wires just routing. Harness wanted everything on one side, I wanted coil and ignition box where stock air filter is located. They are mounted on a peice if 1/4 plexiglass with a few peices of small angle iron underneath, nothing fancy. Ecu delete panel and relay mount is just that, nothing else. Working on looming, and cleaning up wiring still. Will post more of that later. Rond has been helpful as always.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm following along...

Still has functional A/C. Doesn't look like you had to clearance the evap housing.

This could be the way I go if/when I've had enough 2.9L in my life.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
It was running with a traditional 98 explorer style swap. Just not satisfied. A/C will still be functional, will need some more sorting out of wiring for that. But will happen soon. Sniper ecu has outputs/inputs for ac kick on/off also. Already had AN feed and return lines for fuel. For evap house I heated with heat gun, pressed gently with oil filter. Minimally. All that is in my swap thread.

Attachments

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Got it installed and started. Runs very well, with hood off and no air cleaner. Close hood/install el cheapo chrome air breather and I get massive rfi issues. Closing the hood is like turning the ignition switch off.

mikkelstuff

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I had a Holley Sniper installed with my newly rebuilt 1975 Ranchero 460. I purposely did so to handle the Colorado altitude variations. So far runs great.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had a sniper setup on my mildly built 351w. I didn’t like it personally. I followed the instructions to the tee. Even had 2 professional installers double check my work. Kept backfiring through the throttle body under hard throttle and would shut off. Holley was of no help. They kept claiming it was a bad install.
Went back to a double pumper. Much happier

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
self learning or not, systems like that really require a proper tuning to operate to their full potential. Dyno time is ALWAYS money well spent.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
Dyno will come soon enough. Tuning definitely makes a huge difference. The above mentioned friend did a seat of the pants tune through the handheld, was night and day difference. Still researching RFI, also extremely hot this week, so slim chance of me working on it after work.

Zachalanche

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
Tire Size
I have some experience with the Holley sniper on small block fords. When using the ignition control the ecm becomes very sensitive to RFI. This is extra problematic on fords due to the close proximity to the distributor (which is probably your largest source of RFI in the entire engine compartment). You may find the engine runs rough, cuts out unexpectedly, or stalls when you put the air cleaner on. if this happens try covering the distributor with tin foil, if that solves the problem then you know the distributor is the source of the problem. (you can also do this with any other suspected source of RFI like the alternator). to protect the ecm from RFI you can fabricate a shield that bolts to the front 2 studs on the throttle body to block the ecm from RFI. another option would be to leave the tinfoil on the distributor and cover it with one of those rubber boots from the 90's 5.0 mustangs. I know it seems silly but it works well.

you probably won't have issue if you disable the ignition control, but that is probably the best part of running fuel injection. the ignition control will allow you to really dial in your fuel economy, throttle response, and drivability (especially if you use a computer where you can fine tune the mapping - you won't be able to do this on the hand held device). without that you just have an electronic carb.

If you don't have any RFI issues, consider yourself lucky and enjoy. Aside from this issue, Holley makes a great, easy to tune product.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals