• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone switch to Internet Explorer 9 yet?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
If so, how do you like it so far?

I've switched my desktop and one laptop to it...
so far no issues.

I'll probably switch my others to it as well...

AD

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
People still use IE?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
FACT Actually about HALF of all computer users use IE

IE is and has remained the #1 browser

IE has slipped, meaning they no longer have 95% of the market, only about 53% on average

Infact by the various automatic tracking polls IE users otnumber the users of all other browser users combined the total market for browsers.

Only ONe of the four industry polls recore IE as having less than 50% of the market
By the poll that favors FF the most even that poll reveals that IE has 50% more users than FF (45% IE to 30% for FF)

And by "polls" these are automatically collected so cover what people are ACTUALLY using not what they SAY they are using.

IE has been "slipping" of late, but last I checked 4 MILLION people had downloaded IE9 just since it was released mid-week.

Nearly 2million in the first 24hours and it isn't even available though M$ updates yet (it isn't automatic) you have to manually start the download after searching for it.

Who is using IE? all the people who didn't buy their tinfoil hat a size too small.

AD

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I use chrome because it syncs with my phone. I like chrome better the IE. I wasnt trying to offend anyone.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
No offence taken

People can use what they want, that why they make Chocolate and Vanilla and for that matter Cherry Garcia and chunky monkey....

But I find people who use firefox often tend to display a superior attitude to IE users.
(thus my replying to HanhsB2)

THE point I'm trying to make is that most people feel no need to switch from IE.

And frankly I've had issues with FF, I tried an earlier version of Chrome
and had problems with it.

Safari? I have yet to cross paths with any apple software that doesn't make me want to strangle someone.

Opera The LEAST used browser??? only after I buy a Citroen to replace my Ranger and set a land speed record in a Studebaker....

I like my tech equipment to WORK and work with the absolute minimum of aggrevation
That generally means M$.

AD

TastySloth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I haven't used IE for a while now. It got corrupted and stopped working right. I was too lazy to figure it out so I went to FF (speaking of which, 4 is coming out soon) to solve my problem.

Now I am just too lazy to make the change, even if IE is better now.

I just realized how lazy I am ... wow.:annoyed:

Apollo-Soyuz 1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L Lima 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
I just upgraded my Core i3 notebook to IE9 and it's actually running better than Firefox 3.6 :huh:

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
FACT Actually about HALF of all computer users use IE

IE is and has remained the #1 browser

IE has slipped, meaning they no longer have 95% of the market, only about 53% on average

Infact by the various automatic tracking polls IE users otnumber the users of all other browser users combined the total market for browsers.

Only ONe of the four industry polls recore IE as having less than 50% of the market
By the poll that favors FF the most even that poll reveals that IE has 50% more users than FF (45% IE to 30% for FF)

And by "polls" these are automatically collected so cover what people are ACTUALLY using not what they SAY they are using.

IE has been "slipping" of late, but last I checked 4 MILLION people had downloaded IE9 just since it was released mid-week.

Nearly 2million in the first 24hours and it isn't even available though M$ updates yet (it isn't automatic) you have to manually start the download after searching for it.

Who is using IE? all the people who didn't buy their tinfoil hat a size too small.

AD
Alot of that probably has to do with the fact that all PC's in the U.S. (except MAC's) ship with only one browser, IE. I'd like to see what the % of IE's use in only Europe where MS can't ship widows with IE only. Not saying IE is as bad as it used to be but just because it's the most used doesn't mean anything about how good it really is.

I personally use Firefox for the features it has that IE doesn't/didn't have at the time I switched. I use IE for one thing only, making my car payment because their site will only run in IE, which in this day and age is just stupid.

PORTnPOLISH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Like I said I really like my chrome
I did hear.of a friend having a issue with it in early form but he has not reported anything of the sort as far as I know.
I use chrome to phone on my Android and it syncs my bookmark pc,And viewing history to my laptop and pc. It also is able to store and remember all my passwords to all my sights securely. When I come on to chrome I sign on once and that unlocks all my sites passwords.

Loud Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'95
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alot of that probably has to do with the fact that all PC's in the U.S. (except MAC's) ship with only one browser, IE. I'd like to see what the % of IE's use in only Europe where MS can't ship widows with IE only. Not saying IE is as bad as it used to be but just because it's the most used doesn't mean anything about how good it really is.

I personally use Firefox for the features it has that IE doesn't/didn't have at the time I switched. I use IE for one thing only, making my car payment because their site will only run in IE, which in this day and age is just stupid.
exactly, half of all users use ie because half of all users dont know how to do anything but turn the computer on and surf the web.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual

In europe IE which is NOT "bundled" with the OS there, has 66% of the market

AD

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have IE 9 on both my computers, but I only use it for the PTS website. I use FireFox for everything else. I started using it when there were actual legit security reasons for it, and because my school's web info system was only stable in FF. Just never went back.

Those were also the days when FF had tabbed browsing and IE didn't.

Last edited:

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
In europe IE which is NOT "bundled" with the OS there, has 66% of the market

AD
Got any links, Google search show IE greatly losing ground in Europe and most links point to them losing to FF.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
IE has been "Losing GROUND" to FF, but there's nowhere that FF is credibly claimed to more popular than IE

IE is #1 everywhere, what is different is the lag between IE in #1 and FF in #2

a couple more poles from february show FF in the low 30% range while IE is below in the high 40% range

No matter which stastics you want to trust ALL of the trackers list IE #1 FF#2, Chrome #3, Safari in #4, opera #5.

But that's not what you hear from FF users...

there just isn't THAT much difference in browsers....

I talk just about weekly to a guy who gets so worked up about "the evil of M$" that you can actually hear the spittle (or is that venom?) striking the mouthpiece of his phone at the mention of ANY M$ product...

Hey, there's a popular tech website where it is commented that "IE9 might allow MS to regain the #1 position... not they they've ever lost it.

The fact is that I work with others that swear by FF and at the drop of a hat they'll regail you with explainations of what is wrong with IE... yet I've never seen ANY of the thing they complain about. meanwhile they'll practically drool over how perfect FF is... the rub is I get to hear them cursing at their computers when some page won't load or they are forced to restart.... or ever re-install their browser because of some glitch...

I've had to re-install IE ONCE, and that was IE9 on my notebook...
And I nly installed it saturday...

what went wrong?

Another application that didn't do what I wanted it to do (Apricorn EZ Gig II)
which would NOT clone a Win7 installation also won't uninstall either, and after running the UNinstaller and allowing it to reboot to complete the DE-installation, the computer wouldn't restart and the latest system restore that would actually work was March 5th

Kind of annoying because this installation of windows only goes back to Feb 12th

what's most annoying is because Ez Gig II was installed before I was able to clone
my installation my cloned backup also has it... (and I can't uninstall that either...)

what I don't like about FF is how damned difficult it is to migrate your "favorites" from
one computer to another so a User can have the SAMe favorites on all their computers (home office and notebook

I can migrate an IE favorites list from one computer to another for someone far faster
than I could explain how to it verbally.
And it doesn't matter if I'm snatching raw data from a dead computer to a newer computer
with a different OS and or IE version...

I have somewhere in the neighborhood of 6000 favorites/bookmarks.

I tried to import them into chrome about ayear ago, chrome didn't import them, what chrome did was DESTROY the organization of those favorites bookmarks so even IE couldn't use them...

I wound up formatting that HDD and switchiing to a backup clone.... Obvious I didn't try Chrome again...

And I can't imagine why anyone would...

AD

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals