• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone switch to Internet Explorer 9 yet?

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The issue is that the majority people are blissfully unaware of the fact that they must specify WHICH "WMP" they dislike...

You really need to be specific about WHICH WMP you didn't like because other than a tight family resemblence between 11 & 12 they are all rather "different" from each other.

there is really very little similarity between the current WMM-12 (win7 Only)
or WMP11 (Very slightly different in XP and Vista) and the earlier WMP10 (early XP)

Not to mention that WMP 8 & 9 that were (respectively) upgrades to Win98 and Win2k ...

any earlier versions? different again, saying you don't like fords then revealing that the last one you drove was a 1929 Model B with a bad trans....
WMP7 simply sucked.
WMP8 was an audio player.
I never managed to make WMP9 play anything other than simple video's(DVDs? you're kidding? right?)
I didn't have WMP10 long enough to do more than see it disappear as soon as it opened because WMP11 was a MANDATORY upgrade by the time I finally upgraded to XP....

I actually kinda liked WMP9, but getting to displaying the album art in WMP11 was neat (as I've switched to Win7
I'm still getting used to WMP12, as it handles not only audio and video vbut will actually manage your photo libraries AND actually display (and allow editing) of the meta-data included in most pictures

AD
I don't need my media player do do all of that crap, I just want to play videos (I use the Zune software for my music and it's great, much better than iTunes), which apparently WMP still can't do worth a shit. Went over to a house that my GF is house sitting at last night, they had a pretty new computer (Windows 7), I brought my external HD with some movies on it, worthless fawking WMP would not play them. I'll stick to VLC.

And if I wanted to be a snobby computer user, I'd own a Mac :thefinger:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well, you can get head units that accept SD cards. Some take SDHC cards, too. Look into it, it won't be the 160gb you're looking for, but do you honestly need THAT much music?

I guess I am biased because I mostly use the radio, we have an awesome privately owned rock station here in Maine that covers the whole state plus parts of Canada and New Hampshire.

SSD's also do more read/writes than people generally think. My SSD is what, two and a half years old now and still works great - it's the only drive in my main computer, and I am a student. It depends on your SSD's technology, the good ones are not cheap, though. 64gb for $230 is what my drive sells for still, price hasn't changed in all that time.

My issue is the lag time for most head units to "read" the connected media (USB or flash)
before it starts playing

Streaming from the computer via bluetooth is as fast as the computer is so if I want to switch to radio to catch
the news or weather at the top of the hour I can jump right back to the music without pause

I don't need my media player do do all of that crap, I just want to play videos (I use the Zune software for my music and it's great, much better than iTunes), which apparently WMP still can't do worth a shit. Went over to a house that my GF is house sitting at last night, they had a pretty new computer (Windows 7), I brought my external HD with some movies on it, worthless fawking WMP would not play them. I'll stick to VLC.

And if I wanted to be a snobby computer user, I'd own a Mac :thefinger:
WMP needs to have a Codec pack installed to play SOME video file types

It isn't included because people like to Sue M$ and frankly they don't need any additional headaches.

AD

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I upgraded to it on my laptop.

I'm a FireFox guy myself, but that last upgrade sucked so I went back. I tried Chrome, didn't like it. Tried Opera, loved it, it's fast, but it sucks some memory.

I tried IE9 and surprisingly liked it, even though it's very close to being a Chrome nockoff.

right now, the major players are copying each other, Chrome stole from Opera, Opera stole from Firefox, IE stole from firefox, IE stole from Chrome.

So I figure in the end each will look alike and function the same.

One thing I wish they would do, and it might be possible I just can't seem to find it, is let people switch back to default views and find some of the settings easier. I hate, hate, hate digging for something to see turn it on or off.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Firefox or nothing!

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
MS is previewing IE10 at Mix in Las Vegas. Supposed beta will be out by September of this year, along with beta of Windows 8.

Supposedly they were demonstrating IE10 on an ARM processor, which is what they are shooting for with Windows 8.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
meh, i still use IE6 and IE5, to lazy to upgrade ie when i got Firefox along side it

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
chrome baby, i havent used ie voluntarily in about six years. i run all the beta's on my mac. their buggy only cuz there the beta's but its by far the fastest browsing experience.
i have to use ie9 in the computer labs at school. not impressed with its speed or functionality.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I am talking about this kind of head-unit, a media reciever, I know what you mean about cd-mp3 payers taking up to several seconds to switch folders even. This kind is instant, my cheap-ass DUAL doesn't even have a bit of a noticeable delay, the music starts as it turns on.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130MVP83BT/Pioneer-MVH-P8300BT.html?tp=5684&nvpair=AG_Type|ffDigital_Media_Receiver+(no+CD)&tab=detailed_info
what I'd REALLY like is a variation on one of sony's new media players.

On those the face plate folds down and a motorized tray comes out and you put your iPod into it... and the HU swallows your HU.

The variation of that idea is that I'd like a head unit that skips the
motorized tray and has a cassette-like slot into which you'd simply
shove a SATA notebook drive into it and close the face plate.

How much data you could have is strictly determined by how
big a drive you'd want to buy.

SSD or spinning HDD would be the users choice, notebook drives are a
physical standard...

MS is previewing IE10 at Mix in Las Vegas. Supposed beta will be out by September of this year, along with beta of Windows 8.

Supposedly they were demonstrating IE10 on an ARM processor, which is what they are shooting for with Windows 8.
As IE9 is not available for XP, IE10 will not be offered for Vista

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Switced to 9 and Im having problems downloading updates for avg and basic windows updates...any clues why?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
are you using a windows machine?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I use Microsoft Security Essentials... fewer false alarms and it updates fine.

I will admit that I don't like the way IE9 functions downloading online image files

AD

MMRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
For my part, I run with Firefox and Chrome. Its been years since I have used Internet Explorer. But I might try the IE9. Microsoft said faster browsing. We'll see.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Chrome 11 just came out for Chrome users....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals