• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone running a 408 in there ranger?

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm looking to build/buy a 408 for my first gen and was wondering what drivability is/was like.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Look at the driveability of a fox body with that motor. Granted if you have a longer wheel base it might hook better with some suspension work, But its all about the weather conditions and a how flat to the floor you like to drive.

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
I'm looking to build/buy a 408 for my first gen and was wondering what drivability is/was like.
Not sure I can answer ur question rite now but I am in the process of installing a 408 Cleveland in a 95 2wd Ranger as we speak. I have encountered some logistical problems with the C that apparently are different from the Windsor. I'm assuming you want to go fast seeing as you chose a 408 for motor.
I thought I knew my exact direction for this transplant but, alas, it has changed several times and has involved the purchase of some new parts that I can no longer use!! Turns out the chassis and suspension are the main culprits of this swap. So check your budget with the changes you'll have to make to handle the power you're considering. Some things to consider are ; rear axle and how to harness it (4link, ladderbar,etc.), motor mounts and locations (motor plates and mid plates, adapted mounts,etc.) oil pan, exhaust headers, steering (stock pwr. , rack n pinion,etc.) trans mounts, driveshaft clearances, to mention a few! :rolleyes: From what I'm hearing and reading the 302/5.0 engine fits in a LOT easier and with less necessity to change the entire structure of the truck, just sayin! BUT, if ur lookin for a project that will command your full attention and, you're able bodied, with decent mechanical skills, and have a few bucks and some time on your hands, it could be a really cool accomplishment! To be honest, I can't tell you the number of times I've said to myself " why didn't I just go to Mecum auction and buy somebody elses labor a lot freakin cheaper!!" Guessin' I'm just not that smart.:unsure:?

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I believe you can get 363 cubic inches out of the new Boss 302 block and it'll be a lot easier fit. If your 408 is a Windsor it'll be a lot easier than Jack's Cleveland. I think he's showing off.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've been looking at crate engines and for a turn key v8 I'm looking at 6k I started looking at 302s but wanted more torque. than looked at 351w and ended up at 408 because more faster. I'm thinking 400 hp na with a np435 and 205 transfer. 35ttb and 8.8 rear. 4.88 gears 33 in tires

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
It sounds to be like you'll be happier if you build for low end power rather than high rpm horse power.

Rager351

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hi, Stroked Windsor is a great way to go. My 1988 2wd Ranger 418 Windsor, TKO600, with 3:55 gears is a hoot to drive. Driveability is very good as well. Sounds like you are going for a different build (4wd), but I believe you'll be happy with the larger displacement. Let me know if you need any details that might help your project?

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hi, Stroked Windsor is a great way to go. My 1988 2wd Ranger 418 Windsor, TKO600, with 3:55 gears is a hoot to drive. Driveability is very good as well. Sounds like you are going for a different build (4wd), but I believe you'll be happy with the larger displacement. Let me know if you need any details that might help your project?
What rear are you running? I was looking at a 8.8 and dana 35 ttb swaped front and rear. I'm not looking to build a 10 sec truck or anything. Figured 475 hp at the crank would be plenty for 12s. We have a local dirt strip here in town so I'd take it there ever once in a while but mostly street driving is what I'm looking for.

smilinjack

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
408C
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
2"
Tire Size
315 /35- 17
My credo
Always bite off more than you can chew!! :)
Hey Rager, caught your reply here on engine swap and was wondering what suspension you started and ended with and how deep did you go with your conversion?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The million dollar question is what is the truck for? Daily driver? Quarter mile? Corners?

It's kinda like trying to answer the ultimate question, What is the meaning of life?

Personally I would like a Clevor for a street rod truck. 351w with Cleveland heads and intake.

I went with a 306 for this truck. Since its a daily driver and light to light truck.

350hp approximately is sufficient for its purpose. (Im gonna dyno it at Ford Nationals in Carlisle if they have it this year)

But with that said you may have a different expectation.

But certainly we all understand why you wouldn't want a cam that chirps the tires at idle while creeping in traffic.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The million dollar question is what is the truck for? Daily driver? Quarter mile? Corners?

It's kinda like trying to answer the ultimate question, What is the meaning of life?

Personally I would like a Clevor for a street rod truck. 351w with Cleveland heads and intake.

I went with a 306 for this truck. Since its a daily driver and light to light truck.

350hp approximately is sufficient for its purpose. (Im gonna dyno it at Ford Nationals in Carlisle if they have it this year)

But with that said you may have a different expectation.

But certainly we all understand why you wouldn't want a cam that chirps the tires at idle while creeping in traffic.
Its a weekend street build. I'll take it out to dirt tracks in my local area on occasion. It could be daily driven can't predict how much ill enjoy driving it. I had a 400rw hp 2005 mustang gt I daily drove till it got totaled. (Had a new tire bubble and blow out at 75 on the highway pulled me into a rail.) Just looking for that hp in a new skin love the first gen 4x4 rangers. The mustang pushed close to 4000 curb and the ranger is 500 less than that with me in it. So don't really know what to expect with that much power. Don't want to over buy if I can get more for less.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
some guys say there getting 14s with stock 302s and I'm looking to break 12s or 11s nothing crazy but fast enough to keep up the new sedans rolling off the lots

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well 4x4 and high horsepower = High dollar in my experience. Maybe some of the people on here can point you in the right direction on that. Even a mild 351w is pretty quick in a ranger.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
This is an long term build for me I've got the truck already and the trans and transfercase. My big ticket items are my axles and engine. I don't run my vehicles hard and never to compete. This is for personal fun and if something breaks i replace it and keep trucking

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals