• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone own, built or worked on an electric vehicle?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My idea was to replace the front sheet metal with fiberglass and replace the bed with a battery tray and fiberglass bedsides to try and keep the weight down.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i would really aim for having the batteries BETWEEN the frame rails. thats about as low as they can go without reducing ground clearence. you could still leave the bed off since its just added weight anyway...plus then everyone will be able to see your batteries :icon_thumby:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you can't go through it or around it, then go over it.
I researched that out for my LC. you'll need a 4spd transmission, Tcase, 192 volt set up (16 yellow top optimas X2) a motor, onboard charger, onboard Generator, a controller, ................. not going to be cheap ....... you could have Chip Foose build you a mustang for what what you are talking about would cost.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
...a 4spd transmission...(16 yellow top optimas X2)...onboard charger, onboard Generator
why would he need a transmission? and even more curious, why a generator?

AGM batteries are excellent for electric drag racing applications because, unlike a wet cell battery, they have the ability to dump almost all of their stored energy at once (like in a 1/4 mile pass). for a continuous, low-draw situation like rock crawling, standard wet cell batteries would perform just as well and be much cheaper.

the charger also doesnt need to be carried on-board. leaving it at home would save weight on the vehicle.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
why would he need a transmission? and even more curious, why a generator?

AGM batteries are excellent for electric drag racing applications because, unlike a wet cell battery, they have the ability to dump almost all of their stored energy at once (like in a 1/4 mile pass). for a continuous, low-draw situation like rock crawling, standard wet cell batteries would perform just as well and be much cheaper.

the charger also doesnt need to be carried on-board. leaving it at home would save weight on the vehicle.

so you have the option to gear down, like having an 8 speed transfer case. you use a direct connection from the motor to the trans, no clutch. Although I would run a clutch because some of these things have so much damn power that their brakes wont hold them and the cut off from the controller is not as instant as you think.

Better to mount the charger and have onboard gen so you don't get stuck out on the trail. better to be prepared. the gen and charger add so little weight compared to the batteries.

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
wet batteries would really suck if you rolled it.
battery aganst battery (same size) the agm will kill a wet battery short or long term draw,with a quicker recovery time.
i sell them everyday.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i still think a transmission is unnecissary. the whole reason ICE's use it is because they make power in such a narrow RPM range. electric motors dont have this problem. with 100% torque available at 0 RPM, you could be crawling through rocks at 20 RPM without the need for an extra gearbox. then wind it clear up to 6,000 RPM for that sprint across the valley floor.

copperhead, good point about spilling the batteries, although it'd be easy enough to clamp the caps down in some way...AGM is probably safer in the long run.

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
you say that now, but when people who build these for a living tell me to use a transmission for an off-road application. its not like you are shifting gears with it. and you still want a really low final crawl ratio.

we put rich's buggy on its top to see if the batteries would leak........ didn't start leaking till after 20 min. Lithium Ion would be the way to go when the price comes down.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
lithium ion would be really great. such higher energy density than lead acid :clapping:

i still want to get some parts together to build a flywheel energy storage r/c car for proof of concept :icon_idea:

Ozwynn

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RE Interceptor
Transmission
Manual
My credo
lithium ion would be really great. such higher energy density than lead acid :clapping:

i still want to get some parts together to build a flywheel energy storage r/c car for proof of concept :icon_idea:

those been running in europe as trolley cars for a while. use a flywheel to store energy and it gets spun up at every station. works rather well

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
theyve used them on an off for busses and the like. started back in the 20's or 30's. i want to try something a little more "free range" than a bus though.

plus a scale model would tell me how far off my math is :D

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The batteries are always the problem. Hard to believe because people with names like Volta, Franklin and Faraday lived 200 years ago.

Those flywheels are a little scary with their gyroscopic effect. But with enough computer power maybe you could drive on the ceiling of a tunnel like Men in Black.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
wet batteries would really suck if you rolled it.
battery aganst battery (same size) the agm will kill a wet battery short or long term draw,with a quicker recovery time.
i sell them everyday.
Sorry, but for overall longevity, I would have to say wet cells are better....As someone who works on/maintains batteries everyday as part of his job. The only thing that would make them better is the massive amount of in/out current they can take and the fact that you wouldn't spill them. Besides...L16's are cheaper...

I have 3 24 volt Exide Wet cell Loadhogs(I believe 600AH) at work...they are 14years old and still make it though a full shift without any problems. They get pulled down to 70% DOD most of the time.

For this application, AGM's would probably be best, due to the spilling hazard. However, it depends on how it's going to be used...hard offroad, mud, what? anything where you would possibly overturn the batteries or submerge them, I would go for agm's. If that isn't a real risk, say for mostly just trails then I would go for L-16's... We pull them down to 80%DOD every night and still manage to get about 2 years out of them in our floor scrubbers.

Just my opinion

COPPERHEAD85

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
serf,you do your job very well maintaining the wet batterys thats why they have lasted that long.

ill still put an agm or true gell aganst a wet battery any day.ill check with my vender and see if they make one for your application,pm me with your location and ill see if there is a vender in your area.....maybe i can get you some demos...then you can put them to the test and let us know how they stack up.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
serf,you do your job very well maintaining the wet batterys thats why they have lasted that long.

ill still put an agm or true gell aganst a wet battery any day.ill check with my vender and see if they make one for your application,pm me with your location and ill see if there is a vender in your area.....maybe i can get you some demos...then you can put them to the test and let us know how they stack up.
Hmm..I'd be interested, but we just replaced all L16's this year and have a replacement contract with our parts supplier out of Buffalo. usually when a cell does go bad, we have to run it for at least another month before everything is ok'd to replace it...

I'd still be interested in learning a bit more about what all you guys have...I'm between Erie PA and Buffalo NY (Jamestown NY).

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals