• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone other than todd done 35/44 hybrid?

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Huh? What happened?

Edit, I forgot, I guess you're getting into the "prerunner" thing now?
I've gone up and down in lift height and I'm happy with the 3.5" I have now. However had i known that is what I was going to be running I would have put beefed stock pivot brackets on and cut and turned the beams. I still could but since I've added so much more material to the beams in the area I want to cut it's just not worth it. Easier and cleaner to just plate and truss my spare beams. Besides the 4" pivot on the lift brackets is too much for 3.5" lift height.

Not really into the prerunner thing 100% as we just don't have that type of terrain around here. For one since this is a DD I wanted to have the best of both worlds a flexy suspension that can handle the rough trails and one that would behave well on the street. Surprising some of the things you can learn from the Desert guys.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
for ya'll that have done that swap, how is driveablity? specifically alignment. can this be aligned at a shop? (i guess it could, just have to tell them to use f150 parts).

also, my main concern is the grinding down of the beam

(taken from tech library)

has anyone seen any fatigue in this area? especially if not welded like so:

(also taken from tech library)

94STXRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 302
Transmission
Manual
I believe the adjustable bushings might be the same. Could be wrong though

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That cut is nessessary to get a decent clearance for the upper ball joint boot. Squashing it more than needed will wear it out, or pinch the boot, and will result in a failed ball joint. The welding of the upper ball joint bushing mount is mediocure at best from ford. There are just 2 welds about 1" long on each side. I added extra plate around this area and welded the block on all 3 sides and also welded where it was cut on the opposite side. One other thing to note was that the slot in the block was made wider on mine. The F150 bushing is a fraction smaller than the RBV one and this just helps get a good clamp on the bushing. The bushings are not the same. The D44 uses a taper on the upper ball joint. D35 is a straight pin with a snap ring.

BTW I'm using the fully adjustable moog D44 bushings on mine. I also did my own alignment. Not sure how or if a shop would be able to align it. If they know offroad vehicles then they may be forgiving and do it.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey joel, got any close up pics of the brace/welding specifically around that upper ball joint?

i've got a local alignment shop that understands TTB, luckily. they only use adjustable bushings if needed, and don't add unnecessary parts/cost. everywhere in town wouldn't even look at my bronco for under $200, this place did it (right, it still tracks super-straight 3 years later), for $85.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Under side of mine where it was cut and re welded.

Best one I have that shows the plate.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I've gone up and down in lift height and I'm happy with the 3.5" I have now. However had i known that is what I was going to be running I would have put beefed stock pivot brackets on and cut and turned the beams. I still could but since I've added so much more material to the beams in the area I want to cut it's just not worth it. Easier and cleaner to just plate and truss my spare beams. Besides the 4" pivot on the lift brackets is too much for 3.5" lift height.

Not really into the prerunner thing 100% as we just don't have that type of terrain around here. For one since this is a DD I wanted to have the best of both worlds a flexy suspension that can handle the rough trails and one that would behave well on the street. Surprising some of the things you can learn from the Desert guys.
I hear ya. 3.5" is about where I'm at on my suspension as well, but with 2.5" drops. Just about perfect.

I just assumed prerunner after all that work you put into those bitchen fiberglass fenders.

I'd keep it mild on the C&T (maybe do about 1½" on the beams and then run the STX drops).

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I hear ya. 3.5" is about where I'm at on my suspension as well, but with 2.5" drops. Just about perfect.

I just assumed prerunner after all that work you put into those bitchen fiberglass fenders.

I'd keep it mild on the C&T (maybe do about 1½" on the beams and then run the STX drops).
I needed tire coverage. Bushwackers just wouldn't cut it and with a $500 price tag for the 4 it's pretty clear for a few hundred more you could have full glass that will cover better and not look like an afterthought.

I've been trying to get a set of the STX drops for a bit now but can't find any around here. I may just make my own if it comes down to it.

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
diggin up and oldie!

got most of the parts i need, a bunch that i don't. thats ok, everything on this pallet was free.

its got some weird coil seat thing that has what looks like a tab for a second shock in front of the beam.

Last edited:

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so could i just put stock d44 i beams with like 6 inch lift f150 coils and new buckets under my ranger pretty easily or is there f-ton of work to do i want the wider stance for the future but for now just for sic loo:icon_confusedwithout sheeling out tons of dough like getting Autofabs d44 kit a cool 5000 in i beams and rad arms and buckets and hoops and so on:icon_confused

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
not that easy. there is a TON of geometry that will come into play

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so stock beams wont because they will hit the frame or what? because i want a wider stance and then lift it later:icon_confused:

DanjaRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
when you gonna be done ill buy a pair? hopefully for less than cut and turned beams?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals