• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone notice that Gen1 , gen2 and even some Gen3 stuff is getting hard to find?

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I was beginning to worry about finding an engine bay harness for my new (in progress) truck, a 1993 Supercab.

My 1987 Supercab has some major rust issues in the cab, and while I have a spare (absolutely rust free) cab as a repair piece I need something to drive
while it is apart...

The 1993 is currently a 4x4, 3.0, 5sp with an electric shift T-case.
I have it because the 3.0 was on it's last gasp and the trans and clutch were not far behind.

And Rather than simply put another 3.0 into it, I'm swapping a 4.0 into it.
And while I already the engine on a stand in my garage and another in a storage crate in my uncle's garage as well as a pair of M5OD-R1HD transmissions in my garage, one thing I was lacking was the correct engine bay harness for a NON-EGR (and NON-SEFI) 4.0 and I was slightly worried about finding one, I need worry no more, Yesterday I scored at one of my favorite U-pull-it junkyards.

So my project progresses.

AD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, I have noticed that too.

It used to be pretty thick, now usually I see maybe one or two first gens at all.

The last time I was there, when I took my D35 apart to clean it up I set the drain plug somewhere special so I wouldn't lose it... and I don't remember were that is. No biggie, couple bucks at the JY and an excuse to go there (haven't been for awhile) I got to the last row of Fords before I hit my first first gen Explorer. :shok:

And that is why last year when I found a early Explorer 5.0 intake laying on the ground in perfect shape (they just wanted the heads apparently) I couldn't pass it up even though I have no home for it. Their day is coming too.

Last edited:

DaddysTruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l V6
Transmission
Manual
I see a lot more on Craigslist than in the yards. Maybe they are just being crushed because of low value/demand.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
In my local junkyards they put the cars out in nice neat rows... and write the date they put them out with a stencil and spray paint and when they have a "new" vehicles to put out they clear out the oldest row.

They make little notice of the age of the vehicle

Jshep94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where to find some new valve covers for a 91 ford ranger 2.9L. Ford quit making them

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Does anyone know where to find some new valve covers for a 91 ford ranger 2.9L. Ford quit making them
You don't get brad new ones, unless you get lucky to find some NOS ones. Best bet is a good used set.

The yards I visit still have a decent selection of vehicles from 2nd and 3rd gen. Even the first gen trucks are still there, but I have mostly picked them clean.

This is, however, one of the reasons I have tried to start incorporating more gen4 parts into my most recent project. My choice to use the SOHC was driven second-hand by parts availability as much as any other factor.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals