• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know off hand the size of the star bolts for the seats?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Get a tow? Pull over every so often and refill the water? You have options
That's a good option! Apparently I'm not very creative if that's even creativity. I've never had to deal with no coolant issues and I assumed this a no coolant by the fact it was spraying like mad. It woulda been a slow ride home but would have worked.

Anyway, lol, it must have been a sign from above saying "hey idiot, it's not that bad!' as apparently the local thieves weren't interested nor the cops since it was there for two weeks while I was working with goodwill to pick it up but they lagged with red tape so I figured 'heck I'll use my roadside insurance to get it to a shop and at least pay the diagnostic fee and if I can't afford it offer it to them'. Did so and turned out it was just a busted tube up there. I'm not familiar with the cooling system. I figured it was all internal and expensive. Well $200 isn't 'cheap' but heap enough and really a cheap job.

So I'm back. But thanks for trying guys and sorry to the poster who would have picked it up. Woulda been a good deal. I had just the night before, for the trip I took, thoroughly washed the interior with buckets of boiling water and shampoo vac which was cause the most of my blues. I currently don't need a truck or its insurance payments and other issues I'd have to fix myself hence my inclination to let it go. Anyway, so it's its back home and running.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Dumb question to illustrate my ignorance in cooling systems: was this an engine coolant issue or cabin coolant issue? Are those totally separate? I'd think so but hope for simplicity they worked together sharing coolamt/refridgerant, but maybe those are two totally different things. I just know they both take heat and somehow eject it through parts with cooling fins. Pls educate...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
basically just flows through the radiator and the engine, and some to the heater core.
your radiator has an upper and lower hose, top one goes in from the engine, bottom one goes out to the water pump, thermostatic gateway, and into the engine

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
tell us about the goodwill deal, how do they operate that pick-up thing?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
tell us about the goodwill deal, how do they operate that pick-up thing?
Just as any donation svc I assume. They needed my title though with the car so I had to send it to them, then they sent it to the towing Co. So they work with another company to pick it up. You get a tax write off. I suppose a "cars for cash" junkyard option might be more lucrative. Maybe just the same when all is said and done.

So engine cooling system has nothing to do with the cabin ac system?

So the tubes above that busted in mine go to the heater core?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
the engine cooling system and what you are referring to, the cabin heating system, are tied together using the same Anti-freeze to produce heat. The Air Conditioning (a/c) system is 100% separate system. The A/C system in your truck uses R134a refrigerant so these two systems can not mix and need, for ease of understanding (not proper terminology), a separate mini radiator for air to blow through to pick up the different temps and push them into the cabin.

EDIT: "So the tubes above that busted in mine go to the heater core?"

This depends on what the name of the part was that was replaced. There are 2 heater hoses and 2 radiator hoses. As explained by Josh B the radiator hoses are known as Upper and lower radiator hoses the Heater hoses are known as inlet or outlet hoses. The new hose should be obvious so pop the hood and look to see which one was replaced. The radiator hoses are thick large hoses and run from the motor to the radiator (front of the truck) where as the heater hoses are thin and run from the engine to the firewall on the passenger side of the tuck. This will tell you what one was replaced.

Just to confuse you but this is not the case on your 3.0 but Some vehicles use coolant to heat the intake during winter and have metal pipes and or small hoses running to and from them. But like I just mentioned this is not the case with your 3.0.

Last edited:

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
the engine cooling system and what you are referring to, the cabin heating system, are tied together using the same Anti-freeze to produce heat. The Air Conditioning (a/c) system is 100% separate system. The A/C system in your truck uses R134a refrigerant so these two systems can not mix and need, for ease of understanding (not proper terminology), a separate mini radiator for air to blow through to pick up the different temps and push them into the cabin.

EDIT: "So the tubes above that busted in mine go to the heater core?"

This depends on what the name of the part was that was replaced. There are 2 heater hoses and 2 radiator hoses. As explained by Josh B the radiator hoses are known as Upper and lower radiator hoses the Heater hoses are known as inlet or outlet hoses. The new hose should be obvious so pop the hood and look to see which one was replaced. The radiator hoses are thick large hoses and run from the motor to the radiator (front of the truck) where as the heater hoses are thin and run from the engine to the firewall on the passenger side of the tuck. This will tell you what one was replaced.

Just to confuse you but this is not the case on your 3.0 but Some vehicles use coolant to heat the intake during winter and have metal pipes and or small hoses running to and from them. But like I just mentioned this is not the case with your 3.0.
R134a duh! Yeah, I know that stuff and that isn't coolant, though functions similarly no? My brain just wants these things to be the same for ease of understanding what goes in under the hood. And I know what you're talking about about the radiator on other models. I think it is either the 4x4 or auto transmission that do that. I replaced my radiator last year and wondered about those extra ports. Why not mine? Well idc. Makes it easier and gives my truck the 'cold air intake' advantage, I guess, right? I sure like my air cool when I'm working or exercising. Especially here in FL.... Yeah the busted hoses are in the back. Thanks!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just as any donation svc I assume. They needed my title though with the car so I had to send it to them, then they sent it to the towing Co. So they work with another company to pick it up. You get a tax write off. I suppose a "cars for cash" junkyard option might be more lucrative. Maybe just the same when all is said and done.
Did you send them a signed title? You better check for sure you still own it

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
According to this He paid for the truck to towed to a shop and it was fixed and now back at his home and on the road again.

Anyway, lol, it must have been a sign from above saying "hey idiot, it's not that bad!' as apparently the local thieves weren't interested nor the cops since it was there for two weeks while I was working with goodwill to pick it up but they lagged with red tape so I figured 'heck I'll use my roadside insurance to get it to a shop and at least pay the diagnostic fee and if I can't afford it offer it to them'. Did so and turned out it was just a busted tube up there. I'm not familiar with the cooling system. I figured it was all internal and expensive. Well $200 isn't 'cheap' but heap enough and really a cheap job.

So I'm back. But thanks for trying guys and sorry to the poster who would have picked it up. Woulda been a good deal. I had just the night before, for the trip I took, thoroughly washed the interior with buckets of boiling water and shampoo vac which was cause the most of my blues. I currently don't need a truck or its insurance payments and other issues I'd have to fix myself hence my inclination to let it go. Anyway, so it's its back home and running.

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
Well supposedly it's on the way back to me. Unless they're trying to pull one on me but I doubt that unless you're gonna tell me some horror stories. Then I'll end up crashing THEIR truck into the nearest goodwill front window lol.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
No horror stories here sir, just crossed my mind of such a possibility.
Once they sent it on to the tow company there's no telling what they might pull
Just trying to bring your attention to that in case you hadn't checked on it yet

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
R134a duh! Yeah, I know that stuff and that isn't coolant, though functions similarly no? My brain just wants these things to be the same for ease of understanding what goes in under the hood. And I know what you're talking about about the radiator on other models. I think it is either the 4x4 or auto transmission that do that. I replaced my radiator last year and wondered about those extra ports. Why not mine? Well idc. Makes it easier and gives my truck the 'cold air intake' advantage, I guess, right? I sure like my air cool when I'm working or exercising. Especially here in FL.... Yeah the busted hoses are in the back. Thanks!
I wont lie, some of this confused me but that isn't hard at this time of night/ morning.

Refrigerant (R134a) works differently than Anti-freeze. Anti-freeze in an engine does 2 things. (1) Keeps the coolant in the motor from freezing because it usually is 50% water. (2) it draws heat from the cylinder walls away and moves it to an area (radiator) where it can be disbursed and not kept in the engine block.

Refrigerant does 1 job, cool. This is done by being forced through a tiny opening ( orifice tube) causing it to get colder. There is a by product of forcing it through small opening and that is heat so it to needs to be cooled and why there is a condenser (smaller radiator) in front of your radiator.

If one of the hoses or more that burst went to the fire wall, back towards cab then they were heater hoses.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I wont lie, some of this confused me but that isn't hard at this time of night/ morning.

Refrigerant (R134a) works differently than Anti-freeze. Anti-freeze in an engine does 2 things. (1) Keeps the coolant in the motor from freezing because it usually is 50% water. (2) it draws heat from the cylinder walls away and moves it to an area (radiator) where it can be disbursed and not kept in the engine block.

Refrigerant does 1 job, cool. This is done by being forced through a tiny opening ( orifice tube) causing it to get colder. There is a by product of forcing it through small opening and that is heat so it to needs to be cooled and why there is a condenser (smaller radiator) in front of your radiator.

If one of the hoses or more that burst went to the fire wall, back towards cab then they were heater hoses.
SOME of it?

juntjoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Do unto others...
SOME of it?
He said before how some models use coolant to heat the intake, which doesn't make sense to me as I've never lived in Northern cold climates where I guess it can be too cold even for your vehicle's intake. Threw me off on a tangent about cold air intake mods and exercising. Excuse me.. But if you're in the mood, does that mean up north they dont do cold air intake mods?

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
SOME of it?
Yea only some being a simi-automotive educated and worked in the business person I can still speak partially non educated person jargon.

He said before how some models use coolant to heat the intake, which doesn't make sense to me as I've never lived in Northern cold climates where I guess it can be too cold even for your vehicle's intake. Threw me off on a tangent about cold air intake mods and exercising. Excuse me.. But if you're in the mood, does that mean up north they don't do cold air intake mods?
Honda's as an example use coolant run through the internals ( casted ports ) inside the intake to heat the cold air coming in to the motor instead of a heat tube coming off of the exhaust manifold. Now the Honda D15B7 motor being one of these motors and many other brands have done this not just Honda. This is not that you can not run true Cold air intakes up here, although I have found like a carb with a bad choke you need to baby sit them when cold if they originally had the heat tube from the exhaust, but it does affect cold weather running till they are fully warm.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals