• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone know how to identify which network driver I need?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Laptop - gateway nv52l06u

Factory operating system - windows 7

One I out on - windows 7 ultimate

Computer is a few years old and still had all the old junk from the factory on it. Was getting slow aand had some viruses and 300 gigs worth of junk. I'm going back to school this semester so its time to revamp it. Decided tto put on the new operating system. Thought I got driver CDs with it but I guess not and I didn't save any of them.

Can't get online with it cuz there's no wireless network driver. So i have to do all this on my phone. So far I've downloaded just under 300 MB worth of drivers (2 of them) in about 5 hours. My 3g sucks. There's like 10 of the drivers on gateways site none specific. Both of them I have tried say its not compatible with my operating system.

Yet it came with w7....

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So I found the LAN driver and the wireless LAN driver got them installed but it still won't find my wireless from my phone and that's what I use is the 3g from my phine

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Could be your internal wifi is pooched...I had to use a wifi stick on my windows laptop because the internal simply didn't find the network...a stick usually comes with drivers if needed but it should be pnp.

My Apple picks up the network from the internal wifi without a problem...so maybe test it with another system or simply buy a stick...I think they are under $30...cheaper than a new laptop and quicker to determine if that is the problem...or just borrow one to test...

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Never thought of that. I always use those on desktops. Weird thing tho I was using the wifi literally 5 seconds before I decided to wipe it. Doesn't mean it didn't go to shit tho. Now it wants me to plug Inman Ethernet cord.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well, if it is not recognizing the internal wifi and looking for ethernet connection then maybe go into the network settings to see if a wifi connection exists...if it does then try to enable it...if not...

Can't remember Windows 7, but there should be a device manager...open that up (right click my computer and choose properties is how it was accessed) or go to the Control Panel and double click the System icon...scroll down to network cards and see if it shows the device...if so but disabled, right click it and try to enable it...that should prompt you to install the drivers...or go to the properties of the device and try to update the driver...should be on your laptop system tools disk if you have one, but may need to input the downloaded driver at that point...

I always laugh when installing a network device and Windows asks if you want to search the web for a driver...DOH!

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Stupid question, but can your phone do WiFi hotspot? Or might it only share connections via Bluetooth.

You can check device manager, but you may have a conflict based on the setup.

Are you using a proprietary WiFi manager, or windows zero config? Make sure the device properties are correct, and try changing to "let windows manage my internet connections" or whatever.

Try booting a live Ubuntu distro, see if it can id and connect. If Ubuntu does, then its your config in Windows, if it doesn't, check your bios for onboard WiFi disable/disable, and use an external. If the external fails, its probably a resource conflict

Sent from my RM-917_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Also, you may be able to tether your device via USB and connect to the web to allow windows to attempt a fix. Your smart phone should have its own drivers as the first discovered partition by windows

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I did a factory restore and it worked again. I didnt know the factory restore was on there. Still unsure why my wireless card wouldn't work

EricNobody

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
My guess is windows zero config was fighting with another WiFi mgr, bad driver, or irq conflict

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals