• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone know anything about a '64 Comet?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
Working on a '64 Mercury Comet, basically a Falcon. Car was a 260, 3-speed on the column, now 289, T10 4-speed. The problem is it's unusual cantilever transmission mount. Are they different between the 3-speed and the 4-speed. The stock one is too long but I'm hesitant to modify it because everything up to this point is reversible to go back original. I don't know if they use different mounts or maybe a different crossmember. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

Last edited:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
There are Falcon/Comet specialty suppliers that probably have a mount that would work. Using a top loader 4 speed would have been easier but early cars had T10's so what you're doing had been done before. If you're up for spending about $1000, Borgeson offers an integral power steering system that will make an amazing difference in the car. The original manual steering in those cars was sloooow and the non integral power steering was engineered for the 51 Ford and wasn't worth a crap back then.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Don't know much about them, but my dad has one slowly rusting away in Arkansas. I think it has a 302/4spd

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I can tell the transmission cross-members and rubber bushings are interchangeable between the two (based on mustangs of the same vintage.) That mount you have pictured puzzles me...is it part of the shifter assembly?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not sure a 1964 Comet restored to Factory original after engine was already swapped would be worth it

I would modify drive train any way you need to

Cars like these are for "the look" and should have reliable, or for speed, drive trains installed, IMO

Never had much use for "collector cars", I get it, just don't want it, lol
Give me a good running daily driver with "the look" any day

Partial to 1969-1972 Chevelles and El Caminos myself, built a few years ago when you could get them and parts for a reasonable price
NOT restoring, building with a newer drive train and options I liked
Its a real shame the collector car guys have driven the prices up on nice looking older cars

Last edited:

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
As far as I can tell the transmission cross-members and rubber bushings are interchangeable between the two (based on mustangs of the same vintage.) That mount you have pictured puzzles me...is it part of the shifter assembly?
It's not part of the shifter setup. The car does have a small crossmember the cantilever mounts to on one end and it holds some of the parking brake parts. I have a diagram and an old service manual but the only difference I can find is between a 6-cylinder and a V8 car. Nothing about 3 or 4 speed. Seems the 6 cars didn't have the extra leaf on the bottom but that's about all I can find. Something's different or it would fit. The T10 is out of a V8, bench seat '64 Falcon which should be identical to the Comet underneath. This car was always a 260, 3-speed. Just recently pulled it's original drivetrain complete down to the generator. The car ran great and was a good cruiser but the 260 lacked in fun horsepower.
Cantileverv500.JPG

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals