• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have Verizon FIOS?

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
If you do, how do you like the speed? Is downtime a problem? What is the installation like? We don't have home phone service currently, and the installation details are confusing.

I have zero experience with a service like it - have only had cable internet for broadband.

We currently have time warner cable/cable internet and they're charging an arm and a leg, and our upload speeds are horrendous. We have the upgraded 15mbs connection, but the upload might as well be dialup

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you do, how do you like the speed?
I have the 10/2 package - It is FAST. My last connection was 1.5/786 tho, so 10/2 is a big improvement. I can't vouch for the upload speeds because I don't run a web server or upload much. You running a FTP? I could upload a dummy file to bench mark if you wanted.

Is downtime a problem?
Hardly ever.

What is the installation like?
They installed a box on my basement wall, and ran a cable to the router next to my computer. The router they supplied is wireless and you can configure it as well. The guy who installed it was really out there, did a pretty shitty job of running the cable to my PC, but what else is new.

Pete

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
not running FTP, but i'd use the speed for gaming.

i also would want to use my wireless router instead of there's and i'm not sure how that goes over

do you have home phone service that they tapped into? i'm sure we've got phone jacks, but who knows where they are

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
do you have home phone service that they tapped into? i'm sure we've got phone jacks, but who knows where they are
In comes in over a fiber line, the box on my wall has a "class 1 lazer" warning on it, this is probably what translates the fiber signal - a friend of mine was telling me that I could build up my own phone system for about $200 and just use VOIP and ditch my land line entirely. Takes some time, but even can get the current phone # routed. Can't remember what the company was called, or what the box I needed to get was though.

Router info:
http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14077

Pete

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
hmmm interesting. i didn't think about the modem issue much - i just assumed it had a standard RJ45 coming off of it if you don't use their modem/router combo

i have one of those fancy schmancy gaming routers from d-link - having to ditch that might be a dealbreaker for me, even though the bandwidth would be key

how expensive was your installation if you dont mind me asking?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am very lucky - costs were picked up as a house warming gift, I never saw the total. I want to say they were in the $200 range though.

Pete

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
thanks

verizon sent a thing saying it's coming to our neighborhood. we'll see when it actually happens

Rifleman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Depending on your local network quality, for $65 a month Comcast Business Class is better. This is from a peak usage time for my area. >>

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
will they install that in a residential area? i never thought about that

my ping is ridiculously good right now, that's the only thing that makes me want to keep our internet - it tops out at 10 ms, and most of the time it's below that

my UL is right about .5mb/s

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Depending on your local network quality, for $65 a month Comcast Business Class is better. This is from a peak usage time for my area. >>
I'm glad it's working that well for you. Do keep in mind, though, that even the $90 a month plan only advertises 30-50% of what you're seeing.

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic
yes i do and fios sucks!!!!!!!!

i miss brighthouse high speed

chillmiller

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 ohv
Transmission
Automatic

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'll have to run that test when I get home, I wonder how they come up with the figures for some of those... If that's rated in bits per second, I have a hard time believing that a $13/mon DSL connection 1.5mb/s / 785kb/s is faster than a fiber optic line.

I would be real tempted to wireshark the connection and see if there's a bunch of crap spewing from one of your PCs. Sometimes it's not how fast the connection is, it's how many transactions it can handle (which is what you want with gaming, but also kills). My old DSL line would download 112kilo bytes per second topped out, but would drastically drop if I had anything uploading.

A customer came in with a PC with a new type of trojan, it actually logged into his wireless router and funnelled all of the traffic through an IP address out of the united states (to steal info). This would certainly kill speeds... Just some things to look out for, make sure that you're connection is secure and that there isn't anything funny going on. It is also very possible to crack WEP wireless encryption.

Pete

ryan

Forum Administrator
Administrator
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
A customer came in with a PC with a new type of trojan, it actually logged into his wireless router and funnelled all of the traffic through an IP address out of the united states (to steal info). This would certainly kill speeds... Just some things to look out for, make sure that you're connection is secure and that there isn't anything funny going on. It is also very possible to crack WEP wireless encryption.

Pete
that was one of the first things that i thought - nothing funny in the router logs, but I'm not exactly sure what to be looking for. The UL still stinks even with the computer turned off and just running my ps3, so I think it's probably the cable itself

warrior24

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Seems like verizon puts to low of a speed cap for a fiber network. I guess I am just greedy and want faster speeds. Although I don't have FIOS here is my screen shot from cox

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals