• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone have a sofa-bed?

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
For those that don't know what I'm talking about, there's a couple of companies out there selling kits that turn your truck bed into a chill-out/camping area.

I've been looking into Gaylord's and SportTruckSolutions' sofa-bed options, and I was hoping to find someone with actual pics so I can see how well the sofa might fit under my camper top.

They may actually be the same manufacturer, but Gaylord's stuff looks like there's more material involved on the bed-sides (there is in the pic anyway), so I'm expecting theirs to be a little more $, but it looks like it would accomplish what I'm trying to do here just as well.

Both kits look like they're gonna be pricey (STS lists theirs on their site for $730 less shipping), but for someone like me that spends some time using their truck as a camper, it may be worth it. If I'm able to, I'd really like to order one just as in the picture minus the headrests (they're extra-cost, and will only get lost anyway).

These pics look like they were installed on a full-size pickup, and my worry is that if I were to sit on the couch with my camper top on there, I may not have enough head-room to be comfortable.

If anybody has any pics of one of these installed in the bed of their Ranger, or knows of another vendor, I would be greatly appreciative for the help. Thanks, Kk

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've never even heard of anything like this before. Excepting the back seats on certain subaru things.

I seriously thought you meant one of those god-awfully heavy couches with the fold out bed for the living room. I hate those things. I've had to help move too many of them.

MPRanger

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I seriously thought you meant one of those god-awfully heavy couches with the fold out bed for the living room. I hate those things. I've had to help move too many of them.

Ditto

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I just got word back from Gaylord, and they only offer their kits in grey, and despite my inquiry they didn't say anything about price, so I'm only left to assume that they're pretty pricey. I guess that once the time comes for one of these, I'll hit up STS so's to match up the bed-interior with the cab a little better. I'll necro this thread once I've got the loot together enough to buy up one of these babies anyway.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Wow I want those. Too bad I have roll bars.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
Am I the only one that thinks this is dumb? I mean useful, yea, but practical? Not completely.

Negate the fact that it rains, sometimes unexpectedly, and since its still just material, it'll absorb and soak in the water. There's less room for supplies, and sitting in the back of a pickup...what's wrong with fold out camping chairs? It seems like a waste of money, and extra stuff to store when you are not using it. If you haul anything dirty, cleaning it would be just one more chore for you. Cleaning is it's own problem as well.

I have used a futon cushion before, and no only does it fit perfectly in a Ranger between the wheel arches, but it was comfy, too. Probably more so than that. The other thing that I have done, which is cheaper and more compact & convenient, is use an inflatable camping bed to stargaze, back up to a beach shore, or just simply enjoy an afternoon.

Easier alternatives. Why Do you need a convertible couch?

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Am I the only one that thinks this is dumb? I mean useful, yea, but practical? Not completely.

Negate the fact that it rains, sometimes unexpectedly, and since its still just material, it'll absorb and soak in the water. There's less room for supplies, and sitting in the back of a pickup...what's wrong with fold out camping chairs? It seems like a waste of money, and extra stuff to store when you are not using it. If you haul anything dirty, cleaning it would be just one more chore for you. Cleaning is it's own problem as well.

I have used a futon cushion before, and no only does it fit perfectly in a Ranger between the wheel arches, but it was comfy, too. Probably more so than that. The other thing that I have done, which is cheaper and more compact & convenient, is use an inflatable camping bed to stargaze, back up to a beach shore, or just simply enjoy an afternoon.

Easier alternatives. Why Do you need a convertible couch?

So it rains, I have a camper-top - let it rain. Besides, it's made out of the same stuff they make boat seats out of and the carpeting is some kind of a poly-something, so you can wash it off with a garden-hose and not have to worry about it.
[EDIT: This was 2nd-hand information, and I may have been misinformed at the time of this post - read post #11]

In the past I've used both an inflatable mattress and a futon mattress, and the futon rules, but I couldn't seem to keep an inflatable from giving me back aches if & when I could keep it properly inflated or from outright popping, and this nifty bed-set allows for packing significantly more of your stuff than if you were hauling around a futon mattress all the time. The only real draw-back I can see from my viewpoint is the price-tag.

Last edited:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Unless you have a pop-up camper top, you will head room problems. You could make one from some heavy-duty firm foam blocks and use denim covers...get creative if your wallet ain't stretchy.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Pete, you're not the only one. Sorry KnockKnock. That thing takes up a metric butt-ton of room and not worth the price. I'd rather get an 8" thick futon mattress and use that. Either that or just create your own for way less than $700.

KnockKnock

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Found a pic of one of these in a FlareSide.

It appears that it would in-fact take up a metric butt-ton of room back there, and that material doesn't look like the poly-stuff that BedRug brand uses, nor does the seat appear to be marine-grade. :icon_confused: Though it has lost serious cool-points, I still kinda like it. :dunno:

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
If you don't use your truck as a truck, sure this could be a real party favor. My truck spends too much time hauling dirt, rocks, car parts, and other stuff for it to be practical.

The bed is a neat concept if you need a place to sleep..... or other things.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals