• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone got USB 3.0?

MMRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I was just wondering if anyone around here has the USB 3.0 technology implemented on their PCs. As you can see, I am still on 2.0 While I have been seeing laptops advertised with 3.0 capabilities on CNN.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've seen videos comparing 2.0 to 3.0, looks favorable but I wouldn't go out and buy a new computer for it.

Tho my Seagate 1TB drive is upgradeable if I get a new computer any time soon.

Charles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 is very new and has not been implemented across the board with vendors.

The only people who need USB 3.0 are people who are transferring large amounts of data from other USB 3.0 devices which are far and few between and very expensive.

Example: Look up a 64GB USB drive. You can get a 2.0 for $80. Or you can get a 3.0 for almost $300. Same amount of storage, just different interface.

So, if you get USB 3.0, it doesn't mean all your old USB devices will be faster. They will be the same since 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. You will need to get new 3.0 devices also in order to take advantage of the speed increase, and if you are not transferring huge amounts of data around frequently, then it's not needed.

BlueChariot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
3.0 is very new and has not been implemented across the board with vendors.

The only people who need USB 3.0 are people who are transferring large amounts of data from other USB 3.0 devices which are far and few between and very expensive.

Example: Look up a 64GB USB drive. You can get a 2.0 for $80. Or you can get a 3.0 for almost $300. Same amount of storage, just different interface.

So, if you get USB 3.0, it doesn't mean all your old USB devices will be faster. They will be the same since 3.0 is backwards compatible with 2.0. You will need to get new 3.0 devices also in order to take advantage of the speed increase, and if you are not transferring huge amounts of data around frequently, then it's not needed.
I agree with all of this, though I feel I must meantion that when I bought my Seagate 1TB, the same model in 3.0 was only about 20-30 dollars more expensive, and I got mine for around 90 dollars. So having a 3.0 device isn't neccesarily a huge jump in price.

Until 3.0 becomes commonplace, like 2.0 has, I think the best use of this would be to add a single 3.0 to a computer with the rest of the ports being 2.0, for use when the average person may need to transfer a large amount of data, like when I had to transfer about 450 gigs of stuff from my old external drive to the newer Seagate I bought.

Last edited:

stegomon

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987/1990
Make / Model
fords and only
Transmission
Manual
dang i am still using windows 3.11....guess i need to upgrade :)

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I've got a legit '95 Cd if you are interested...or get wild and go '98...SE!!:headbang:

Not too many years ago a real 'Geek' had to have the latest processor or video card...You needed them to run the latest software or game.

Even back then it took a couple of years for USB to be standardized and now most new computer hardware is only needed if you are building or replacing a defective unit. USB 3.0 is just about a useless upgrade and if buying new would be on the bottom list of my requirements.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Someone was recently telling me I should get USB 3.0 enclosures....

USB 3.0 is a new standard and it's too early to tell if it will survive in the marketplace.

Frankly I went eSATA as most of the drives I'm accumulating now are SATA notebook drives...

AD

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
Someone was recently telling me I should get USB 3.0 enclosures....

USB 3.0 is a new standard and it's too early to tell if it will survive in the marketplace.

Frankly I went eSATA as most of the drives I'm accumulating now are SATA notebook drives...

AD
I'm pretty sure it will survive as it's not a new standard but a backwards compatable update to 2.0.

But as stated before the only need for it is for high speed transfers on external drives and as you pointed out there is already E-SATA for that.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
its possible to use USB in win 3.1 via special dos drivers, but its mainly limited to disk drives.

as for usb 3.0, i wouldn't replace a computer cause of it, usb 1.1 is still sufficent for me as i only use my usb port for an occasional flash drive. if we did need usb 3.0, im sure there will be a pci/pci-e expansion board on the market for it also so a new pc wont be nessecery.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
They now give solid state hard drives at my college. I'm the unlucky who got a regular last year...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals