• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

anyone got advice?

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
So, my faithful ford ranger is really starting to show its 14 years of service in NYS (2 words: road salt) slow engine oil leakout of valve cover, front differential seals leaking, transfer case slow dripping. power steering fluid slow dripping...driveshaft is shot to hell...my parents tell me to fix it, but honestly, i think a newer vehicle is in order. what do y'all think? would you keep it? or sell it as is and grab a newer truck? the rust underneath is unbelievable. pretty much every bolt you remove breaks without a torch.

sholzy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Leaks are usually just gaskets or seals needing replaced. If mechanically the truck is still running good why get rid of it? I'm assuming by "drive shaft" you are referring to the u-joints? They are easy to replace.

I would just repair the leaks and u-joints and drive it until it until the wheels fall off (or the motor gives up the ghost). Cheaper than a new (or used) truck.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Tighten your sealtbelt, drive her into a tree, and collect the insurance! Then come down here and getcha one that hasn't EVER seen salt!
Big JIm

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Leaks are usually just gaskets or seals needing replaced. If mechanically the truck is still running good why get rid of it? I'm assuming by "drive shaft" you are referring to the u-joints? They are easy to replace.

I would just repair the leaks and u-joints and drive it until it until the wheels fall off (or the motor gives up the ghost). Cheaper than a new (or used) truck.
well, i know the valve cover gaskets are bad. i grew up on a farm. do all my own repairs so i'm good with vehicles. but i've seen the amount of digging i have to do to get to those... we put a new clutch in 4k miles ago...its not the u joints, there all new. its either excessive play somewhere, or the slip yoke. it runs great, tranny is in good shape besides the 3rd gear synchro getting rough. i could do all the repairs, but i really just don't have time. just started a new job and i cant afford to be without a vehicle at all right now. the only reason i don't see it worthy fixing it, is that the rot is going to make it non passable for NYS soon...

Tighten your sealtbelt, drive her into a tree, and collect the insurance! Then come down here and getcha one that hasn't EVER seen salt!
Big JIm
i'd like to do that actually, but we removed collision off of it bout 3 months ago :/

Nhaz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998 and a few
Make / Model
Ranger+Ranger+E
Engine Size
4.0 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
You can help stop the rot by coating it in oil. The entire underbody. Its messy and it makes it pretty much impossible to not get covered in grime when you have to work on it.

So when those valve cover gaskets start to leak a small amount. just think of the area that oil covers that wont rust! In all honesty the oil that leaks out of a engine rarely covers anything enough to stop serious rust.

And I usually drive something till it dies. and depending on what dies I usually fix it. when I get rid of a vehicle its usually got to be really bad or its cheaper for me to just buy another.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
well, i may go look at this today:

http://rochester.craigslist.org/cto/1899338860.html

i'm not a GMC fan, but right now, i have the money for that, and thats about how much it would cost to fix my old truck...me and my bro might do the front axle seals and u joints...i didn't want to get into it really. because i'm afraid of what else i'll have to replace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals