• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone ever lower the Ranger Edge?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My Bad. I was confused. I thought You wanted to lower the truck, as in " a lowered Ranger". It seems you want to keep the off road appearance, but just lower it ONE inch. A lot of work for one inch, IMO. Why not just replace tires with smaller diameter, since it looks like you might have to do that after you "lower" it anyways, and skip the smaller blocks.

FWIW I'm an idiot when it comes to 'lifted" trucks and the purpose of a 2wd truck lifted with +30" tires is baffling to me. I'll just sit and watch from afar from now on.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
My Bad. I was confused. I thought You wanted to lower the truck, as in " a lowered Ranger". It seems you want to keep the off road appearance, but just lower it ONE inch. A lot of work for one inch, IMO. Why not just replace tires with smaller diameter, since it looks like you might have to do that after you "lower" it anyways, and skip the smaller blocks.

FWIW I'm an idiot when it comes to 'lifted" trucks and the purpose of a 2wd truck lifted with +30" tires is baffling to me. I'll just sit and watch from afar from now on.
Well brother, I certainly understand the confusion.

It seems as though everybody wants a "lifted" truck even though it provides no real benefit to the daily driver who never goes off road. No wonder why they made the Edge! It looks bad ass. And yes, it seems like other manufacturers have done the same. So we drive those "lifted" one wheel wonders to the grocery store and put in an occasional appearance at the local Dairy Queen on a Saturday night and feel "studly" when we do.

No offense at all you four wheel drive owners. Truth is, I'm jealous. I looked for one for a very long time. It seems as though you guys don't want to sell them either.

The lift on the Edge is not a true lift, of course, at least for those without 4WD. The drivetrain remains at normal height. The center of gravity is therefore somewhat lower (and maybe safer). The "lift" does offer some advantages. It provides an opportunity to install bigger tires, gain more traction, and allows for better visibility in traffic.

Still there are inconveniences. It's difficult to reach into the bed area. My wife, who is a self professed clutz, has difficulty getting in even with the nerf step I installed last year. So I'm going for the small convenience of (maybe) better handling and easier access.

My hope is that a two inch lift block along with a crank or two on the front torsion bars will help, that it may not stiffen the ride too much or even require new shocks.

As soon as the weather warms, I'm going out to the boneyard for a limited slip axle anyway, maybe a Ford Explorer or a recent model Ranger with disc brakes. Whatever is better! I might as well pull some shorter 2" blocks.

And I am not looking to go counter trend either, no "truxarosa," nothing lowered all the way.

Thanks again for your comments. They got me thinking!

Attachments

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
To me, there wasn’t much of a difference before and after. There is a difference but not that much of one. That may or may not make a difference to your significant other.

Now comparing the truck height to my 2019 Ranger. There is a significant difference getting in and out of it, especially getting in the bed compared to my 2011.

I hope the project works out how you want it to.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The shock length won't change... any shock that fits now will fit after you turn down the front a bit.

You can certainly turn the torsion bars down... even one turn... and see where you're at. If you find an 08 or newer 4x4... I would grab both the rear blocks and the torsion keys as @sgtsandman said. You probably have the thread space on your current keys for a turn... but the later keys were designed to specifically lower the front of torsion bar trucks.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I would imagine the change is small, but well worth doing, especially this year. I plan to remove the tub and swap rear axle anyway.

I am no mechanic, but I would also expect that shorter lift blocks might soften the effect of axle wrap. It should also reduce drag, make the bottom side a little more streamlined. I do have larger tires: Cooper 255-70-R15. A little lift is good. Perhaps even with a little luck I could go down by 1 1/2 inches without having to replace shocks and other suspension parts.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Well brother, I certainly understand the confusion.

It seems as though everybody wants a "lifted" truck even though it provides no real benefit to the daily driver who never goes off road. No wonder why they made the Edge! It looks bad ass. And yes, it seems like other manufacturers have done the same. So we drive those "lifted" one wheel wonders to the grocery store and put in an occasional appearance at the local Dairy Queen on a Saturday night and feel "studly" when we do.

No offense at all you four wheel drive owners. Truth is, I'm jealous. I looked for one for a very long time. It seems as though you guys don't want to sell them either.

The lift on the Edge is not a true lift, of course, at least for those without 4WD. The drivetrain remains at normal height. The center of gravity is therefore somewhat lower (and maybe safer). The "lift" does offer some advantages. It provides an opportunity to install bigger tires, gain more traction, and allows for better visibility in traffic.

Still there are inconveniences. It's difficult to reach into the bed area. My wife, who is a self professed clutz, has difficulty getting in even with the nerf step I installed last year. So I'm going for the small convenience of (maybe) better handling and easier access.

My hope is that a two inch lift block along with a crank or two on the front torsion bars will help, that it may not stiffen the ride too much or even require new shocks.

As soon as the weather warms, I'm going out to the boneyard for a limited slip axle anyway, maybe a Ford Explorer or a recent model Ranger with disc brakes. Whatever is better! I might as well pull some shorter 2" blocks.

And I am not looking to go counter trend either, no "truxarosa," nothing lowered all the way.

Thanks again for your comments. They got me thinking!
does this mean you have a 2wd Ranger??? with torsion bars up front???
if yes on both counts look into 2001 Sport Track 2wd knuckles. check the distance between the lower ball joint and the center of the axle shaft.
Rumor has it they lower the front about 1/2 inch.
I have a set to take measurements on.

HOWEVER...... those knuckles have 12" front rotors, great unless you have 15" wheels because they (15s) won't fit over 12" front brakes.

the 2010/2011 Rangers have standard rear disk brakes
HOWEVER....they don't have the speed sensor on the center housing.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Yes. This is a two wheel drive open axle 2003 Ranger Edge with torsion bars up front and those lift 3" blocks in back. I do have 15" wheels too.

I was planning to hunt down a Ford Explorer rear axle with limited slip and rear discs, find some 2" blocks, a modest change that would require a minimum of other new parts.

This summer I hope to pull the tub off, restore the back half of the old frame, and work on changing the suspension. I am a rookie.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When you lower the 03 by 1.5" in the rear, it gets to the same ride height as the later 4x4 models where they used the smaller lift block, and set the front about 1" lower. Removing that lift block, or replacing it with the smaller one from the later Rangers and lowering the T-bars on the front will not affect the ride stiffness at all, unless you go so far in the front that you are bottoming out on the bump stops. I did the lowering you want on my 03 FX4 when I had it, and loved it. I didn't lower the 09 because it has those smaller lift blocks from the factory.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
You just made my day! I was hoping this idea would work. Now I know! I would imagine that there is some improvement in handling along with accessibility: reaching into the pickup bed,loading and unloading, along with some ease in getting in and out. My partner, for example, is just 5'1"

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Did you need keys? Or were you able to crank the torsion bars down?

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The torsion bars can be adjusted so the ride height is lower without any parts changes. However, the adjusting bolts will tend to move on their own, so I suggest you put some loctite on the exposed threads before you adjust them so that once set they will want to stay in place. I have to raise the front of my 09 up periodically because the bolts won't stay in place and it gradually creeps down so its bouncing off the bump stops. (And of course, one moves more than the other so I have to work to get it all square again each time.)

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Once again, you made my day!

Stumblefoot

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Axle wrap? even with a 4.0 they don't and you have larger tires? No axle wrap..this ain't NHRA it's low power mini trucks Ford Rangers 2.3L 3.0 and 4.0L none make enough HP to worry about axle wrap.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
A video showing axel wrap:
A second video showing one way to reduce the effect.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals