• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone else built/updated their computer recently?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
I did similar, Windows on the 256gb SSD and the data on the 3 TB spin drive.

Need to upgrade my ssd lol
Yes the ssd fills up quick because we want to put everything on the fast hard drive lol.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I bought: HIDevolution MSI Prestige 14 A10SC 14” FHD | Grey with Blue Diamond Cut | 1.6 GHz i5-10210U, GTX 1650 Max-Q, 16GB 2133MHz RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD

I have been using the same Acer Aspire One since 2007. I have built a few computers for gaming, but not heavy stuff. Minecraft, Age of Empires, Half Life, Civ--I don't know the generations of those games off the top of my head. I play some with the kids to be involved. The stuff I build seems to eventually tank the hard drive. I used SSDs only for the last 5 or more years. I even had an Alienware for a while. It tanked a few hard drives. But my old Acer Aspire is still what I use to work because it has never failed in 13 years.

I have good hopes for this MSI Prestige to replace in full the Aspire One. It's a little bigger--it is sitting on top of the Aspire one at the moment as I type. I've had it for 6 months playing games and getting it hot. It's been perfect. It deals with heat really well. Eurotruck 2 and Flight Simulator I do most. It says it has a 1.6 GHz processor but it runs way past that. Almost 4 GHz or more when it needs to. It's really great for something that weighs less than the handgun I carry around. I haven't used a desktop in 6 months. This is just a netbook that would kick my last desktops ass.

I have an AMD FX-9590, RX-480 computer. This little netbook beats it up on passmark. It gets hot, but it deals with it.

It fits in my motorcycle box. In 6 months if it still works I will make it my main machine and retire the 13 year-old Acer Aspire One as my primary machine.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
No, but I would like to do both.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I absolutely love age of empires. I own every one of them. It was one of the first pc games I played

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
I got a ryzen 3 2200G,16gb, 7200rpm 2tb drive,amd radeon r9 200 video card, a 900watt ps, I can play war thunder in HD, wot and wow run great. I have a similar computer with intel processor, only 1tb hard drive and 800 ps. That way when grandkids come over they can use that one. We platoon in wot, and division in wow. I am going to upgrade the processors soon.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Ever miss the days of dial up modems and 256k processors? probably not, but It was enough to play DOOM lol

Is it just me or has Fry's electronics been stocking shelves with weird unrelated household stuff? My local one has gardening stuff?!

Is it all Newegg and Tigerdirect now?

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Man I remember playing swat 4 on dial up. It was miserable. I haven't bought anything from Tigerdirect in a while now. Newegg seems to have more products better deals and prices.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I played a ton of games on dialup in the early 2000's... StarCraft, Quake III, Unreal Tournament.... man those were the days.

I've been using the same desktop PC for about 10 years. It's an old HP thing with a quad core AMD Phenom and 8GB RAM. I put an SSD in it and it's still working pretty well but is getting to be a bit slow at times. I just came across a pretty sweet laptop though, it is a HP Z-Book with an i5 CPU. Was pretty fast to begin with but I dropped 32GB RAM and an SSD in it... it just rips now.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Oh man I totally forgot about Quake and Unreal...Both awesome!

I remember strolling the virgin megastore aisles starting with the cassette tape, then the CD's, then make my way to PC games shelves. The graphics on the packaging were awesome. And bringing home something tangible that you own now was so much more satisfying than just downloading and paying subscriptions like we do now. Those were the days.....

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Original Call of Duty on PC. I even built a separate computer to use as a dedicated server so me and my buddies could play on it. best quote from a player that joined: "Why is 97RangerXLT's ping zero?" One of my buddies replied: "He hacks"

AJ

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've played all of the call of duty's. My favorite are the early ones. Simple and to the point.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I really liked Rainbow 6 on PC.....A buddy of mine was known for 24hr sessions of Counterstrike.
I remember a builder friend had some liquid cooled rig with a video card the size of a toaster built for playing Crysis.

When SSD's first came out they were pretty expensive for only a few gigs, so we would use them for boot up only and still run a disc drive too. Now they are dirt cheap with plenty of capacity.

Flat screens went from rare and expensive to free with purchase.

What is awesome but also sucks is the latest and greatest chip, video card, motherboard etc... is obsolete in 3-6 months.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield Vietnam... those were our LAN party games back in the day. I didn't get into Rainbow 6. A lot of my gaming was single player stuff though - Max Payne, the GTA series up to San Andreas, FEAR, Vampire, Borderlands I and II, Halo, so many good games.

My gaming career started on the Mac platform in the late 90's and I stuck with that until about 2003 or so when I built a PC with a 900MHz AMD Duron in it. That got me by for a while, upgraded to an Athlon 1400, still have that machine. I built a few more after that and kinda lost interest in games probably around 2013ish... after I had about 200 hours into Borderlands 2, I was just kinda burned out and my computer (that HP Phenom based deal above) was just barely squeaking by for that game.

I probably won't get back into games much, too many other hobbies to pursue but I still have a dozen or so old computers set up in the basement so I can take a trip into nostalgia land anytime I want to.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
oh man I forgot about BF 1942. did you ever do the desert mod on it? that was great, basically turned it into a modern Iraq/ Kuwait style game with Hummers and F-16s and modern weaponry.

I first got into online gaming playing Aliens vs Predator 2. that was a blast. played it until they pulled the servers. I did create my own server for that as well, but didn't use it as much as I did for CoD and BF 42.

I still have my old AMD 2700 XP that I played those games on... gave the AMD 2700 that I used for a dedicated server to a friend.

May have to install WinXP on a virtual machine sometime and reinstall those games....

AJ

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Well I pushed out the rebuild as far I could and the CPU died. The new parts will be delivered today so I will be up and running tonight at some point.

New parts:
ASUS TUF Gaming X570 Pro (wi-fi) motherboard
AMD Ryzen 5800X CPU 8 core 16 thread
G.Skill Ripjaws V series (F4-3600C16D-GVKC) 2X8GB dimms =16GB @3600 spd
CoolerMaster AIO cpu cooler

The rest I will be reusing to keep costs down for now plus GPU prices are doubled from what the msrp is so I'm holding off on a new gpu.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals