• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone electrifying?

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Residential solar costs are down 64% on average since 2010:

Demand has been increasing during that time, but supply has outpaced it. If you're worried about energy costs in the future, then take action now to reduce or eliminate dependence on a utility company. If you think solar prices will increase going forward, then now is also a good time to buy.

There are certainly places where solar makes more sense than others, but it can be done pretty much anywhere. It's just a function of how large the system needs to be. If you want to control your own energy production and costs, then there's no time like the present to actually do something about it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
What kind of emissions to the Cars in Brazil have? They get there gas from sugarcane, and are not dependent on "fossil fuels" like we are. Is it just like "ethanol"
Sugarcane is a better source to make ethanol than corn in several ways. We already had the corn, so that is what we went with.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
They won’t do it until they can figure out how to make a continuous income stream from it and they have to make them idiot proof to a certain level of idiot.
If you think something can be made idiot proof, you're underestimating idiots.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Thus the key words "a certain level of idiot". There is always a better idiot.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Not possible to make anything idiot proof, history teaches us that
We just make a better idiot, ain't progress grand :)
This is why I use the term “idiot resistant” instead of “idiot proof”.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Lol... It'll be global cooling cause everyone's solar panels are soaking up all the heat
Bring it on! Georgia summers could stand to loose a few degrees and I'd love to see a decent (for middle Georgia) blanket of snow at home for at least a few days during the winter.

Only issue I have with the buy now and be prepared argument for solar is that solar panels do have a life expectancy. They will have to be replaced. Same can be said for everything, but even if you buy now you aren't getting ahead of the price increase.

Isn't the process of making solar cells about as damaging to the environment as making batteries? What gets done with the old/damaged ones when time to replace?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I think they use them in the desert areas of the souh western states to fry birds flying above them.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Rum>Anything from corn
I just can't think that I would enjoy bacon in my rum as well as I do on my corn meal waffles.

oldgeek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
No, not "underestimating", but rather, "challenging".

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
They also have a thing about mustaches. If you are married you must have a beard, but it's against their religion to have a mustache at any point. Mustaches are a gateway drug to modern society.
Mustaches have nothing to do with modern society. Way back when, soldiers grew mustaches, so they are seen as a symbol of war. As pacifists, then, they do not grow mustaches.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only issue I have with the buy now and be prepared argument for solar is that solar panels do have a life expectancy. They will have to be replaced. Same can be said for everything, but even if you buy now you aren't getting ahead of the price increase.

Isn't the process of making solar cells about as damaging to the environment as making batteries? What gets done with the old/damaged ones when time to replace?
Show me something that doesn't need replacement over time. Show me something that doesn't pollute during it's manufacturing. Mining is damaging. Fracking is damaging. Drilling for oil is damaging. Flooding areas to create resevoirs for hydro is damaging. Nuclear can be damaging.

There is no perfect energy solution. But that doesn't mean that some aren't better than others. Reducing demand for energy from a fossil fueled grid with cleaner options is a good step in the right direction. It benefits:
-the consumer (increased independence and potential money savings)
-the utility (less demand during peak times smooths demand curves and requires fewer upgrades to 'the grid')
-the environment (fewer fossil fuels required to provide energy).
Anything chosen will require some amount of maintenance, repair, and eventual replacement but so do wires, transformers and turbines that provide electricity from the utility or pipes, pumps and trucks that supply and transport natural gas and other fossil fuels.

Again, it's not about finding the perfect option because that doesn't exist. It's about finding the least bad option while hopefully reducing consumption in general. The world will surpass 8 billion humans this year. They can't all live like Americans have for the last 70 years when the population was 2.5 billion. It will require lifestyle change of some sort. The question is what steps can be taken to improve efficiency enough that lifestyle change is kept to a minimum?

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Show me something that doesn't need replacement over time. Show me something that doesn't pollute during it's manufacturing. Mining is damaging. Fracking is damaging. Drilling for oil is damaging. Flooding areas to create resevoirs for hydro is damaging. Nuclear can be damaging.

There is no perfect energy solution. But that doesn't mean that some aren't better than others. Reducing demand for energy from a fossil fueled grid with cleaner options is a good step in the right direction. It benefits:
-the consumer (increased independence and potential money savings)
-the utility (less demand during peak times smooths demand curves and requires fewer upgrades to 'the grid')
-the environment (fewer fossil fuels required to provide energy).
Anything chosen will require some amount of maintenance, repair, and eventual replacement but so do wires, transformers and turbines that provide electricity from the utility or pipes, pumps and trucks that supply and transport natural gas and other fossil fuels.

Again, it's not about finding the perfect option because that doesn't exist. It's about finding the least bad option while hopefully reducing consumption in general. The world will surpass 8 billion humans this year. They can't all live like Americans have for the last 70 years when the population was 2.5 billion. It will require lifestyle change of some sort. The question is what steps can be taken to improve efficiency enough that lifestyle change is kept to a minimum?
I dont feel its right to ask people to change their lifestyle to meet the confines of "clean" energy when that money and effort could be better spent on building things to help people cope with the effects of "climate change", and we just continue on our normal lives.

Cause...the earth is going to do what its going to do and theres nothing we can do.

Also...atleast historically, birthrates go down and death rates go up when resources are scarce. The reason for the population boom of the last 60 yrs or whatever is due to cheap readily available resources, and people living longer.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Bring it on! Georgia summers could stand to loose a few degrees and I'd love to see a decent (for middle Georgia) blanket of snow at home for at least a few days during the winter.

I think the expected life for panels is 10-15 years, depending on the quality of the panel.

Batteries are a crap shoot anymore. One used to be able to get 5-7 years out of a standard vehicle lead acid battery but not anymore. It seems that 5 years is the upper limit now.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I think the expected life for panels is 10-15 years, depending on the quality of the panel.

Batteries are a crap shoot anymore. One used to be able to get 5-7 years out of a standard vehicle lead acid battery but not anymore. It seems that 5 years is the upper limit now.
Depends on the batteries. Both my interstates are going strong and going on 8 yrs old.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals