• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody use security cameras in/on their house?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Two of them can see the public road and sidewalk.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
This is my warning sign...

415Fsg5L1OL.__AC_SY300_SX300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why should everyone else be punished for her being trusting?

She gets robbed because she can't bother to put her keys inside and then everyone else's insurance rates in the neighborhood go up...

View attachment 63067
I always heard if the keys are in the car it isn't really stolen to insurance.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I always heard if the keys are in the car it isn't really stolen to insurance.
:dunno:

Kinda my point. If you don't take the most basic of precautions then why should an insurance company or anyone for that matter care or be required to do anything about it?

But insurance companies will assess stuff like renters an homeowners insurance based on crime rates in an area, so a few cars get "stolen" because people leave the keys in them and then all of a sudden everyone else in the neighborhood is paying higher premiums.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
This is my warning sign...

View attachment 63089

"Please break into my house while i'm gone, I have guns you can steal"

I feel the same way about NRA or "If you are found here at night you will be found here in the morning" stickers.

My as well just put a sign, "There is a gun in the glove box, help yourself."

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Who keeps a gun in their glovebox? :icon_rofl:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
"Please break into my house while i'm gone, I have guns you can steal"

I feel the same way about NRA or "If you are found here at night you will be found here in the morning" stickers.

My as well just put a sign, "There is a gun in the glove box, help yourself."
The other problem is with signs like that is people have been prosecuted in what would be otherwise considered a “good shoot”. Supposedly the sign proves intent or some BS like that. Obviously some areas would be more inclined to use something like that in a prosecution case than others. So, YMMV.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When you take possession or otherwise remove possession from lawful owner then its stealing
"theft is taking the property of someone else with the intent to take it away temporarily or permanently from its rightful owner."

Doesn't matter if its unlocked or keys are in it or not bolted down or secured with a chain/cable and/or padlock
Insurance companies can't deny a claim unless they can prove the insured was the instigator of the theft or loss
Leaving keys in a vehicle might not be the smartest thing to do but insurance company would have to prove you did it to instigate the theft, i.e. thief is caught and tells police you told him the keys were in it and where it would be

I have owned a few convertibles, you NEVER EVER lock a convertible because thief will just cut open the soft top and reach in to unlock the door
Is that inviting theft?

Had a 1972 Cougar convertible, new girl friend locked passenger door..............happened to be on a night a thief came along
He cut the top on passenger side to open passenger door, assume he never checked drivers side, it was unlocked
He got some sunglasses and loose change
Kept the car, got a new girl friend

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Same reason I gave for not locking my car doors. Thieves around here will stroll through a parking lot, see something they like and smash the window, grab what they can and run.

So first, don't keep valuables in your car but sometimes crackheads will just take anything so might as well leave the door unlocked so they can steal the spare change without me needing to clean broken glass and replace the window.

They aren't going to steal the car itself (unless you're so dumb you leave the keys in it) so you're protecting your valuables by leaving it unlocked. The window being the most valuable item.

I also have a fake blinky light alarm and fake alarm stickers which keeps most crackheads away. They want quick an easy smash and grab stuff. And altogether there's maybe $40 bucks worth of stuff in my glovebox and behind the seats. If I carry anything expensive it goes with me when I leave the truck or I put my toolbox in the bed with locks on it.

My house has visible cameras. 2 120 pound German shepherds, 2 75 pound pigs inside, and 6 150 pound pigs in the back yard. So you can only get in through the front of the house unless you wanna jump through the pig pen (which is clearly marked as a TERRIBLE idea). My property also has guard dog signs and no trespassing signs everywhere. I don't actually have any "I'll shoot you" signs, I just think they are funny.

My back door is never locked. Cause of there being pigs back there but my front door does get locked when I'm not home.

I feel like my security measures for both my cars and my home are rational, effective, and legal.

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The biggest theft deterrent for most thieves is a locked vehicle and no valuable items left out where they can see them. If they are left out (mobile radios as an example), have them mounted in such a way that it’s obvious it’s going to take some work and time to steal them or have them in nondescript containers that clue them in that something valuable is inside.

Blue 92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Supercab
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Back when we got hit we had an old gen camera that did not have notifications for motion detected. The new set up sends a pretty timely email so when we aren't home we can check and see what set the alarm off. Hoping if someone is there we can get the sheriff out quick enough and catch them in the act.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Awhile back, years ago, my Ranger with canopy was parked in my driveway, I don't lock doors or canopy, unless I am working in a "bad area"
Went out one morning to grab a screwdriver out of the back and all my power tool cases were gone, "I have been ROBBED!"
Called police to report it, to get a case number for insurance, home owners or car
Women answering the call took the info and gave me a case number, then said, "check under and around any larger bushes or behind buildings, around the neighborhood where the tools could be hidden"
Got off the phone and had a look
Found everything under a bush across the street..............................WTF???

She said thieves are usually on foot and wouldn't want to be carrying stolen items around at from 11pm to 6am, a red flag for police on patrol
She said they will hide the stolen property near by and return in a few days, in a vehicle, to get the stuff

I got my stuff and watched but never saw anyone return
And only time in 25 years in the same house that there has been any theft, even in the neighborhood, and there actually was no "theft" just a relocation, lol, and return

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Awhile back, years ago, my Ranger with canopy was parked in my driveway, I don't lock doors or canopy, unless I am working in a "bad area"
Went out one morning to grab a screwdriver out of the back and all my power tool cases were gone, "I have been ROBBED!"
Called police to report it, to get a case number for insurance, home owners or car
Women answering the call took the info and gave me a case number, then said, "check under and around any larger bushes or behind buildings, around the neighborhood where the tools could be hidden"
Got off the phone and had a look
Found everything under a bush across the street..............................WTF???

She said thieves are usually on foot and wouldn't want to be carrying stolen items around at from 11pm to 6am, a red flag for police on patrol
She said they will hide the stolen property near by and return in a few days, in a vehicle, to get the stuff

I got my stuff and watched but never saw anyone return
And only time in 25 years in the same house that there has been any theft, even in the neighborhood, and there actually was no "theft" just a relocation, lol, and return
Perhaps what really happened was a good samaritan had spotted some sketchy looking characters looking in people's cars, acting quickly he took all your valuables out of your truck to hide them from the would be thieves. But before he could find you to return your items and explain how he saved the day, he was killed by brain eating amoeba's.

You can't prove that's not what happened...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Perhaps what really happened was a good samaritan had spotted some sketchy looking characters looking in people's cars, acting quickly he took all your valuables out of your truck to hide them from the would be thieves. But before he could find you to return your items and explain how he saved the day, he was killed by brain eating amoeba's.

You can't prove that's not what happened...
No I can not disprove it but would have preferred transdimensional Bigfoot being included in that or similar theories about the "alleged theft"
"brain eating amoeba's" seems so common place :)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
No I can not disprove it but would have preferred transdimensional Bigfoot being included in that or similar theories about the "alleged theft"
"brain eating amoeba's" seems so common place :)
Someone just recently spotted and photographed a Bigfoot…

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals