• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody use security cameras in/on their house?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I want one to be able to see the front and rear of my house when I'm not home. Something I can view on my phone. Just wondering what others are using, if you like it, and what it costs?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I have a bunch. 6 are outdoor cams made by uniden and while the cameras are great the phone app for them absolutely sucks. The ones on my front and back porch are "BluRams" which are awesome and the app is really nice.

The good BluRams cams that have pan, tilt, zoom go for about $50-100 bucks each depending on the model.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Do you want to record what goes on or just see "live" video?

Do you have a WiFi signal reaching to the locations outside where you would want a camera located?
And is there 110vAC power at the location?

There are many WiFi exterior rated security cameras, most have SD card slots that can be used to record video but for a limited time even with motion detection, because outside images change ALOT, i.e. wind blows plants and sunlight changes during the day
Get one with IR as that shows better images at night

Most have APPs with DDNS so you can view live or recordings on or off-site on a phone or computer

AVOID Cloud storage as that gets expensive, there should be NO monthly fee

A 4 channel NVR(network video recorder) is best but...................you need to run Cat5 or 6 wire from NVR location to each camera, the wire does both video and power
These can record for months and can be accessed via APP or Computer on or off-site

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I think I have 256GB cards in each of my wifi cameras, they are set to record constantly on a loop and I'm pretty sure they record way over a week before they start recording over old video which is plenty of time for you to notice your house was robbed and go back to check the video...

One thing if you go that route is make sure the camera is in a secure location so a theif can't just reach over to it and steal the SD card...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Or steal the whole camera, lol

The selling point of most is "easy to install DIY" which makes them pretty easy to steal, if accessible

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
Depends on how "secure" you want them to be. Most of the easy setup cameras with phone apps are really insecure and could allow someone to connect to your cameras without your knowledge.

Mine are no-name cheap hard wired cameras with a 1TB hard drive for local storage. I much prefer hard wired as "wireless" is a farce since you still need power wire. I have firewall blocking all connections to and from the DVR as it's constantly trying to phone home to some chinese server. HD quality isn't the best but I can still see full 360 around house with just 6 cameras.

Eventually I plan a whole house network, security, camera system from Ubiquiti but they are very expensive https://www.ui.com/camera-security/

DeathRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000 and 2019
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
2.3 L 4 cyl ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
This is my Ranger. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I want it to be able to record so I can go back and see what happened. I also want to be able to look live in case I want to see what my dog is doing while I'm gone.

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
My daughter has Ring for her front door and just replaced the camera inside with Blink.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I saw some commercial the other day about a camera system that would link with google nest (I dont know what the commercial was for) and you could see on your tv who was at the door. I have a system I bought off of fleabay but havent had time to set it up, dont know much about it either. Since I may be moving soon I may wait until Im moved but the way things are going I dont know when that will be, Looked at 3 places in the last week and the last one I offered 15K more then they were asking for the property and still didnt get it. Getting really pissed about this game.

cschannuth

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
255/60-15
My credo
Expect nothing and I’m like really disappointed
We have ring cameras and they are unbelievably clear and easy to use and you have unlimited recording ability for free. Also, if neighbors have the ring system you can link up and be notified if there’s problems in the area. You can also link many devices to the ring system and get to all of the information through the ring app. The only downside is they are expensive and the faster your Wi-Fi the better.

2drxploder

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
lower
Tire Size
235 on 15s
got ring doorbell and floodlight. work well enough for what i need.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
My parents got a Lorax setup, wired cameras, hard drive box. Don’t have it fully set up but it works. Pain to run wires, but it is what it is. I got them a tamper resistant dome for by the front door. All the rest of the cameras are out of reach unless you have a ladder. Tamper resistant one was some off brand camera but it works surprisingly well at 1080p

I have one of the Harbor Freight versions for my property but need more cameras, only have 4, but the box supports 8.

My mechanic buddy in town has one of the Harbor Freight ones with a full set of 8 cameras. Police have reviewed the footage on more than one occasion and have actually solved a couple crimes from them. The first was someone slashing tires. The yahoo can be seen running across the alley, takes a knee next to the car on the pad, looks directly at the camera, then proceeds to slash the tire and run off. Apparently one of the front cameras caught him slashing another tire down the street. They also caught a lady who flew in reverse down the alley and smashed a car on his pad, then pulled around front and went into a neighboring house. So apparently it’s good enough, lol

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
We use a Defender 8 channel system, hardwired. 1T internal storage capability. The phone app is free and works pretty darn good.. Record Search on the unit is simple and easy to use -- and I use it all the time -- lots of things go bump in the night around here.
We combined that with Simply Safe sensors for entry, windows, smoke and water - very inexpensive and very simple to install and operate. We do pay for monitoring, but you don't have to have that.

Lots of cool stuff out there to choose from. At first I thought I wanted a wireless system - didn't want to deal with hard wiring everything, but it really wasn't that bad. If you're only doing two cams it should be nothing compared to what you've already dealt with. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals