• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody have experience with Mabbco engines?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Your state has the plague.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well the motor arrived. So far so good. Thankfully it’s only punched 30 over. Couple things I could be picky about. But for the price. I really can’t ask for everything.

ill be checking over the rotating assembly in the following weeks.

Attachments

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
That's not bad for a short block.

I have two 96/97 5.8's that I've been saving for my F150. One ran really rough, the other has very low compression on several cylinders and both have very high miles. I want to build a 408 stroker, hopefully I'll have at least one good block. I hear they crack around the cam bearings fairly often.

May farm it out to a local machine shop. Not a lot of choices though. One I will never use again, another that just changed ownership and a third one that apparently doesn't like to work on Ford engines because he has his machines set up for SBCs and has to burn half a day re-tooling them for anything else (whatever that means.)

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
This has no relevancy now.... But next time... Maabco will ensure you get a block only punched 10 over for like another 100 bucks or so. I didn't think that was too bad.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This has no relevancy now.... But next time... Maabco will ensure you get a block only punched 10 over for like another 100 bucks or so. I didn't think that was too bad.
Hmmmm. They failed to mention that when I asked them about that. Good to know.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The difference between. .030" and .010" is .020"

maxresdefault (2).jpg

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Ah well mabey the motor makes a difference? I was inquiring about a gen1 sbc. Probably wayyy more sbc's than sbf's out there to pick from.

Thanks Dirtman!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Talked to them. They sounded like they had their sh*t together when I was looking for cams. I was impressed.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There a really good company I've used them twice. Great customer support and there employees are all top notch.

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
this is all good news to me! i have a f150 302 block thats in great condition, thinking of rebuilding it. but a few weeks ago i ran across this same company, and i was like there is no way they can do the same short block work for half of a reputable company. i did research for like 10 minutes. it was odd that they had a ton of ebay reviews, but then on the forums it was a mixed basket. mostly a mixed basket of sbc owners.

but then after i thought about how much my local machine ship charges for just the machine work. i was like "how the hell do they even pull this off?"

im assuming its all dirt cheap parts, myself and alot of others i know, have had good luck with engine tech parts. but once you buy the kit, and have the work done at the machine shop, it about matches the price of this company, if not exceeds the price. unless if you get lucky and get an engine that can use stock bearings, which is very rare. but i have had that happen. which i doubt this company has a shit pot full of great rebuilder engines.

1987ranger12394

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
this is all good news to me! i have a f150 302 block thats in great condition, thinking of rebuilding it. but a few weeks ago i ran across this same company, and i was like there is no way they can do the same short block work for half of a reputable company. i did research for like 10 minutes. it was odd that they had a ton of ebay reviews, but then on the forums it was a mixed basket. mostly a mixed basket of sbc owners.

but then after i thought about how much my local machine ship charges for just the machine work. i was like "how the hell do they even pull this off?"

im assuming its all dirt cheap parts, myself and alot of others i know, have had good luck with engine tech parts. but once you buy the kit, and have the work done at the machine shop, it about matches the price of this company, if not exceeds the price. unless if you get lucky and get an engine that can use stock bearings, which is very rare. but i have had that happen. which i doubt this company has a shit pot full of great rebuilder engines.
They are a major reman facility so they would get there rebuild parts wholesale, As well as have an inventory of interchangeable parts your local machine shops will never have anything like that. There also probably tooling multiple engines at once and maintaining a minimum inventory of there most bought engines. A lot of cost for machine work comes from buyers wanting more than a basic reliable rebuild. They will build custom orders and performance engines as well. A fully reman 2.9l with all the extras is 1800 on there website thats not including shiping. They know enough about the engines problems to sell heavy duty heads for the 2.9l as well. At a point its still a remanufactured engine so no matter what its a risk.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals