• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody familiar with this large fitting on p/s pump?

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ive had a leak at this nut for a while and Im just tired of it leaking fluid. Ive wiped that area off a dozen times and Im sure thats where the leak is from. Im attaching a couple pics i’ve run across and Im just curious if the 20 x 3 mm oring in the first pic is correct and thats the likely solution to my leak. Ive tried to find the fitting itself and no luck, maybe it only comes with the reservoir assy.
CA312028-D7B9-4200-8043-3BE4DA070B91.png

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Sounds like it's a check valve. If you can source the o-ring, your leak will probably be fixed. O-rings get old and lose their ability to seal.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
It's not a nut, it's a flow valve, and there are two styles. One like your first picture and another one that is different inside the valve. The difference mainly is in how the hose itself seals to the valve - the first style has a tapered cone/flare fitting and there's a teflon O ring. The other style is just a round piece with a rubber O ring that goes inside the valve.

So with all that in mind it could be leaking in several places - out of the hose itself (teflon or regular O ring, or the internal O ring) or there are TWO o-rings on the valve. More than likely it would be the outer larger one leaking if anything.

I am fighting a leak in the exact same spot and can't seem to find an O ring that will fit. The factory style is a tapered rubber O ring (or it's just been squished over time to resemble a taper.) I have several pumps in my junk pile that all have that style of seal. I bought a power steering pump seal kit and it just came with a normal o-ring that seems a lot thinner and seems to be leaking.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is like the first pic. Instead of trying to find an oring, I figured i could buy the fitting/valve with the orings on it but i guess not. The only place I can find a picture of the thing is on the p/s pump assy, so maybe you have to buy the pump to get it.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
This is the flow valve removed from the pump. You can buy them but there's no reason to, just find a seal that works. Note the larger tapered one that seals against the pump reservoir.

KIMG1814.JPG

And just cuz I had these on my bench, here are the two styles of hoses that screw into the valve
KIMG1813.JPG

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mucho gracias for the pics Shran. It helps a lot to see what Im dealing with. And it’s probably that tapered oring that’s leaking. Could you tell if the oring seat was actually tapered or the oring was just crushed? Kinda looks to be actually tapered.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I should have removed the o-ring for another picture but it's also tapered underneath it... my opinion is that seal is designed to be tapered like that but I've never seen a new one so I can't say for sure. In any case the pump seal kits you can buy at the parts stores only come with a normal o-ring for that spot so they must feel that it is OK... I don't really care for it, a normal o-ring doesn't fit very well.

BuckHunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I'm not mistaken you can buy just the reservoir and the o rings come with it. You will just be left with a new reservoir for a spare I guess.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
If I'm not mistaken you can buy just the reservoir and the o rings come with it. You will just be left with a new reservoir for a spare I guess.
You can but they just come with normal o-rings, not the tapered weird thing.

BuckHunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Aww ok didn't know that.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think a regular o-ring will get that funky shape after being smashed into those tapers for an extended period of time. I suspect it was round to begin with.

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright then, I’ll just get a seal kit and see how well that works. Now that I know what it looks like I aint worried about takin it off and gettin it back on. I appreciate the help guys.

Burnsy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Alright then, I’ll just get a seal kit and see how well that works. Now that I know what it looks like I aint worried about takin it off and gettin it back on. I appreciate the help guys.
Please do a follow up /finishing reply/comment if you resolve it, w a few details etc thx

sickwilly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I think a regular o-ring will get that funky shape after being smashed into those tapers for an extended period of time. I suspect it was round to begin with.
I would bet $$$ that is what happens.

It was awhile ago, but I recall I found a suitable O-ring in one of the O-ring kits Harbor Freight sells (it was a tiny smidgen thicker than the OE one). Unfortunately I don't recall if it was the "viton" type (brown) or regular black, but it's been holding together for I guess about 9-10 years now.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals