• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody ever use a Sterling 10.25?

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
Nevermind. Just clicked that link. That is awesome.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
agreed fully, that's why I said it was a wash, it depends on the terrain, and about a thousand factors, you can either try to float or dig, if you've got some good bedrock under a marginally shallow section of mud, heavy truck with pizza cutters works great, if you've got 10' of mud, you want a light truck, with massively wide tires to stay on top of it.
There is a balance there and it depends a lot on what type of mud you are dealing with. I have never got "staying on top" to work worth a crap, it just makes recovery easier. Being able to dig some but not too much seems to work about the best.

It is kind of disgusting but for all the work I have put into my Ranger, my basically stock F-150 with similar sized tires will outdo it. On the other hand it is kinda nice because whatever the Ranger gets itself into the '150 can get it back out if it will fit.

the gen i 4x4's are about 3200lbs stock, not sure where you added 800lbs, but that is closer to what I was getting at. also, the OP's truck is pretty much stock IIRC, so it's not really accurate to compare your v8 ranger to his application... and 3200 vs 5500, a little more than half the weight 58% actually...
Grille guard, rollbar, driver (270lb), fuel, receiver hitch, drop in bedliner, dual exhaust, Ex 8.8, 31" MT's. I call the V8 a wash because the C5 is far lighter than the A4LD.

Both weights are with me in it and a full tank of gas. If you are comparing to the weights given by Ford they are both quite a bit over. I think Ford gave a weight somewhere in the upper 4k's for the '150.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
There is a balance there and it depends a lot on what type of mud you are dealing with. I have never got "staying on top" to work worth a crap, it just makes recovery easier. Being able to dig some but not too much seems to work about the best.

It is kind of disgusting but for all the work I have put into my Ranger, my basically stock F-150 with similar sized tires will outdo it. On the other hand it is kinda nice because whatever the Ranger gets itself into the '150 can get it back out if it will fit.

Grille guard, rollbar, driver (270lb), fuel, receiver hitch, drop in bedliner, dual exhaust, Ex 8.8, 31" MT's. I call the V8 a wash because the C5 is far lighter than the A4LD.

Both weights are with me in it and a full tank of gas. If you are comparing to the weights given by Ford they are both quite a bit over. I think Ford gave a weight somewhere in the upper 4k's for the '150.

You need one of my old engines. but you would want better axles and a beefed up c5 too. even with 31's. judging by your stated performance margin, you would be like 160-170 to the wheels. unless you never take it past 4500 to 5000 rpm because your not a retard like me. best thing about my rev limiter....one less thing to worry about watching when the fun starts.

270....must be 6,6....how the hell do you fit in a reg cab.?.?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You need one of my old engines. but you would want better axles and a beefed up c5 too. even with 31's. judging by your stated performance margin, you would be like 160-170 to the wheels. unless you never take it past 4500 to 5000 rpm because your not a retard like me. best thing about my rev limiter....one less thing to worry about watching when the fun starts.

270....must be 6,6....how the hell do you fit in a reg cab.?.?
You don't think my D28 would hold up? :icon_twisted:

Whatever it is putting out is "enough" for me. If it is putting out 160 to the wheels it is a marked improvement over the dying 2.8 I put up with for 10 years that would have been lucky to have half that at the flywheel. I know it isn't the fastest thing on the road but it isn't really put together for racing anyway.

It will run about nose to nose with my 5.4 F-150 0-60 though.

I am pretty easy on things, it might hit 4500 if I am feeling spirited but usually it stays well below that. Nowhere near done, I hope to get a D35 under it this summer and an M5OD sometime in the near future.

6'-3" and yes it is tight. :icon_thumby:

Last edited:

Transmarobirdeater

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Automatic
so by your logic if you take someone who is brain dead, but does what other people tell him to do, and buys a 351w, and a 4 speed, because he has the money, that automatically makes him intelligent? SMH

He pieced his 351w and NP235 together out of junkyard parts. He built it his self for practically nothing. He is not brain dead and no one told him to do donuts.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
But conversely, you put a 9" under a miata, you probably couldn't put a big enough motor, and tires to blow that diff, it just doesn't weigh enough!
Actually, they use 8.8's out of 89-97 Thunderbirds for v8 swaps!

I love my Miata!

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually, they use 8.8's out of 89-97 Thunderbirds for v8 swaps!

I love my Miata!
i know they do, but the 8.8 wasn't a part of the conversation, so it's not a good comparison

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals