• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anybody ever use a Sterling 10.25?

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
You live every day, you only die once...
actually, i know of more trucks on this site with the 10.25 than i do the 9... I believe gwaii also has a 10.25 in his ranger (which has 2 tc's, 2 manual transmissions, 1 auto transmission, and is a mid engine 460 with nitrous) (d60 up front?)

the 9" would be the axle i would suggest if it were my call, I can understand the "i've got it i want to use it" mentality though... might be able to make a few bucks getting the 9 for the 10.25, the 9's are way more common IIRC too

i was going to mention samsquanch has one, but he posted before I got a chance :( lol
I've seen gwaiis truck. It's pretty awesome.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
actually, i know of more trucks on this site with the 10.25 than i do the 9...

the 9" would be the axle i would suggest if it were my call, I can understand the "i've got it i want to use it" mentality though... might be able to make a few bucks getting the 9 for the 10.25, the 9's are way more common IIRC too
First off, I am not trying to say don't do the 10.25, if you have one, I am saying take a minute, look at what you have, what is needed for a lighter weight vehicle and look at the overall cost, then decide. Lighter is better on the rocks and in the mud.

Most people believe bigger is better, yes the 10.25 is stronger, but in the case of a Ranger it is weight that really makes the difference. The "I don't care about weight" is just a dead response because if built correctly a 9" will servive most rock and mud situations and with the less weight will help the vehicle's performance overall.

Enough said about the venerable 9" Ford Axle.

The 10.25 will be a great axle to use and should never be a problem once built.
I liked the one the guy cut down, that is sweet, looks good under the truck too.

Someone said there is a Locker for the 10.25, what is available and what are the prices, also what are the pricing on 5.13 gears for the 10.25 ?

Good Luck with the project, it should have great results.

Last edited:

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
First off, I am not trying to say don't do the 10.25, if you have one, I am saying take a minute, look at what you have, what is needed for a lighter weight vehicle and look at the overall cost, then decide. Lighter is better on the rocks and in the mud.

Most people believe bigger is better, yes the 10.25 is stronger, but in the case of a Ranger it is weight that really makes the difference. The "I don't care about weight" is just a dead response because if built correctly a 9" will survive most rock and mud situations and with the less weight will help the vehicle's performance overall.

Enough said about the venerable 9" Ford Axle.

The 10.25 will be a great axle to use and should never be a problem once built.
I liked the one the guy cut down, that is sweet, looks good under the truck too.

Someone said there is a Locker for the 10.25, what is available and what are the prices, also what are the pricing on 5.13 gears for the 10.25 ?

Good Luck with the project, it should have great results.
The reason I said that I'm not too worried about the weight is that the truck will see more road action than in the mud or on the trails. It will see a good bit of off-road action, but it won't be a full time rig. It's going to be kind of a dual purpose rig.

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
The reason I said that I'm not too worried about the weight is that the truck will see more road action than in the mud or on the trails. It will see a good bit of off-road action, but it won't be a full time rig. It's going to be kind of a dual purpose rig.
OK, mostly road work... All the more reason to make a HD Light Weight Vehicle.
I know it will be a great HD truck but I was more saying what I would do.
I have no idea what all the parts cost but it would be good to know.
Post up when you finish it or sell the 10.25... lol !

Good luck on your project !

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
OK, mostly road work... All the more reason to make a HD Light Weight Vehicle.
I know it will be a great HD truck but I was more saying what I would do.
I have no idea what all the parts cost but it would be good to know.
Post up when you finish it or sell the 10.25... lol !

Good luck on your project !
Thanks. I don't know when I will be able to start on it since the Ranger is still at my old house. I still have to load it up and haul it to where I am living now. I moved in with my dad when my mom passed away last August and that is where the F-250 donor is.

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the vehicle's weight is incredibly important for size of diff needed, if you were to put a 9" under a deuce and a half, it's going to blow, because it's way too small for that much weight, but conversely, you put a 9" under a miata, you probably couldn't put a big enough motor, and tires to blow that diff, it just doesn't weigh enough! same goes for our trucks, the 8.8 is a great diff, and the 9 is just that much better... I'm with the masses, I think for your purposes, the 9" would be a much better bet for you, it will cost about the same, will be almost as strong for the vehicle it's going under. and weigh considerably less, which means less fuel burned. This is a comparison made for drag racing, but it transfers over to daily driving. for every 0.1 second you shave off your quarter mile time, you need to add 10hp, remove 100lbs of stationary weight, or 10lbs of rotational weight, i forget how unsprung weight factors in, i think it's somewhere between rotational and stationary, closer to the rotational factor... essentially, if you were to add 100lbs to your axle, you would probably lose a good half second of time in the quarter mile... this transfers DIRECTLY to fuel economy...

that being said, the 10.25 is a great diff too, it's good enough for the superduty... no one is going to ridicule you for putting it on your truck, if you decide to, we're just trying to give you every angle to look at before you decide, so you can make the most informed choice

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's big, heavy, and most likely will never break. I'm doing a 14 bolt myself and it is just as big and heavy. My vote is go big and beat it for years without a second thought.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
It's big, heavy, and most likely will never break. I'm doing a 14 bolt myself and it is just as big and heavy. My vote is go big and beat it for years without a second thought.

That's kinda what I'm going for with this. It will be used as a work truck too, so it will be doing some hauling and some off-roading. I don't really want to have to do a lot of maintenance on it, so I might as well just go big or go home.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The axle alone won't allow you to haul more. The frame and suspension dictate that. However as light as a ranger is putting an HD axle under it should allow you to beat it on the trails without second thoughts.

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
The axle alone won't allow you to haul more. The frame and suspension dictate that. However as light as a ranger is putting an HD axle under it should allow you to beat it on the trails without second thoughts.

I will most likely be boxing most of the frame if not all of it depending on budget and time at the time of doing all of that. It will get some beefier suspension too. I won't be leaving the stock ranger leaf springs on it and the front suspension will most likely getting solid axle also.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still unless you know how to calculate force moments on the work done it's best to keep the loads to the stock limitations.

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Still unless you know how to calculate force moments on the work done it's best to keep the loads to the stock limitations.

It will be probably over the stock limitations a little bit. When it's done, it will probably be hauling my girlfriends horse trailer around to rodeos and stuff like that. Maybe more than that sometimes. And what would be the best axle to use up front to match the lug pattern of the 10.25?

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Either an 8 lug D44 or a D60

TexasRebel

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 2006
Make / Model
Ford, Nissan
Engine Size
4.0 in both
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Either an 8 lug D44 or a D60
Do those use the same lug pattern as the 10.25? I want them to match so I don't have to worry about different rims for front and back.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
They are the same pattern

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals