• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any recommendations for a driveway ringer?

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm looking to buy a driveway alarm that is wireless but has a hose people drive over and it rings a separate box. We currently have one of those cheap motion detector ones, and roughly 1/2 of the time it goes off there's no one there. We have it mounted away from the sun as much as we can but it still sets it off plus we have wild animals and trees to set it off too. I was going to buy a brand called Dakota Alert but after I searched awhile to find any reviews there was basically only one that was positive. Others had some positive to say but always with something negative. So, does anyone have one that works good? and it has to be wireless, should have a hose to drive over, and the receiver will be at least 300 feet away behind our house and a shed and inside of another shed.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Get one the service stations use. Ask one of them where they got it or Google it. My wireless one works great and never gives a false alarm. I also have cameras hooked up in various areas to watch and see who comes in or who is sneaking about. Motion activated camera picks up people coming into the driveway and sounds the alarm. If you want something that works good don't worry and just pay for it.

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I have a dog... He's pretty dependable. Plus he doesn't 'ding' at family.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There are many wireless door bell devices, some work over 1,000ft, $60 or less

The door part is just a battery operated contact closure, when the two wires touch(button pushed) the remote "bell" sounds.

The rubber hose is sealed at one end with a pressure switch at the other end, lots of pressure switches out there that are NO(normally open) and close when pressure is detected., pressure switches are about $20-$30, rubber hose ??

Seems like you could make your own with easily replaceable/repairable parts.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I've always thought a tripwire and a claymore would be great! Not really. I've been looking at wireless units that shoot a light beam. Break the beam and the receiver dings in the house.

blue83ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I saw the Milton bell people but I never got a chance to look up reviews on them. But while we're on this topic, when my dad built our house he trenched in 2 wires for a driveway ringer connected to the door bell but the hose got mowed off in the early '90's. Assuming I can find the wires again, where would be a cheap place to buy a new switch that goes in the ground for that. Then the house would be covered, but i'll still need to find a good wireless one for the shed. thanks for the suggestions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals