• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any Lightning owners here?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Really! You're kidding! Or just funning me. All the crap some members pass on me for always bringing it up in threads for comparative purposes, and somehow you missed that? LMAO!

I've owned it since late 2009, second owner. Had a little over 34,000 when purchased. Now has a little over 70,000. It holds down a garage floor with a cover over it most of it's life. Might drive it to work today, it's Friday for me this evening. :D
Trust me... we all know you own a Lightning.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Trust me... we all know you own a Lightning.
And on the Lightning site, they all know I own a Ranger. So, problem? I don't see it. I've tried to tone it down some this year. But, say discussing CAIs for example, it can be brought up for comparative purposes, I'll bring it up. I fail to see the problem. There's currently a discussion on trans cross members. I was going to post this there, but refrained. Had a custom tubular cross member made for my Lightning, in I think 2015. Cost me some dough, but worth it in the end. The original stamped steel item had a crack in it. The item behind it is a custom made drive shaft safety loop. Both powder coated to resemble polished aluminum.

Attachments

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Never been around a Lightning but there would be a lot of changes on top the engine I am sure. Probably a different fuel rail too

Apparently my POS plastic intake has a crack in it that only shows its sorry self when it is installed. After putting intake gaskets on it twice it is getting the aluminum intake from a '99. Have to gut the thing like a fish to change the intake and it is getting old fast.
My dad recently had this issue. The plastic chamber/box (?) Exploded. On his 98 5.4

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My dad recently had this issue. The plastic chamber/box (?) Exploded. On his 98 5.4
Kinda related. His is like what I am going to with a metal upper and plastic lower. My current one is all plastic.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Kinda related. His is like what I am going to with a metal upper and plastic lower. My current one is all plastic.
Yep. He had the metal upper. I think his is a mixed breed with some 99 parts sprinkled in from the factory.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yep. He had the metal upper. I think his is a mixed breed with some 99 parts sprinkled in from the factory.
2000 was the first year for the complete plastic intake. Early '99's had the variable runner system like the 97-98's, late '99's didn't.

Dorman does make a metal lower intake which is weird because usually it is the upper that goes bad.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Finally got the Mag-Hytec 16 quart transmission pan installed. Took it to friend's trans shop and we both did the work. First time the transmission fluid and filter have been changed on it in 16 years and 71,000 miles. Trans fluid bright red on draining. Just as a btw, when we changed the fluid and filter on my 07 Stang, it came out brown and smelled bad.

Anyhow, now my trans pan and diff cover match. Finally. Bought these back in 2017 iirc. Did the diff cover back then, took a while to get around to doing the transmission.

Are there any nice differential covers out there for the 7.5 differential? I know TA makes one, just wondering on other options.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals