• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any Lightning owners here?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was badly damaged in a bad accident four years ago, and the only reason my insurance company fixed it was because it's a Lightning. The claims adjuster took one look at it, and said "That's a damn nice Lightning. Don't worry, we'll fix it good as new". They did. And it doesn't even have a salvage title. If it had been anything else, it would be in the boneyard.
I do agree on that bodystyle of F-150, I like it better than the newer ones.

Mine got the crap beat out of it in a hail storm in '14. Came close to totaling it (lower than average miles saved it) Ins cut me a check for $5500 to have a dent pulled on the rear fender (actually from the lawn mower throwing a rock, not the hail storm), new cowl pieces the roof cut out and a new one installed and a new hood painted to match. Nothing happened to the sides aside from the vent visors being destroyed. Figuring right after that I wouldn't have gotten close to $5500 for trade in anyway let alone after a few years I got the cowls from a JY for $20 and pocketed the rest and didn't fix it. Still watching for a nice black hood though, it bugs me.

The '15s look better than the previous '04+ styles... don't think they are worth as much as they think they are worth though. :shok:

Last edited:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
In 2019, I bought a hood for my truck. Guy in Poplar Bluff Missouri did all the work, basically salvaged the hood from a junk yard F-150. Then I drove out there, we put it on, we drank some booze and smoked some cigars, then I drove home. It's a steel cowl hood and I had him add the carbon fiber heat vents on the sides. They are very similar, but larger than the ones that 13/14 Mustangs came with. I also replaced the stock Eaton blower with a Magnum Powers blower. Similar to an Eaton, but the rotors are moved one inch forward in the case, getting them out of the intake tunnel. Makes boost with less heat and makes more whine. Deleted the EGR system while in there. Added an oil separator as well. Replaced the two pulley idler bridge with a three pulley Magnum Powers bridge and three custom made idlers. LIGHTNING badges on the side are aftermarket billet pieces that are about 20% larger than the stock plastic pieces. Relocated power steering reservoir off the top of the motor to a home made bracket on the fan shroud. Enabled me to remove about eight pounds of unsightly brackets from the motor.

Then earlier this year, had stock rims modified. Weldcraft Wheels in Michigan did the work.. Cut three inches out of the 9.5 front rims and put the same three inches on the back rims. So now running 6.5 rims up front with 215/60-18 tires, and 345/35-18 M & H Racemasters on the back.

The removal of the EGR system and relocating the ps reservoir, totally opened up the driver's side for plug changes. Added new custom made shorty heater hoses, which opened up the passenger side. Plug changes are now a snap. The old heater hoses would've been totally dominant in that oil separator pic. The new ones, you can't even see them.

Look at that massive CAI! LMAO!!

Attachments

Last edited:

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
in addition to swapping the automatic transmission for a Dodge Viper 6 speed.
Well, at least he has one quality part on his truck...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I notice you put the # 2750 on the DS of the bumper. Never seen it on a Lightning before. Isn't that a "Saleen" thing?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, at least he has one quality part on his truck...
Haha. He's had nothing but trouble with it since he did it. Doesn't even have reverse, so he has to be very selective in where he parks. He's planning on pulling it and having it rebuilt some time soon though. The other problem is the gearing in it is more suitable to a sports car, and not a heavy-ass truck.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
What year viper was it from? The original gearboxes that would not let you shift out of order were horrible...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I notice you put the # 2750 on the DS of the bumper. Never seen it on a Lightning before. Isn't that a "Saleen" thing?
Not sure. There's a guy at LightningRodder that sells those stickers for us Lightning owners. Sells the numbers and the door side stripes as a set. The 2750 is the build number of my truck in 2004. When you buy a Lightning, you get a certificate from SVT certifying the vehicle as a limited production item. Also, you might have noticed that the black side steps are now sanded smooth and painted to match. Including the rear bumper steps.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The removal of the EGR system and relocating the ps reservoir, totally opened up the driver's side for plug changes.
Well that is hardly sporting...

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well that is hardly sporting...
I don't know what you mean by that. Poking fun at me I assume. Anyhow, stock, plug changes were a biotch. The EGR and the ps reservoir blocked the front two entirely. Now, you look at the picture, you can see all the COPS but the one under the fuel pressure regulator. It's the only one t hat is difficult now, but not near as bad as it was. New long COP screws also make it easier, no more dropping those pesky little 7 mm screws onto the motor and spending hours looking for them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't know what you mean by that. Poking fun at me I assume. Anyhow, stock, plug changes were a biotch. The EGR and the ps reservoir blocked the front two entirely. Now, you look at the picture, you can see all the COPS but the one under the fuel pressure regulator. It's the only one t hat is difficult now, but not near as bad as it was. New long COP screws also make it easier, no more dropping those pesky little 7 mm screws onto the motor and spending hours looking for them.
I have a mere mortal 2002 with a 5.4. I hate changing coils in the pig, the engine is sunk back in there like it is a stupid minivan and then they run everything over the top of the coils. I am well aware of what you are talking about.

I would rather change all 8 plugs in my V8 swapped Ranger than any coil other than 1 and 5 in my F-150.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Cool... I didn’t know you owned a Lightning. (y)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have a mere mortal 2002 with a 5.4. I hate changing coils in the pig, the engine is sunk back in there like it is a stupid minivan and then they run everything over the top of the coils. I am well aware of what you are talking about.

I would rather change all 8 plugs in my V8 swapped Ranger than any coil other than 1 and 5 in my F-150.
Funny, on the Lightning, it's easier to change the plugs with the blower off. Plug change blower on can take hours. Or you can take the blower off, 30 minutes, change the plugs, 30 minutes, then put the blower on. I usually plan on doing some other maintenance while the blower is off. Like cleaning the intercooler, etc.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cool... I didn’t know you owned a Lightning. (y)
Really! You're kidding! Or just funning me. All the crap some members pass on me for always bringing it up in threads for comparative purposes, and somehow you missed that? LMAO!

I've owned it since late 2009, second owner. Had a little over 34,000 when purchased. Now has a little over 70,000. It holds down a garage floor with a cover over it most of it's life. Might drive it to work today, it's Friday for me this evening. :D

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Funny, on the Lightning, it's easier to change the plugs with the blower off. Plug change blower on can take hours. Or you can take the blower off, 30 minutes, change the plugs, 30 minutes, then put the blower on. I usually plan on doing some other maintenance while the blower is off. Like cleaning the intercooler, etc.
Never been around a Lightning but there would be a lot of changes on top the engine I am sure. Probably a different fuel rail too.

Apparently my POS plastic intake has a crack in it that only shows its sorry self when it is installed. After putting intake gaskets on it twice it is getting the aluminum intake from a '99. Have to gut the thing like a fish to change the intake and it is getting old fast.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals