• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any Lightning owners here?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mine is a 2004 Oxford White bought from the original owner in 2009. Many mods done, including swapping the original serpentine belt for a cog drive with larger lower pulley to up boost. Entire intake from the plenum on top of the blower to the filter. Catback Borla stainless steel exhaust. Traction bars, pan hard bar, passenger side rear shock flipped to behind the axle and TA differential girdle. Rear tires are Nitto NT555R's in 305/45-18 on stock 9.5 inch rims. Fronts are Michelin 225/60-18 on narrowed stock rims (7.0 inch). Don't have any pictures of the truck with those tires, YET!

Last edited:

chvlfrk

December 2010 STOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 5.0L
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Tire Size
235/70R15 front / 275/60R15 rear
Curious>>>

PM sent

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did they make many in '04?

I know the Heritage kept that bodystyle going into '04 but I didn't really pay attention that the Lightnings continued too.

I have an '02 XLT 4x4 Scab. Same bodystyle and I also have the 5.4... but that is where the similarities end. :icon_twisted:

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Did they make many in '04?

I know the Heritage kept that bodystyle going into '04 but I didn't really pay attention that the Lightnings continued too.

I have an '02 XLT 4x4 Scab. Same bodystyle and I also have the 5.4... but that is where the similarities end. :icon_twisted:
All the Heritage's built in 04 were Lighting's. They were the only truck of that body style made in that year. 2004 was the first year of the new ugly body style F-150's. The Lightning's were only made that year due to the contract to build Lightning motors.

I believe that 3800 were made, mine is #2750.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All the Heritage's built in 04 were Lighting's. They were the only truck of that body style made in that year. 2004 was the first year of the new ugly body style F-150's. The Lightning's were only made that year due to the contract to build Lightning motors.

I believe that 3800 were made, mine is #2750.
No, the 2004 F-150 Heritage was the mere mortal F-150. Only offered in XL or XLT trim. They are not really common but pop up every once in awhile. They were made alongside the new 2004 F-150's.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have a 2004 f150 heritage w/4.6l automatic. No lightening here.....

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
All the Heritage's built in 04 were Lighting's.
Well that is super wrong since I have worked on half a dozen 04 Heritages personally and the only Lightning I have ever seen in that body was an 02.

I "worked" on a Saleen in that body once. But the "work" I did to it consisted of pulling it into the bay, looking at it for 5 minutes and saying "Yup, supercharger locked up and you are screwed because they don't make them any more".

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My VIN says my 2004 Lightning is a Heritage Edition, doesn't mention anywhere, when you run the numbers, that it's a Lightning. It specifically says that, and that's how my insurance company has it described as well. And all Lightning's are flareside models, from 99 to 04. The only Lightning's that weren't were the early editions, from 93 to 95, which were the old style F-150. No blower, but they had a 351 Windsor motor in them. Have several friends that have them.

In case you're wondering, I got all the window stickers, and the SVT certificate, when I bought mine from the original owner. And a notebook full of receipts for all the maintenance done on it, as well as the mods he had done to it.

Only reason I said that Lightning's were the only Heritage Editions made in 04, was I read it somewhere. Can't recall where though. I've been wrong before, no big deal. ;-0

There are plenty of Eaton blowers available on Lightning forums. I am a long time member of LightningRodder. Also there are several aftermarket blowers available that work with no problems whatsoever. Usually need to tune for them as they move more air than an Eaton does.

Can't imagine how someone locked up a blower? Not heard that one before. Forgot to keep an eye on the oil level in the front gear case? I change mine every couple years, just to be safe. Both Ford and GM sell oil specifically meant for Eaton blowers.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Can't imagine how someone locked up a blower? Not heard that one before. Forgot to keep an eye on the oil level in the front gear case? I change mine every couple years, just to be safe. Both Ford and GM sell oil specifically meant for Eaton blowers.
Dunno who Saleen used for their blowers though.

It may be they called the entire line "Heritage" in '04. And maybe rather than all '04 Heritage trucks are Lightnings it may have been all '04 Lightnings are Heritages.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dunno who Saleen used for their blowers though.

It may be they called the entire line "Heritage" in '04. And maybe rather than all '04 Heritage trucks are Lightnings it may have been all '04 Lightnings are Heritages.
All the blowers I'm aware of that are used are Eaton's. The Lightning has a M110. Most of the current model Moostang's have M122s.

And yeah, you're probably correct about those last two sentences. They were called Heritage Editions to distinguish them from the newer model that was introduced that year.

There is a guy on LightningRodder that makes an adaptor to put a M122 on the Lightning. Whipple makes a blower that fits right on the stock manifold. Blowers are available from Johnny Lightning Performance (JLP) and Lightning Force Performance (LFP) for the stock Lightning manifold.

Have a friend here in town who took the blower off and put a 92 mm turbo on. Runs 26 pounds of boost, last time he had it on a dyno it made near 900 hp.

So, when you tell someone there are no blowers available, you're doing them a YUUGE disservice.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
So, when you tell someone there are no blowers available, you're doing them a YUUGE disservice.
I didn't tell him there weren't any. I told him the one Saleen used wasn't available through them, which is what their parts rep told me. And since we didn't know what it was, and the owner didn't know what it was, and the parts rep at Saleen didn't know where they sourced it, since this was after the buy-out and reorganization...

What I did know was the one SVT used on the lightnings was different.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I didn't tell him there weren't any. I told him the one Saleen used wasn't available through them, which is what their parts rep told me. And since we didn't know what it was, and the owner didn't know what it was, and the parts rep at Saleen didn't know where they sourced it, since this was after the buy-out and reorganization...

What I did know was the one SVT used on the lightnings was different.
SVT used an Eaton M110 on the Lightning. Saleen used an Eaton M122 on their cars. Saleen had absolutely ZERO to do with Lighting's. They are all 100% SVT. I've owned two Lighting's since 2000, and have never seen any mention of Saleen being involved with them. Go to any Lightning site, and insinuate that Saleen was involved, your apt to get your head bit off. Most of us Lightning guys don't care for Saleen because we don't care for Moostangs. ;-) There are exceptions, sadly. "Look a Moostang!" "Look three Moostangs!" Look, everywhere Moostangs!" Everybody and their mother has a Moostang.

M122 is considerably larger externally than the M110. But there is a guy over at LightningRodder that makes an adaptor to fit the M122 to our trucks.

I actually have a friend who did that very thing, in addition to swapping the automatic transmission for a Dodge Viper 6 speed. Lot of work, lot of money. ****ing nice when it was done.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
SVT used an Eaton M110 on the Lightning. Saleen used an Eaton M122 on their cars. Saleen had absolutely ZERO to do with Lighting's. They are all 100% SVT. I've owned two Lighting's since 2000, and have never seen any mention of Saleen being involved with them. Go to any Lightning site, and insinuate that Saleen was involved, your apt to get your head bit off. Most of us Lightning guys don't care for Saleen because we don't care for Moostangs. ;-) There are exceptions, sadly. "Look a Moostang!" "Look three Moostangs!" Look, everywhere Moostangs!" Everybody and their mother has a Moostang.

M122 is considerably larger externally than the M110. But there is a guy over at LightningRodder that makes an adaptor to fit the M122 to our trucks.

I actually have a friend who did that very thing, in addition to swapping the automatic transmission for a Dodge Viper 5 speed. Lot of work, lot of money. ****ing nice when it was done.
Both Saleen and Roush also built F-150's.

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
SVT used an Eaton M110 on the Lightning. Saleen used an Eaton M122 on their cars. Saleen had absolutely ZERO to do with Lighting's. They are all 100% SVT. I've owned two Lighting's since 2000, and have never seen any mention of Saleen being involved with them.
Yeah, hi, let me introduce myself. I am a 10 year vet of Ford dealership service departments, senior master certified (That includes my SVT certs before they were discontinued), and did a 2.5 year stint at a Roush authorized dealer where we dealt with a lot of post-factory conversions and HIPO stuff. Frankly I find it all to be little more than automotive masturbation.

Now I am well familiar with the finer points of SVT, Saleen, and Roush, both the F-150 and the Mustang. I don't give a rats furry @$$ which of your autobaters hate which other autobaters. I think you are all idiots.

Go back and read my original post about this, all the words. I wasn't working on an SVT, so I don't care what SVT used. I was working on a Saleen, the guy was driving it from NY State where he had bought it back to Ohio. His supercharger locked up near my dealership and he had it towed to us. We couldn't get him one readily, and the people who did the conversion work couldn't even tell us which one they used, just that it was different from the one on the Lightning, and this guy wasn't willing to convert because he wanted the Saleen, not the Lightning.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

:shok:

Hmmm, you're sounding like the Archie Bunker of The Ranger Station!

I don't masturbate over vehicles. I have the Lightning because, for me anyhow, I always thought them to be the epitome of the F-150 line. Don't like any of the new ones, FUGLY! Don't like the slab sided ones at all. Do like the way the Lightning looks with the added on body work. The fact that it's got quite a bit of juice under the hood is just an added benefit.

Like my Ranger, it's long ago paid for. Same with my motorcycle. Maintenance, registration and insurance. Mainly that's the only reason I keep it, it's mine. Same with the Ranger and the bike.

By the same token, I've been offered some decent sums of money to sell it, and I will not do so. Even though they were decent sums of money, they would not buy one of the new obscenely overpriced FUGLY ones they make nowadays.

It was badly damaged in a bad accident four years ago, and the only reason my insurance company fixed it was because it's a Lightning. The claims adjuster took one look at it, and said "That's a damn nice Lightning. Don't worry, we'll fix it good as new". They did. And it doesn't even have a salvage title. If it had been anything else, it would be in the boneyard.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals