• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any ideas? No start

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok 87' BII 4x4 5spd. Oil pan was leaking really bad and the flywheel was worn down to the point that I could only start it by push start... So I decided I'd just pill the motor..new clutch,flywheel,rear main,oil pan, valve covers etc..

So anyways got it all back together and now I can't get it to fire. I've got spark. I've got fuel to the rail..pressure idk. I got it to fire on ether and it started twice without it but only ran for a couple secs and died. Thought maybe 180 out on dist. but not so much. Looks like everything is connected..idk Any ideas on what I could be missing? Starting to get annoyed. Oh and it ran fine before I pulled the motor..:icon_confused: Any advice much appreciated. Thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Gotta be a fuel system issue. When my HP pump went out I still had fuel to the rail, but it wouldn't start. I'd start by pulling the HP fuel pump and hooking it right to the battery, if it runs, put it back in and move on, if it clicks or does nothing, go get a new one.

Just be sure to not run it too long dry you'll burn it up. Basically just hit a wire to the terminal and listen for it to whir.

polarbear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
I'd start by pulling the HP fuel pump and hooking it right to the battery,
thats what we had to do to one of our rangers with a 2.3 we got that pump toggled works great so far

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
check and make sure you have voltage going to the injectors, if you have rail pressure, and it's not firing, then something is causeing the injectors not to fire.

If your not sure about the fuel rail pressure, on the passenger side of the truck, there should be two relays, jump the one that will turn on your fuel pumps, you can check them that way, if the truck runs then while the relay is bypassed, then get you another relay, it's bad.

Robert

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
Ok..hooked ground strap from exhaust to frame back up:icon_idea:..oops..and some fresh gas now she starts every time.and no leaks! Guess I just needed to walk away from it for a few.. Thank for all the replys guys:icon_cheers:

Robert_1967

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302/2.9
Transmission
Automatic
I'd run a ground from the battery to the engine if I was you, just to be safe.

Robert :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals