• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Any computer science majors?

mywhip

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I love computers, and have been working on them for 10 years now. I want a career in something computer related, and i want to learn everything i can about them. There is a community college less than ten minutes away and i will be attending school again (hopefully next month!). I need some input on a couple of things though. I haven't talked to any advisors yet, but this is what i have put together so far.

In the rate of 4.3 years (15 credits per semester), i can have the following Associate of Applied Business degrees :

Network Computer Management Option
Programming Option
Network and Computer Security Option
Systems Administrator Option
Business Systems Option

Like i said, i want to learn everything i can..but i don't want to waste my time or money, either (community college is cheap, ~$100 per credit hour), would this be worth doing? I also plan on getting certs, like A+, etc

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Make sure this is what you want to do. IT is a very picky field. My AAS is in computer networking. Got out of the military, got a IT job and hated it. Went back to school and now I have my BS in electronics and communications engineering and love my job. Choose wisely and make an informed decision.

Sent from your Grandma's closest using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
My first question is "how good are you at networking" and I don't mean the setup or configuration of a LAN. Do you have good contacts in the IT field or is this a complete jump in another career direction?

The reason I ask is, as Hoosier said, it is a very picky field. Not only that there are so many community college grads being pumped into the job market with little or no chance for landing those jobs that are available.

I spent 3 years going to DeVry to get a BSc (but was four credits short) and then spent ten years working in a call center (related work but not IT) because the job market was flooded. I then went back to college to get a Network Administrator Diploma only to find out that the market was now so flooded that they raised the hiring bar (unless you have an inny).

Nobody will even look at your resume without minimum MCSE in most cases...

If your college is offering chits to write the Microsoft exams to get your MCSE then it may be worth it...if you are under 40, can work for minimum wage, and not have aspirations of making it too high up in the corporate structure...

If, however, you have contacts, are an incredibly quick learner and can demonstrate your knowledge (don't ever let this one slide) of current computer hardware and Operating Systems including Windows 2011 Server (2008 would do if you have really good experience) then go for it...

I don't want to dampen your desire...just want to make sure you are making a choice that is not based on a love of fixing things because you can...computers are fairly easy to fix and upgrade once you've done it a few times...finding a job in a market that is literally flooded with wannabees is another story...

But good luck with your choice...I wouldn't have changed it much...except I would have insisted on getting MSCE or minimum MCSA out of my last course...which they didn't actually offer until I was near graduation...and they would NOT extend my program without me paying cash for it...which was not an option at that point because I needed a job...

macx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I read on Yahoo not long ago that IT was very nearly the job with the greatest level of dis-satisfaction in the country. Pay is pretty decent, but there are other good jobs without the hassle. One very very capable IT manager I knew who had an IT Mgr job with a major company in LA quit after a few years cuz of the tension, the hassle, and the politics.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Can you give details why no love for the IT job-
When I got my AAS, I wanted to get into computer networking. I could not find a job so I joined the military. The military is what changed my outlook on IT. I was unemployed after I got out. I made tickets for people like myself to fix things. I stuck it out as long as I could but I had my fill with the politics. I was in my position for about 6 months and realized that I was going nowhere. At that moment I made the decision to go back to school and get my BS in something other than IT. I loved my job in the military but it was going away. Why not get a degree in it, electronic and communications engineering, mainly communications engineering.

That is why I have NO LOVE for IT work at all. Big up to everyone who has an IT job and loves it. I cannot stand IT any more. That is why my personal laptop is Linux. It is not main stream by any means and there is free support throughout the world.

Good enough?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals