• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

any advice/input?

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
this forum is awsome first off..
Ive been updating my computer knowledge recently, and well in the last decade lets just say there is so much out there now, and so many different kinds of stuff etc..
to lighty touch on what I mean...sata, pata, atx, itx, matx, PCI, PCIe none of this i have any idea what the stuff is and what makes them differ.

The reason im looking into informing myself on this stuff is because come 2012 canada is going to be switching to atsc cable like the US has. So Im going to have to buy at least an HD box (~$150 to $300pvr), I also need a new dvd player because mine blows ($100-$300). So im looking at about $250 for low end to about $600 for an HD pvr and HD/bluray dvd player.

The HD box is going to be another component drawing power and adding another 50ft of cables behind my tv.
An option Im looking at is to get myself some kind of media pc center that has all my entertainment needs built in plus some extras...
eg: atsc tv tuner and hd dvd player plus the ability to go online and play streaming music/movies/tv shows and record/store media.

The advantages of this would give me better picture quality as Im still running rca cables, not even s-video because none of my components are capable. Also I wouldnt have 1/4 mile of cable behind my tv and half a dozen components plugged in.

I get my cable programming via coaxial, my tv wont pick up a signal so i have to use a vcr as a cable box.

im loosing myself, hah. At the end of the day what im picturing is my tv, home theatre reciever and a media type pc sitting on my tv stand with and HDMI cable going from the pc to the tv, and an audio source going to my amp and only 3 things plugged in. Getting rid of a whole shwack of cable, giving me a cleaner look, better res, and way more capabilty.

So what do I need to make something like this and whats it going to cost?
are there any programs out there that can tie all these functions together and make simple to use?

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
HD DVD? You know HD DVD is dead right? I think you mean Blu-Ray :D

What you're trying to make yourself is a nice HTPC. I guess it all depends on what you REALLY want to do with it because it's honestly not very clear from your post.

What will be the PC's role in your home theater experience? What exactly are you trying to do? Use your PC as HD-DVR and Blu-Ray player? That part is easy, it's called Windows Media Center. Of course you'll need a TV tuner card to receive the signal to your PC but that's about it.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I think it was you that posted the link to the Web TV ads...you might want to check the information in those ads because I think I saw what you want right there...a PC that hooks into home entertainment is already available and you may be able to glean enough information out of the ads to start building your own to the specs you want...I didn't really read too deeply into the ad because it's not something I'm considering right now (since I do need to find work before I do such kinds of things)...

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
mark those tv for pc sites i posted are all crap...Ive found some more info on em and about all they do is charge you a one time membership fee and send you software youll be able to find for free on the net to link you to a bunch of free streaming channels. Most of the channels (ive read) either dont work, have really bad resolution, no sound...or are just lame channels anyway.
Sounds like themoviedownloads.net they took my money and gave me a link for a uTorrent download, and thats the only program I used in their system to download movies. So the only thing they did was sell me a link to a free download.

back on topic, this is my criteria for an HTPC
-Easy to use (point, click, play)
-Internet access for streaming music/movie channels
-digital tv tuner (ntsc/atsc combo)
-BluRay dvd player
-I want it to be fast and quiet
- HDMI video out too hook my tv into & a high def audio output (have seen some cards with optical outputs) to hook into my reciever.
-Dont necessarily need alot of storage, 80-160 gigs...basically only really want enough to run the system (but if im going to pay the same for 160 as 250 then the obvious states itself)
-Must look like a media component not a desktop PC
found this http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3986717&Sku=A107-1122

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I stand corrected...I thought I saw sections for computer specifications...but I didn't read, I just browsed...

That case looks interesting though...good start...I will have to read up a bit on what is available to be able to add further to your question though...but I will keep tabs on it because there are a few people on TRS that should be able to direct you...

pud

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
google satellite tv for pc reviews or anything along those lines and read up. I havent found a positive response yet.
Its too bad, as I know we're both thinking how cool it would be to have online tv programming that is easy to navigate such as a digi-cable or satellite systems are. I wonder why no such quality type program is around?

for the HTPC, as far as I understand (very limited)..its seems Id need a good video card with an HDMI out, soundcard with an optical out (my old 1999 blaster pc has one), a combo tv tuner and whatever else is required to make these components operate best and windows media center

fleck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
google satellite tv for pc reviews or anything along those lines and read up. I havent found a positive response yet.
Its too bad, as I know we're both thinking how cool it would be to have online tv programming that is easy to navigate such as a digi-cable or satellite systems are. I wonder why no such quality type program is around?

for the HTPC, as far as I understand (very limited)..its seems Id need a good video card with an HDMI out, soundcard with an optical out (my old 1999 blaster pc has one), a combo tv tuner and whatever else is required to make these components operate best and windows media center
Very few people have the bandwidth necessary to watch HD programming through the internet, so satellite and cable providers aren't bothering with this yet.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual

You don't need a really good card for an HTPC but you do need a dedicated card to off load the video decoding to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals