• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Antique License Plates??

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Are you saying the inspectors would object to having the exhaust dump directly in front of the drivers face? 🤣
It's like a foot above the drivers face lol. The air moving over the car would take it up and over the rest of the rig.

Like.. it really bums me out. I almost want to move to a state with more lax laws on things so I can enjoy cars more than the state let's me now.

ThatOneGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1983 1993
Make / Model
Ranger Explorer
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Explorer is 4.0 ranger is 2.3 soon to be 4.0
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
Let the universe take you where it will !!!
In Washington the vehicle needs to be 30 years old. Modifications are alowed. And the limitation is club events, and occasional pleasure driving, no inspections of any sort here. And it's not inforced much alot of hot rods, and old 4x4s run them. I figure it's always a pleasure to drive so when ever I drive it, it meets the limitations lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I'm running Antique Arkansas tags on my 87 Nissan. Insurance and titles are still in my dad's name, but I pay to keep it up to date. ( we have the exact same name, so it's not too difficult) There is no Expiration sticker on the tag itself. Once I change it over to a Florida title/registration I'll find out if I meet the criteria for a "blue tag"

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Indiana's laws... and Indiana is one of the states that allows an antique license plate. From the BMV:

Historic Vehicle
A historic vehicle is a vehicle that is at least 25 years old may be registered with a historic license plate. Historic vehicles are charged a standard registration fee, vehicle excise tax, and county and municipal vehicle excise tax, if applicable.

Learn More About Vehicle Registration Fees and Taxes

Collector Vehicle & Authentic Model Year License Plates
A historic vehicle may be registered as a collector vehicle for a reduced fee if the vehicle meets the following criteria:

• Is at least 25 years old;
  • Is owned, operated, restored, maintained, or used as a collector’s item, a leisure pursuit, or an investment; and
  • Is not used primarily for transportation.
A completed Collector Vehicle Affidavit – State Form 56166 must be submitted when you first register your collector vehicle and for each year you renew.

Authentic Model Year License Plate
For an additional annual fee an authentic model year license plate may be displayed on a vehicle that is registered as a collector vehicle. The Indiana authentic model year license plate is not required to be the original license plate registered to the vehicle; however, it is required to have been issued by the Indiana BMV in the same year as the model year of the vehicle to which it will be used.

A Historic license plate is registered to the collector vehicle and a Certificate of Registration with the authentic model year license plate number indicated is issued. The authentic model year license plate is placed on the rear of the vehicle, and the Historic license plate and Certificate of Registration must be carried in the vehicle at all times, including any renewal year stickers. The Historic license plate must be renewed annually.

To use an authentic model year license plate on your collector vehicle, you must present the authentic model year plate to any BMV branch for inspection. The authentic model year license plate may be refurbished or restored; however, the BMV may reject the use of the license plate if there is any indication that the plate does not meet the original specifications. Additionally, the authentic model year license plate must meet the following conditions:

• Be metal
  • Be in good or original condition suitable to be displayed. The letters, numbers, and markings must be clearly legible.
  • Fading must be minimal and not faded to an illegible state.
  • May only contain minor rust on the face of the plate.
  • May not be bent.
  • May not have any unplanned holes.
  • Must match the picture of the plate issued for the year of manufacture according to BMV records.

For My Ranger, it turns 25next year... I could get historic plates :)

and for 97 if I went with an original plate from 97 it would have the farm/ homestead style. but it would have to be registered as a "collector" vehicle, which would be a hard sell I think

Attachments

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
In NH antiques still need safety inspections, 40 year old vehicles only need them every 2 years, only 96 and newer get emissions inspection. NH has street rod plates with unique inspection requirements, for example: a 32 Ford registered as an antique needs fenders but doesn't need turn signals, seat belts or anything else it wasn't built with. A 32 Ford street rod doesn't need fenders but it does require turn signal, seat belts, back up lights, etc.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Maryland has the following:

A historic vehicle is 20-years old and older and stock. A street rod vehicle is 25-years old and older and substantially modified. These vehicles may not be your daily driver or used to and from work and school.

I've heard they're getting more picky about this but I've been real tempted to change my 98 to historic. I drive it most days to work so not yet...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
PA's restriction for Classic and Antique plates is more than I'm interested in. If I had a show car, I might consider it then but not for a vehicle driven on a regular basis.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
PA's restriction for Classic and Antique plates is more than I'm interested in. If I had a show car, I might consider it then but not for a vehicle driven on a regular basis.
That's kind of the idea. Classic and antique plates are not supposed to be used for vehicles that are driven regularly although I see people around me who regularly violate that.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
In NH most people who have a special interest vehicle park them no later than early November and don't drive them again until April, in my case, mid to late April. Everyone waits until we've had a couple good rainstorms to get the salt off the road and I wait until mud season is over. A vehicle that sits for 1/2 the year should be much cheaper to register. I consider driving my Mustang to be showing it because I can't get 5 miles from home without someone giving me a thumbs up.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
South Dakota has historic plates that are $15 and permanent as long as you own the vehicle. Has to be 30+ years old, cannot be used as a daily driver, max of 4000 miles driven a year (but they don't check.) It's a pretty good deal, I have them on four trucks and it saves me about $250 a year.

I read the entire law pertaining to historic plates and it's pretty much wide open for what you can put them on. I just go in and hand them the paperwork and don't ask questions... my buddy lives in a different county and they told him to get lost when he tried to put historic plates on his dump truck. It definitely qualifies but I'm sure some county treasurers are very bitter about the lost revenue.

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
NJ has the historic plate deal as well. I may be putting them on my Cherokee. It's for vehicles 25+ years old that are unmodified. I think it is about $44 one time. I imagine they can give you a little leeway as to what may be considered modified, but not much.

Here is the link. https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/vehicles/historic-samples.pdf

If they are obviously modified, they are classified as hot rod or something like that.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Wow yall have a ton of rules. Florida antique tags are just a regular ol vanity tag but with a 30 year age requirement and must be fairly stock.

This is from a third party site cause the govt site is terrible. If it’s built before 1945, it gets a “horseless carriage tag. A custom vehicle tag is built after 1948, is at least 25 yrs old, and has a modified body. A street rod vehicle is built before 49 and is modified. I don’t believe these have ANY restrictions beyond age and such.

fred m

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
12.5 cups
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Florida’s Antique plate is very simple, I have several registered. Main benefit is they’re considerably cheaper to register than a regular “sunshine state” tag, plus you get the special blue tag. Only requirement is the vehicle and engine both be over 30 years of age (though no inspections for the engine and they wouldn’t know what they’re looking at anyways). There are no usage restrictions.

We also have Street Rod and Horseless Carriage tags, as well as Permanent Antique plates. These have more strict requirements and generally you can’t use them on daily drivers.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals