• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti-theft no PATS starting issue.

Rogja

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Okay I know this has been asked a ton. But I can’t get clarification for my own problem with my ranger.

Its a 97 XLT super cab. 4.0 with a manual and 4x4.

the other day I tilted my steering wheel up after shutting off truck. And the ‘alarm’ system went off and since then won’t reset. I don’t have the transponder keys. Nor does the ignition cylinder look like it has the hook up’s for a PATS system. I’m not sure. Hence why I’m here. But to start truck now I have to jumper the starter relay to get it to run. But even when it’s running the theft light still blinks every couple seconds. I’ve replaced my ignition switch already to see if that was the issue. Starter relay as well. And pcm relay. Pretty much every relay in the engine compartment. No blown fuses of any kind.

where do I need to look into next. Any help would be appreciated.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In the FWIW category, I had a 1997 just like yours (reg cab though) and it did not have PATS because I just cut a regular key (I worked in parts) and used it.

> But to start truck now I have to jumper the starter relay to get it to run.

I would suspect the wire from the ignition cyl. is loose or bad - OR - the ignition switch itself is bad (the box the ignition rod slides in with all the wires).

You could get a pin out of the ignition switch and see if you have 12v going out of the column when the switch is in START.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals