• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti-slosh module

rlrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2004 Ranger with the 3 liter engine. I am having a gas gauge issue. Previously, I would fill the tank and then the gauge would go to empty. Sometimes it would start working after a period of driving. Other times I would reset the computer ( disconnect battery) and then it would work properly. Now it appears it just stays on empty. Does this Ranger have an anti-slosh module and could this be the problem? I appreciate your help. Thank you.
Randy

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
2004 should have the HEC instrument cluster. If it’s anything the F and E series there’s no separate anti slosh module. There’s a 30 second (or so) delay built into the logic in the cluster.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes to above, you have an HEC(hybrid electronic cluster) in a 2004 Ranger

Google: Ford HEC Test mode

You can then test the cluster to see if its a cluster issue or a float/sender issue

rlrnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to TRS :)

Yes to above, you have an HEC(hybrid electronic cluster) in a 2004 Ranger

Google: Ford HEC Test mode

You can then test the cluster to see if its a cluster issue or a float/sender issue
I did follow the instructions for the HEC Test but nothing happened. I held the odometer reset stalk in and turned the ignition to acc. ??? For your info the gauges do not sweep the dial face on startup. Does this mean that I do have an anti-slosh module and if so, could it be my problem? At this point I am confused. Thank you for your help.
Randy

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A month ago, I read up on this "HEC Test Mode" . I tried it on my 2004 4-liter 4WD Ranger. No go. I tried it every which way possible, read and re-read the instructions, watched 2 videos, but was never able to make it work.

A few days ago, I used FORScan's "On Demand Self-Test" on the IC (Instrument Cluster) node. That's an entirely different thing than the "HEC Test Mode", but it did do a gauge sweep, so you might want to look into that. Hope it helps. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals