• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anti-Diesel Screw

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
So I've put myself in a pickle, when I first got the truck it had a very low idle, and like any guy who owns an old classic, I adjust the idle.....I'm sure most of you are going "come on!" But I got the truck to run alright for a little bit, but then I found out about the IAC, I replaced that, long story short, how do i get my anti-diesel screw in the correct position

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
After engine is fully warmed up let it idle and then unplug the 2 wire connector on IAC Valve, RPMs should drop to about 500-600, engine barely running, if so all is good no adjustment is needed

If they are higher turn screw counter clockwise, closing throttle plate a bit until RPMs are 500-600
If engine stalls turn it clockwise a bit and restart

This screw is also use to set TPS(throttle position sensor) voltage to .69-.99 when throttle is closed, but fine tuning only

Its not required but not a bad idea to unhook one battery cable for a few minutes and then hook it back up after adjusting a sensor like the TPS, which, in essence, you are doing, this will cause computer to relearn its setting
Idle may wander a bit for a few days while it relearns, thats normal

Last edited:
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey RonD, I wanna thank you for helping me, i couldn't get my idle set just right, I've got a vacuum leak and I know where it is, but what it is is a different question, now my idle only get high when I turn on my ac and left off the gas, it will only lower when I come to a stop. I fixed the battery issue I was having by just replacing the alternator.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Idle should stay high until speedometer is below 5mph or when stopped, its an emissions thing, an idling engine(under 1,000rpm), is a big polluter, so computer opens IAC Valve to hold higher RPMs as long as practical.
With manual transmissions it also holds RPMs higher when shifting

Newer vehicles actually shut off engine when stopped and then restart when you press on gas pedal to go again, thats to meet the newer idle emissions restrictions

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Idle should stay high until speedometer is below 5mph or when stopped, its an emissions thing, an idling engine(under 1,000rpm), is a big polluter, so computer opens IAC Valve to hold higher RPMs as long as practical.
With manual transmissions it also holds RPMs higher when shifting

Newer vehicles actually shut off engine when stopped and then restart when you press on gas pedal to go again, thats to meet the newer idle emissions restrictions
What if my idle doesn't drop as dramatically when unplugging the IAC

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
Then you've still got a vacuum leak or the screw is holding the throttle too far open.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals