• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another STX question.

fabman_52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Hi All;

I have a 1987 Extended cab STX two wheel drive. I was wondering what extras came with this truck to make it an STX. I have read all the info on the STX 4x4. but wondering what the differences are on the 2x4. This truck is loaded for its time, power windows, power lumbar, locks, tilt, cruse, and so on.
Thanks for any and all info.
George.

Last edited:

Chevelle Kid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think the body and frame are not from the same vehicle. STX's in my knowing (I could be wrong) was an older 4x4 package, kind of like the FX4 just not as modified...LOL

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The options you listed, as well as a trac lock rear axle (posi) and swaybars.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Kind of a fancy basic truck.

More or less had more frills in the cab, but still had pretty basic exterior things like black bumpers and grille. Some had tube bumpers too.

May not always be the case but that is just what has kind of rubbed off on me over the years.

fabman_52

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 & 1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 & 3.0
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Guys
With this info I now know I have a true 87 STX 2 WD. Mine is equipped with the Posi rear end and the heavy duty sway bars. I have 3 other Rangers from that era and none of them ride or drive like this one, Think I'll look for another.

Thanks a million, George.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The STX were not all fully loaded. My 89 STX did not have all the power options. It had manual roll up windows, manual adjust seats and manual locks. It did have cruise control and tilt steering wheel. Other than the side decals stripes, the STX generally had blacked out trim with no chrome. The seats were kind of unique to STX but I am pretty sure you could option order them on the XLT also. The 2WD STX had tube bompers in some model years but they rusted out over the years and I doubt many exist today.

I am pretty sure the trac lok came stock with STX and upgraded shocks. Many years (early ones) came with larger sway bars and some came with the Highrider option. I don't think the STX ever came with a 4 Cly engine.

Last edited:

crispyominus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l EFI
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my 86 stx 2.9l v6 2wd automatic trans. manual roll up windows and manual seats. tilt and cruise. it has bed rails that i assume are factory but im not sure on that one. haven't checked to see if it has the big sway bars or trac lok rear end. i'll jump under it tomorrow and see about the sway bars. not sure what to look for to see if it has the trac lok rear end.

Gary101386

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
my 89 STX has no frills... 2.9V6, Manual everything. Manual windows, Manual locks, Manual transmission, Manual transfer case, Manual hubs, Manual seats, no lumbar support, no tilt steering, no chrome, but im pretty sure its the high rider because it sits higher than most rangers. I also have the light bar in the bed...

Overall i like my STX its simple, tough looking, and remember, the less power options the less there is to fail with an older vehicle

wrecking-crew

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
06 chevy
Make / Model
88 ranger
Engine Size
6 cylinders
Transmission
Manual
Here is my 86 stx 2.9l v6 2wd automatic trans. manual roll up windows and manual seats. tilt and cruise. it has bed rails that i assume are factory but im not sure on that one. haven't checked to see if it has the big sway bars or trac lok rear end. i'll jump under it tomorrow and see about the sway bars. not sure what to look for to see if it has the trac lok rear end.
Bed rails are not factory.

To test for tracloc, jack up the back end and spin a tire. Both should spin the same way. (I think)

crispyominus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l EFI
Transmission
Automatic
put my truck up on jack stands today and saw that it does have the sway bar. i'll have to try that to check the rear end. i was gonna replace my steering gear today because it's leaking and has some slack in it but i got stuck at trying to remove the center link from the pitman arm. i tried everything i could think of short of putting some sort of puller on it but i didnt have any that would fit. also noticed the sway bar bushing were pretty much toast but they seem easy enough to replace.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
To test for tracloc, jack up the back end and spin a tire. Both should spin the same way. (I think)
If it is in park, otherwise it should require some effort to break the clutch free.

At this point in time it probably needs new clutch plates anyway so it could be hard to tell without popping the cover off.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals