• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another stupid question

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
2.8L Cologne (early) Want to convert over to CDI ignition and have looked at several different manufactures, E3, MSD and FAST. I will be using a Duraspark distributor to hopefully help handle the higher spark voltage. Anyone like one control over another?

Thanks,
Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If using a Duraspark distributor then use an HEI module, less expensive, easier wiring and all around better than any other system.
You do need to mount the HEI unit to a heat sink(metal plate), it does run hot like all spark modules do
Chevy doesn't do much right, but that HEI module was a good one

Google: Duraspark HEI conversion

D Lenz

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Sterling
Transmission
Manual
I have had some dealings with the GM HEI (raced hydroplanes for years ... 5L Chevy) and never had any problems with them. The only issue is this vehicle will be a semi-show and the module wiring is not as clean as I would like it. Another reason is I was going to go to E3, Fast,or ... is because of the rev. limiter. The engine is in a stick shift and I want survival (getting too expensive to rebuild the 2.8 and parts are hard to find). Going to be looking for heads soon if the machine shop says the second set I gave them are also cracked. Time will tell I guess.

Thanks again,
Dave

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK, fair enough

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals