• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another question about tires...

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've got a 2003 Ranger. Most of us have probably noticed that the front wheels in this generation are offset a little further and therefore track wider than the rear. So then I wonder, wouldn't it be all right to install wider tires on the rear wheels? Would this provide more stability and more traction?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I mean... you could. But tire rotations?

Some folks run a wheel spacers on the rear equivalent to the difference to bring them back in line. I believe @dondoes this.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I would stick with same size all around, unless you are building a something for drag or mud racing, or mud drag racing.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
A wider front track reduces understeer.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Previous gen also tracks wider in front ('97)... and probably before that, but I don't know.
I hear what you're saying and I thought about it too but unless it's some really special purpose, I'd stick with what the truck was designed to use.
It was when I was looking at how much clearance I had before tires would extend out past the fenders, and I noticed the front has not much clearance and the rear all kinds of clearance, and the reason is per the shop manual there is a ton of difference.
It helps it turn quicker. On a crowned road (which most are) it may appear to be dog-legging, but that's normal... unless it's out of spec and does it on level ground then it's not normal.
The appearance of dog-legging is because the truck is driving up the crown... you could say it is in fact dog-legging but there's a reason for it; on level ground it should track totally straight. You can test it by sighting the truck to drive straight to a sighted point, stop, then measure difference of center of tires front/rear, the difference should be the same side to side, if it's in spec.
It should basically always be in spec unless the frame is bent, or rear axle was removed/re-installed off-center, or other major-type stuff happened, or front alignment is totally way off, etc.
I realize that answers a question you didn't ask, but it's related. I'm just saying, the truck was designed to work a certain way (in theory, optimized), so if you mess with that you are de-optimizing it.
Like, if put larger diameter tires, sure, you gain a bit of ground clearance, but it causes other issues. And so on. Not to say I'm against mods, at all, just that one has to be aware that gaining good for one thing usually means sacrificing something else.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Previous gen also tracks wider in front ('97)... and probably before that, but I don't know.
I hear what you're saying and I thought about it too but unless it's some really special purpose, I'd stick with what the truck was designed to use.
It was when I was looking at how much clearance I had before tires would extend out past the fenders, and I noticed the front has not much clearance and the rear all kinds of clearance, and the reason is per the shop manual there is a ton of difference.
It helps it turn quicker. On a crowned road (which most are) it may appear to be dog-legging, but that's normal... unless it's out of spec and does it on level ground then it's not normal.
The appearance of dog-legging is because the truck is driving up the crown... you could say it is in fact dog-legging but there's a reason for it; on level ground it should track totally straight. You can test it by sighting the truck to drive straight to a sighted point, stop, then measure difference of center of tires front/rear, the difference should be the same side to side, if it's in spec.
It should basically always be in spec unless the frame is bent, or rear axle was removed/re-installed off-center, or other major-type stuff happened, or front alignment is totally way off, etc.
I realize that answers a question you didn't ask, but it's related. I'm just saying, the truck was designed to work a certain way (in theory, optimized), so if you mess with that you are de-optimizing it.
Like, if put larger diameter tires, sure, you gain a bit of ground clearance, but it causes other issues. And so on. Not to say I'm against mods, at all, just that one has to be aware that gaining good for one thing usually means sacrificing something else.
Actually this explains a lot. Thank you. I've been wondering about this ever since I bought the Ranger. But I should also say, that mine is the Edge package which looks as though it was intended for off road driving. Those looks are a little deceiving, however. Mine does not have 4WD. So I've made a few minor changes to improve handling on the street, lowering the rear end by 1" and the front by 3/4." Sometimes what Ford has given us can be improved or adapted to serve our purposes better.

Improving on Ford is something of a hobby for me. After 20 years on the road, mine is overdue for new shocks. I will be looking around for aftermarket options which might upgrade stock.

Attachments

Last edited:

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
It looks good! Since you're not 4x4 with it, lowering for the street makes sense. It lowers the c/g which can only be good, for street, as long as nothing is rubbing you should be good to go.
There are all the different models... to me what they did was strip stuff off (compared to '97 gen) then offered upgraded models to include things, for example, I have skid plates, but later on you had to get FX of some type (some years had Level 2 FX) to get skid plates. Versus Mazda B4000 which at the end of their run was pretty much loading them so they were essentially FX's. But there aren't many '08/'09 B4 out there that are low miles and good shape.
What tire are you running now?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
It looks good! Since you're not 4x4 with it, lowering for the street makes sense. It lowers the c/g which can only be good, for street, as long as nothing is rubbing you should be good to go.
There are all the different models... to me what they did was strip stuff off (compared to '97 gen) then offered upgraded models to include things, for example, I have skid plates, but later on you had to get FX of some type (some years had Level 2 FX) to get skid plates. Versus Mazda B4000 which at the end of their run was pretty much loading them so they were essentially FX's. But there aren't many '08/'09 B4 out there that are low miles and good shape.
[/QUOTE
I am on Cooper Discoverer All Terrain 3 tires: 265/70/R15 with Pro Comp aluminum wheels. I could have gone a little larger, but got a very good deal on these. I put on a set of fender flares and front mudflaps to reduce the sling.

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Most vehicles have a wider track in front than in the rear. I understand it makes the vehicle more stable, but I am not an automobile engineer to verify that.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
I guess that explains the oem flares and flaps on mine since 265/75R15 was oem, of course it's a different gen too. Somebody put 235's on it but when I get tires I'm putting it back oem size.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I guess that explains the oem flares and flaps on mine since 265/75R15 was oem, of course it's a different gen too. Somebody put 235's on it but when I get tires I'm putting it back oem size.
exactly. Was 265/75R15 really OEM? Way back when I bought my Ranger used but with narrower tires too.

I might be wrong but these tires seem to be larger than stock. The fronts especially stick out further even than the factory fender flares.
20230224_112747 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I just checked. For what it's worth, the original tire for that era was P225/70R15

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
225/70-15 was typical for 4 cylinder, or coil spring front suspension. and they were usually on 6" wheels.
torsion bar & 4wd had bigger tires and wider wheels.
what does the door sticker say?

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Oh I don't know. I don't have a door sticker. The door jamb had been repainted. I don't really care anyway. The OEM tire size I mentioned above was for torsion bars and XLTs.

I got new wheels and bigger tires when I bought it two years ago.

James Morse

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
My credo
yes on mine the 265/75R15 steel belted with white outline letters is oem, Ford says so ("Research Team") also Oasis report says so.
I'm missing door sticker too and have all the info to re-create it except the spring codes and front/rear grosses and reserves.
But the spare is 235/75R15 that's normal, the larger tire doesn't fit under the truck, at least Ford says so also people have confirmed this.
What size is your spare that -might- infer what was oem size on your truck since chances are if they were oem 225's they wouldn't have put a 235 under neath, it'd be a 225 (probably) if that was oem size.
It doesn't really matter.... just saying.
Well it matters if the tires are different diameter and you put the spare on the front and are in 4x4 because it will wreck things in pretty short order but you don't have 4x4.
I'm not totally clear what the issue is, but it's something to do with the front/rear binding.
If you aren't in 4x4 then spare on front is fine, or on back, but on back I think eventually it would wear out LSD, but obviously you can drive it some distance otherwise they wouldn't have put different sizes.
However, to mention, if you are in 4x4 chances are the tires can slip/drag (gravel, dirt, mud) so actually you can be in 4x4 with different tire sizes, just, don't drive on dry pavement in 4x4 like that.
Others know more....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals