• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another p0176 question

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
1999 3.0 flex 4x4 manual 110,000 mi. Driving today on the highway ~70mph truck engine suddenly lost power then stalled out. Coasted to the side of the road. Truck turned over but no start. Waited a few min started then died immediately. Waited even longer, 10 min, truck started and was able to drive off the exit ramp and to a gas station 1/2 mi, truck died. Had my obdII reader with me and pulled P0176 code. Rather than risk getting stuck I just had it towed home. Once home, started up let it run for a few minutes drove it into my driveway.
Been reading around and see most cases of P0176 involve certain symptoms like rough running etc. This instance had no issue prior, was driving around all day, filled tank three days ago at same station. It was like a sudden poof and it lost all power and died. But then upon restart had normal power.

Would a faulty or failing flex fuel sensor cause this reaction? Also is there some temp factor involved?

Update: went under there and it has a replicator. The rubber boot was filled with dirt but outside the plug it self. Blasted it with electrical cleaner and reconnected. Not sure what's next. Don't want to risk having to tow it again.

Update 2: Drove for about 4 miles to reach operating temp. Truck drove fine. Back home revved in park at 2K rpm and it died. Restarted fine and didn't die again.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Last edited:

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Update: read bad gas cap could cause a vacuum and no gas to engine and P0176. left cap loose hasn't died yet. ordered new cap.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
when the flex fuel sensor died in my 2000 it caused massive flooding, chugged black smoke and didn't run long.
also thru a code for the ff sensor out of range.

the replicator died a couple years ago, don't remember the symptoms.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What's code P0176?

I don't have all of them memorized...............

P0176 Fuel Composition Sensor Circuit Malfunction

And you have a Flex Fuel sensor Replicator, so no connection to the fuel line...............
And you decide gas cap???

Now you do have a Vented gas cap but not really, it will only equalize pressure if it gets really LOW, like engine Vacuum level at idle low, 21"+
Ever wonder why when you open gas cap to fill up you hear a WHOOSH noise, that means EVAP system is working and you have a slight negative(low) pressure in the gas tank

If gas cap was faulty you WOULD get a code, or several, but they would be EVAP codes

So not the gas cap

Best guess, since Replicator means no actual connection to fuel system, is that the Replicator is failing, since you didn't know it was there, then previous owner installed it, so do you have a best guess at the age?
Never heard of one failing but they were only needed on a few years in Ford Flex Fuels, so not alot out there

Second guess would be fuel pump is starting to go, but that wouldn't set a code, well maybe Lean codes long term
When there is another no start, LISTEN for the fuel pump running with key on, its not quiet
Listen for it NOW when engine is starting so you know what it sounds like
Turn key on, pump only runs for 2 seconds, turn key off and then on again, repeat until you know what pump sounds like

Last edited:

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
LOL, I was teasing because I hate it when people don't post definitions with codes

First, I really do NOT have them all memorized
Second, I want to see what THEY think the definition is, it could be wrong

And I would rather answer a question not look up codes, lol

Gizmo...........got it

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
The reason I tried the gas cap is because I read somewhere if the engine died of P0176 loosen the gas cap to relieve pressure and see if it restarted, idk. Did it and engine restarted after a few minutes. Now with new oem cap engine hasn't died yet. Of the three times it died out while driving none showed any warning like sputtering smoke etc. just died as if the key was turned off. One other thing I do suspect is I may have messed with the evap system because I topped off the gas tank. I got gas for $1.21 so I probably overfilled it. I read if liquid gets into the evap vent (not sure what its called) it could cause a P0176 and dying. I've gone about 200+ miles so far with the new cap and no more overfilling, ok so far. If anything I have a nice new clean cap. I'll add any updates that might help going forward.
Thank you for the responses

I also contacted the/a company that makes the replicators and they said they have millions out there and none have failed. They referred me to this website.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0176 where it ALSO says a faulty gas cap could be the cause!!!

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have to say that would be a new one for the books, any EVAP code says check gas cap :)

You certainly can air lock a gas tank, just not sure where fuel sensor code would come up when its not even connected

They do have thousands of replicators out there, I doubt millions, at least for Fords, the fuel sensor was only used for 2 years, and I know of only 1 replicator that failed, so long odds but not 0

But hopefully the problem was the gas cap and issue is solved

Last edited:

Sdude2008

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 Flex
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5x15
Well seems like the suggestion was and old one in some books somewhere despite your disbelief. Take a look.

1672877607028.png

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals