• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another "Get It Started" thread... '93 4.0L Ranger

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey All,

I know there are a million "help me get my truck started" threads with all the same advice. I've read many, many of them, but I'm hoping I have enough stuff here to justify a new thread. I'll try to keep it brief.

DETAILS : 1993 Ranger, 4.0L, Manual 4x4

HISTORY : Inherited it last fall from my future brother-in-law for free. Ran OK, needed work but it started. Then randomly decided it didn't want to run anymore.

SYMPTOMS : Cranks just fine. Never even sputters or tries to catch. I don't have a pressure gauge, but checking the schrader valve on the fuel rail managed to squirt me in the face with gas two feet away, so I feel like I have good fuel pressure. Old plugs were black and reeked of gasoline before I replaced them.

The only other thing that I hope is a clue is that 3 out of 4 times when I try starting it, after I stop cranking the starter, it kind of backfires. Not a loud pop, but an obvious release of air pressure from somewhere; I haven't figured out where yet.

REPLACED : Plugs, wires, PCV, fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump relay. Bypassed the inertia switch (that had popped once before causing this exact symptom). Disconnected the MAF sensor.

Anything else I can check?

Thanks for any tips.

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Fire, fuel and air in the right sequence is all any engine needs. When one won't start, check for air (can it breathe?), does it have spark (fire), is it getting fuel? Sounds like you have a lot of fuel pressure...maybe too much since the old plugs were gas fouled. I'd start with the basic three and by checking for any codes.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
and smell that gas to see if it has a "varnish-like" odor! Remove a spark plug and plug it into the plug wire/lay it on the maniflod where it can ground itself/crank engine to see if it has a good spark.....

bigtruck94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l v6, 5.4l triton
Transmission
Manual
replace your spark plugs. That could help maybe. Also check you IAVC (Idle Air Valve Control). If it runs rough, you could try and clean it up and maybe it will idle a little better.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Check the coilpack and see if it is giving power to the spark plugs.
Make sure the airbox is clear of any rodents/animals that may have taken residence and blocked the airflow into the intake. I would hook the MAF sensor back up, as it is probably not the issue.
Sounds like you have fuel pressure.

with wet plugs, it sounds like you are either not getting any spark at all or no air to aid combustion or as someone previously mentioned you are getting waaay to much fuel. you might want to check the fuel pressure regulator while you are at it.

AJ

edit: I see you replaced the air filter, but check the pipe coming into the airbox, maybe you ingested a bird lol... but I would check the spark tho for sure.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would get a can of Quick Start, ether, and spray some into the intake and see if it fires up, if it does then fuel is the problem, if it doesn't then spark is the problem.

On the lower front of the engine is the CKP sensor, Crank Position sensor, located next to the crank pulley.
This sensor tells the computer(PCM) that the engine is turning over.
If the sensor or it's wiring has a problem then the computer will not send spark or fuel to the engine, engine will crank but won't start, computer doesn't know you are trying to start the engine.

The PCM runs the spark and fuel via Grounds not power, the coil and the injectors will have 12v when key is on.

The PCM then Grounds the coil or injector when it wants it to fire.
So a loose Ground inside near the PCM may prevent a good ground to fire the component.
Coil has 4 wires, 1 will be 12v, the other 3 are to fire(ground) one of the 3 coils inside.
Injector has 2 wires, 1 will be 12v the other is to fire(ground) that injector.

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys. I realize I should have tested for spark before coming here. That process always made me a little nervous. Been zapped by electricity one too many times in my life, I guess ;)

Good thinking on air obstructions too.

I'm hoping it's not something along the lines of the crank position sensor just because I don't particularly want to take apart the front of the engine but I guess there are worse things.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Dont' worry about getting hit by the ignition coil. It is about 40,000 volts at .1 or .2 amps. It makes your arm go numb but isn't enough to kill you if you aren't holding the plug in a cut and holding your other hand on the vehicle body with it bleeding all over.

JC 97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger xlt
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4" suspension
Tire Size
31x10.5
Fire, fuel and air in the right sequence is all any engine needs. When one won't start, check for air (can it breathe?), does it have spark (fire), is it getting fuel? Sounds like you have a lot of fuel pressure...maybe too much since the old plugs were gas fouled. I'd start with the basic three and by checking for any codes.
An engines needs 4 things to run: fuel,air, spark and timing. It always puzzles me why everyone says it just needs 3 things.

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I finally got around to playing with my truck yesterday (two months later....) and had some really confusing results.

Pulled one of the plugs to test for spark. Grounded it out on the block, had the girlfriend crank the starter. Saw a spark... but more importantly the truck sputtered to life for a second! First time it's done anything but crank since before the winter.

Put the plug back in, no sputter.

Took off just the wire (with the plug installed) - no sputter.

Took out the plug and left it unplugged / ungrounded - sputter!!

My two theories were a bad ground (that I somehow corrected by grounding out the plug on the block) or some sort of exhaust blockage that opening up the combustion chamber fixed (which doesn't REALLY make sense to me either). Does anyone have any theories on this that actually DO make sense?

Lil-Pony

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Take a Guess
Engine Size
2.8 soon to be 4bt
Transmission
Automatic
Earlier you said you heard a light backfire sound like air was escaping after cranking. This supports your exhaust blockage theory.

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
To check for blocked exhaust, just remove o2 sensor closest to motor. See if anything changes.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
An engines needs 4 things to run: fuel,air, spark and timing. It always puzzles me why everyone says it just needs 3 things.
I've always heard it needs four things, too. Fuel, air, spark, and compression.

I guess it needs five things.... Fuel, air, spark, compression, and timing. :icon_thumby:

tmcalavy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Well you can check the blocked exhaust by disconnecting the pipe from the cat, or the manifolds from the exhaust pipe. My 93 with 3.0 v6 actually has a distributor cap and a rotor underneath it so I'm guessing your 4.0 does, too, but not sure. If it does, see if you can find the firing order for that 4.0, then pull the spark plug on the No. 1 cylinder and turn the motor over by hand (socket on crank pulley nut) until the No. 1 piston is at top dead center (at top of its stroke). Then pull the distributor cap off and see if the rotor is pointing to the No. 1 plug tower/wire on the dist. cap. It should be with No. 1 cylinder at top dead center. If not, your timing is off...maybe your future bro-in-law played with it...or maybe the timing chain/belt has jumped and is off...don't know which one (chain/belt) your truck has. If the timing is off, it can have fuel, air, fire, compression and not start...just backfire as you mentioned. Sometimes us old farts forget that you younger guys have never dealt with adjustable timing, carbs, and other assorted dinosaur-era features.

TheBobmanNH

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
To check for blocked exhaust, just remove o2 sensor closest to motor. See if anything changes.
Will that just open up another path for the exhaust to get out? Or is there another reason?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals