• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

another diesel conversion thread

raja

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl 5-speed
Transmission
Manual
My credo
a truck with dents is a truck with charecter
hello, before i start, i'll just post my truck specs.
2002 ranger XL 2.3L 4 cyl 2WD.

so im new to this forum and am hoping to get set in some direction on diesel conversion. I realize this is a time consuming expensive endeavor, and hope i might get info i may have over looked doing research. im looking for reference sources, good engines, possibly good articles and good advice. this is my starter thread on the issue and will take any constructive information. as i learn about it i can ask more specific questions. right now i think my biggest challenge is finding a 2002 diesel engine that is easier to mount, as i know passing emissions requires the same year engine or newer. hopefully something with a higher chance of being at a junk yard. i know diesels are heavier, so i have to replace springs and weld new mounts and the like. my truck has really good frame and im only the second owner, but the engine and transmission is at 194,000, so if either of those goes it just seems like a good truck to keep and play with if i get lucky and find the resources at good prices.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
According to greengeeker a VW 1.9 diesel is actually lighter by a good amount than a 2.5 Lima, I dont know how that carries over to a 2.3 duratech.

If you havent, read this http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130443.

There is a version of a this thread over on tdiclub that I would suggest reading as well. There is also another guy by the name of loneranger on tdi club that did the same swap. Its less documented but its been finished for a few years and the guy had no problems with it.

Unless you stick a Mercedes diesel in there re gearing will be a necessity if you expect to be able to run the freeway comfortably.

Last edited:

1991fordranger1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 Mercedes diesel
Transmission
Manual
With my mercedes om617 with a fm145 transmission behind it with 3.73 gears and 28.9"tire (235/75/15) I hit perfect torque curve at 2395 at 65mph to achieve 32 mpg highway and it will be better when we get summer diesel up here in Canada and if you have a 4x4 four low is amazing just my two cents

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals