• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Another A4LD problem.....

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I have had the standard A4LD shift problems (hard 1-2 shift, cold shifts erratic, etc.) I have had the problems since I got the vehicle a year ago, I have changed vacuum shift module, cleaned and checked the governor, changed fluid and finally took it to a transmission shop. They said it wasn't "right" but they didn't know what was wrong (they did try a number of different things and test drove it 3 times). I asked what would be there best guess and they said a valve body.
Got a remanned valve body off e-Bay and installed it (another 8 quarts of fluid) and now it shifts a bit better (especially when warmed up) but now I have no overdrive (all other gears are good). Dropped the pan again this morning and metered out the 3-4 solenoid (good at 22 ohms). Checked the wiring and all looks good. Anyone have any idea where I can check the voltage to the solenoids without having to drop the pan again?
I'm pretty sure I will eventually have a re-manufactured trans installed (probably later this year). I do like this little vehicle, it runs and drives great and is a perfect vehicle for running around the Black Hills, if it would only shift correctly (it is a pretty good three speed the way it is though).
Thanks in advance.......

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The center wire on the 3 wire plug for transmission will have 12volts with key on, this powers both solenoids

The other two wires are the grounds for each solenoid, they run to the computer
Computer grounds the 3-4 solenoid to shift into OD(4th)

This is speed dependent so is the VSS on the speedo cable hook up on the back of trans hooked up?
Dash Speedometer is cable driven but computer uses the 2 wire VSS for speed and shifting

Transman304

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler PT
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem
Here are some other things to look at. What @RonD said is more than likely the cause, very common on the unit. Here are a couple other things to look at. You may want to check the vacuum line for the MAF or a bad MAF sensor or TPS. Check OD band adjustment. Do you have a single solenoid or two solenoid VB? As 89 was the cross over to 2 solenoids.
Brad

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
I checked the voltage this morning (good), looked at the MAF, VSS, and TPS. All look good and engine runs good. Vacuum lines all in good condition. Cruise control works well so the VSS should be good. I did notice something odd when I was out driving today.......with the shift selector in OD when you let off the gas the tach drops to idle, in Drive when you let off the gas it does "engine braking". The torque converter "seems " to lock up (or at least the rpms drop by 100-200 rpm).
According to the PO the trans in it is from a 93' Explorer......so a 2 solenoid one.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I was out driving Monday and the beast started shifting to OD.....WTF. Does it about half the time, I am totally baffled now.
I have the opportunity coming up to get a 4.0L with M50R1 and all the stuff (except a pedal box). Someone I know is converting his 94' Ranger to a 5.0. The price is right but I'm not sure my old body is up to the task of all the physical labor. I wouldn't swap the motor as my 2.9 runs just fine.
Decisions, decisions.

duffy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Transmission
Automatic
Time for an update to this thread......took out the governor and cleaned it up (it was a bit sticky) re-installed and it was "better" but not right. I replaced the valve body with a refurbished one and that fixed a number of shifting oddities but I lost OD and the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts still weren't "right". Replaced the governor with a refurbished one from Cobra transmission (came with a 35mm weight) and now the 1-2 and 2-1 shifts are the way they should be. Dropped the valve body and replace the 3-4 shift solenoid with a new one (after making sure I had a good 12 volts to them). No luck (the old solenoid read 23 ohms like it should). Is there any way to check/ verify the ground from the ECM that commands the shift? Any other things in the valve body that could cause the OD problem? Thanks for any help/ideas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals