• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

An observation....

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
And they do all that while still having less ground clearance than the older ones.

My dad has a 16 F-150 4x4. I think the tire size works out to about 32 or 33 inches. My 87 Ranger 4x4 has 31s, my 88 B2 has 29.5 inch tires. All three of them sit at stock ride height, aside from the small amount of lift provided by the bigger than original tires on both of mine.

I can crawl under either of mine and fit, and have room to work. In fact I did just that today, on both of them.

When I try to crawl under the 16 my gut get stuck on the frame.
I did notice that ground clearence seems to be lacking hardcore.

I can park my 3/4 ton 2wd next to a FX4 1/2 ton and atleast at the rockers have more clearence.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Its doesn't take alot of ground clearance to tackle the hardcore terrain of a mall parking lot.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Here ya go...
First one will never ever see a minute of off road use, or even a minute of "work" use.
Second one is for giggles...;missingteeth;
Grumpaw

Attachments

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I rolled right under a 19 Ranger with no problem. At least as much clearance as any stock older Ranger if not more.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The second one actually looks functional, probably just using the tiny tires to move it around to work on it... it's got a 2.5 ton rear in it. :dunno:

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
The springs in the second one look like slinky's.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Well, I mean... "technically" a slinky IS a spring... so.... yes...
Point taken, but those couldn't walk down stairs alone or in pairs...

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Here ya go...
First one will never ever see a minute of off road use, or even a minute of "work" use.
Second one is for giggles...;missingteeth;
Grumpaw

pretty sure i seen video of the ford thing getting the shit beat out of it with mxl's. and totally sure that particular ford platform would rip the guts out of that particular gm platform.

for sure the modern ford bedsides are ridiculous. i am over 6-3 and its at just the height it blows my t's out. and my ranger is the same way...i have to be careful loading the damn thing.

i call my ranger a low rider 4x4 in the sense it would fit into a 7 foot door with it rolling on 42's not an easy feat for something that is actually usable.

no matter what...i would not want to be without a custom bed. my shop truck has a reg bed and i had to adapt my cranes to it....pain in the ass.

working height is hard to nail down... on a stock truck it is easy to keep low though.

just today.... like i just got in from the store minutes ago... i had a guy offer me 1500 for the bed on my truck. i almost said yes...and still may...which is why i took his number.

i tried to explain it was not right due to the gap for planned cab expansion....dude didnt give a fawk...wanted it on the spot. like literally was going to the bank machine serious... he was in a 2004 ranger ext cab with a mint bed.

i have had a few people try to get me to sell this bed or build a bed like it. always people with newer trucks so i am curious to the draw. on my truck it may as well be a modern lifted 150. on a stock truck i would be pretty nice for working out of it.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I agree, my '97 F350 is bad enough, why they decided to lift it 4" to fit 35" tires is beyond me, and of course they did it right and did it with all springs so it was a pain to lower down some :). I use an in bed camper so height is a problem, F250 lift blocks and taking the overload out of the front got it about where I want it... One of these days I need to find a front sway bar, kinda tippy with just a rear...

Using the bed on either my '90 Ranger or the F350 is kinda a pain, bed rails are both about armpit level and I'm 5' 11". One of these days the front axle will move forward a little bit and I can get it lower... the only clearance problem I have is the firewall.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And they do all that while still having less ground clearance than the older ones.

My dad has a 16 F-150 4x4. I think the tire size works out to about 32 or 33 inches. My 87 Ranger 4x4 has 31s, my 88 B2 has 29.5 inch tires. All three of them sit at stock ride height, aside from the small amount of lift provided by the bigger than original tires on both of mine.

I can crawl under either of mine and fit, and have room to work. In fact I did just that today, on both of them.

When I try to crawl under the 16 my gut get stuck on the frame.
Sounds like somebody needs to go on a diet.:tease:

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
I was out cleaning up leaves....

AGAIN....

and as i was dumping them in my 97 F250 HD something occured to me...

Im 6'1 and its a royal bitch to reach over the bedside and dump the leaf vac bag in over the bedside. Usually i use the ranger but i didnt feel like going down and unloading them tonight.

How in the royal shit do people do things like this with the massivley tall bedsides on modern trucks? Use a ladder? Why are the bedsides so tall anyways?

Not trying to debate old vs new...but just something i dont understand.
Just a matter of "styling progress" Back in them olden days all pickups were step-side, and they were work trucks. In the 50's Ford came out with the first styleside bed, but even then it was very accessible because it was designed that way.
The "belt line" was much lower than modern trucks. Later designs had higher belt lines and thus bed top rails got higher. Also, truck bodies were much lower on the frame because the engine assembly was much smaller and lower, so the body could sit "lower" on the frame rails. As engines got bigger it necessitated raising the body so the engine wouldn't stick up and hit the hood. Just place a stock Ford, Chevy, Dodge pick up from 1960 next to a modern truck and the difference will be obvious.
And, tires were much smaller in diameter, and they usually "filled" the wheel wells. No thought was ever given to using huge diameter tires. Look at pic's of 50's-60's trucks and you won't find the huge wheel well openings you see now,
A bit of research... I found that the stock 1960 Ford F-100 2 WD had a ground to top of bed rail height of around 47-48 inches. Can't find specs for a new F-150 or Ranger, but I'd bet it's much higher. But 47 inches is very easy to lift and lean over to access the bed from the side.
The designers could easily design a lower, easily accessible truck and bed, but then it wouldn't be "rugged" looking enough.
Grumpaw

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The designers could easily design a lower, easily accessible truck and bed, but then it wouldn't be "rugged" looking enough.
Grumpaw
It can be done:

Actually while it takes a beating for not having as much "bed volume" as its competitors the Tacoma has a very nice bed rail height, just eyeballing it I would say it is similar to my '85 for depth and ease of access.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That makes me drool. Such a shame we never really got the pickup Landcruisers here.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals