• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amount of slave travel?

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
93 2.3 S-cab MO5D 2wd:

I have the clutch Hydraulics completely removed, with a new slave.

Trying to bleed it prior to installation. Tranny was pulled because after 1/2 mile of driving, it was impossible to shift (without rpm matching). Seemed like heat would cause the slave to lose travel, because I could let it cool off and it would shift like a champ again until it got warm.

So, I gravity filled the new slave, got some air out by just cracking the slave bleeder. When the assistant pushed against the slave spring he could feel fluid backflow for that full compression stroke. We then used the master to push the slave from its compressed position (assistant holding the spring still compressed). It has good force, easily overcoming the assistant and the spring pressure for 1/2 of the total available slave travel.

My question is: How much of the "available" clutch slave travel stroke should the Master be able to push?

I have bled it repeatedly in every available combination of conditions possible, and I no longer get any air. I have the Master oriented/tilted opposite of the installed position, slave slightly higher and the reservoir higher still so air SHOULD be forced to the slave when bleeding.

I've tried bleeding while the assistant holds the slave compressed, which yielded no travel gain. At one point we hydraulic locked it (could not push the master at all), so we bled some fluid and still get exactly 1/2 of the slave's total stroke.

I got really lucky with the first 93 a couple weeks ago. Pulled that tranny because the flywheel teeth were gone, nothing for the starter to engage! Slave quick disconnect didn't leak a drop, I didn't bleed it at all, just reinstalled the tranny and reconnected the QD and that clutch was perfect.

If somebody can tell me that the Master can only push the slave 1/2 of its available stroke, the tranny will go in tonight. Otherwise, I'm buying a new Master (after I disassemble it, look at the seal, etc - can't help myself). I really don't want to spend any more money if I don't HAVE to. I got these two 93's to fix up and sell to make enough $$ to fix my 2000. I'll drive the 93 I'm working on now, while I fix the 2000 (4 BJ's, I/O tie rods, water pump, steering rack, and shocks).

Cliff's Notes: Slave has say ~3'' of total travel "capability". My Master will only push it for 1/2 of that total available stroke. Is the Master bad?

Last edited:

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
For whatever it's worth, the Ranger hydraulic slave cylinder has an actual travel of about 1/2" to 3/4" when observed through the bell housing inspection port. Mine has about 1/2" travel and the trans shifts fine, even when I only push in the clutch half way.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good info, thanks.

It went in tonight and I drove it to town.
Now to get that one lug nut off, no key for it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals