• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Amazon eling gps speedometer install

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
For those of you struggling with the original speedometer equipment from the year of your ranger I have a video of installing a gps speedometer for literally 65.00$ funny because I spent 45 on the vehicle speed sensor 35 on the cable and 7 on less teeth speedo gear and none of it worked even tested the speedometer with a drill and it worked great

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1992 should be a cable driven speedo. You wasted your money on the speed sensor it's just used for ABS and maybe cruise control. Changing speedo gears isn't going to make it work unless the teeth are stripped, just change the reported speed relative to transmission shaft speed. Could make it not work though if it isn't the right gear to mesh up with the drive gear in the transmission.

Since you replaced the cable and tested the speedo, your driven gear in the transmission is probably gone.

Did the odometer still turn when driving, or did both quit working?

FWIW my 68 F-100 doesn't have a working speedo either, that odometer does work though. Cable and gears work even if inaccurate, just speedo stuck/broke. Rather than fixing I picked up a cheap GPS HUD on Amazon and keep it on the dash. Eventually I'll fix it, but probably going to upgrade whole cluster to Dakota Digital.

Captaingreatvalue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
1992 should be a cable driven speedo. You wasted your money on the speed sensor it's just used for ABS and maybe cruise control. Changing speedo gears isn't going to make it work unless the teeth are stripped, just change the reported speed relative to transmission shaft speed. Could make it not work though if it isn't the right gear to mesh up with the drive gear in the transmission.

Since you replaced the cable and tested the speedo, your driven gear in the transmission is probably gone.

Did the odometer still turn when driving, or did both quit working?

FWIW my 68 F-100 doesn't have a working speedo either, that odometer does work though. Cable and gears work even if inaccurate, just speedo stuck/broke. Rather than fixing I picked up a cheap GPS HUD on Amazon and keep it on the dash. Eventually I'll fix it, but probably going to upgrade whole cluster to Dakota Digital.
both it would not go past 35 mph so both odometer and speed work but because the trans gear is done for I just changed the gear just to be sure I mean it looked fine but probly wasn’t

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals