• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Am I getting had by alignment shop?

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
So am I. But because they didn't call.

Your post was clear.

Your invoice even more clear.

Contingency as stated in your post is fair. One hour and fifteen minutes per side for bushings on a truck you could not get the pitman arm off of is extremely fair.

If it was an easy job. You would have got it with your puller.
I'm apparently not making this part clear, my[friend's] puller tool is defective, a damaged HF unit. i had to dislodge a socket he had gotten stuck on the screw before even starting that bit. i.e., it was used and abused.

but i digress.

i should have checked out the bushings beforehand. the reason I purchased and brought them to the shop was reading [a few] posts about the potential of needing them, and the concept was just "bring 'em with" so I assumed(again) that it wasnt a big deal

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
I'm apparently not making this part clear, my[friend's] puller tool is defective, a damaged HF unit. i had to dislodge a socket he had gotten stuck on the screw before even starting that bit. i.e., it was used and abused.

but i digress.

i should have checked out the bushings before hand. the reason i purchased and brought them to the shop was reading [a few] posts about the potential of needing them, and the concept was just "bring 'em with" so I assumed(again) that it wasnt a big deal

Aye. You are right to be pissed.

The fact you paid over 25 percent tells me all I need to know about your character. Your a straight up human.

They can offer something for not clarifying over 20 percent differential of labor before doing it. No excuses for that.

I am sure if they would gave you the range. ..that I would have...which is 1/2 a day..at least you could have had the option to get it all out if the way on your time..

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Aye. You are right to be pissed.

The fact you paid over 25 percent tells me all I need to know about your character. Your a straight up human.

They can offer something for not clarifying over 20 percent differential of labor before doing it. No excuses for that.

I am sure if they would gave you the range. ..that I would have...which is 1/2 a day..at least you could have had the option to get it all out if the way on your time..
Haha while I appreciate the compliment, I'm also just strongly averse to unnecessary conflict. Dollars are dollars and I'm no rich man, but after asking the guy where the extra dollars came in and getting the immediate push back of "it's a time consuming process" (with a bit of tone), I'd pick a different battle. As mentioned I'm not a fan of the dead spot, I have to work the wheel a few degrees back and forth to keep it in the lane at highway speeds, but if it's a good alignment, it is what it is

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, there is an adjustment on the Ranger steering box

Has a lock nut and a "bolt"
You loosen the lock nut and hold it in place, then screw in the "bolt" to reduce the play in steering shaft movement
Its a trial and error setting, and it could be steering box is just worn out

Best method is to jack up front wheels by A-frames so weight of vehicle is still on them
Then adjust, and turn wheels lock to lock to make sure there is no binding
You don't want to get stuck steering left or right out on the road, lol

Kira

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
OK. Hi guys
+1 on 'failure to communicate'.
+1 on the delicacy, care & expertise needed to fit the pitman arm properly being more than expected.
Could a new employee have bleated the $125 estimate at you unknowingly?

Are test drives done to settle in new parts? That'd add to the total, no?
ps, I know test drives are such a PIA shops don't do 'em but someone said this was a good shop.

Colossal tires were installed at this time, right? Was the OP perhaps startled by the feeling of being in the crow's nest of the Mayflower during a hurricane? Taller rubber will do that.

Last edited:

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
OK. Hi guys
+1 on 'failure to communicate'.
+1 on the delicacy, care & expertise needed to fit the pitman arm properly being more than expected.
Could a new employee have bleated the $125 estimate at you unknowingly?

Are test drives done to settle in new parts? That'd add to the total, no?
ps, I know test drives are such a PIA shops don't do 'em but someone said this was a good shop.

Colossal tires were installed at this time, right? Was the OP perhaps startled by the feeling of being in the crow's nest of the Mayflower during a hurricane? Taller rubber will do that.
125 is their flat fee for alignment
There would not reasonably be a fee for a test drive
Someone knows their race team and likes them. I've actually contacted them for work on another vehicle before and twice they didn't get back to me so I went elsewhere. I've talked to other people who weren't thrilled, but there were no horror stories, and since this is an alignment on a vehicle in their specialty wheelhouse, I went there instead of the more reputable non-off-road alignment shop in town.
I have 31s, and I'm quite accustomed to large tires in general, if not on specifically this type of suspension. There is a big wedge of slop in the center of my steering. I've been driving it even more since the work, it is not okay as it is.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Do you have the specs sheet?

vagabond80

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock 4wd
Tire Size
31x10.5R15
Do you have the specs sheet?
forgot to ask them for one when I picked up the truck, they didnt offer (even when I asked about the cost).
I sent them a message first thing Tuesday morning asking for the numbers if they still had them, they have yet to respond. might have to go back down to the shop

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals