• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AM i Alone

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
So here in Columbus we got some snow last night, i don't know how much for sure. We'll in the morning the idiots on 270 would only go 40 mph when there was nothing on the road, not even slush. That really kinda ticked me off. I don't get how people who have these front wheel drive, and 4X4's think if there is snow on the side of the road, you need to drive slow, even if there isn't snow on the road.

Now later in hte day the roads did start to get a little slippery. I had blue jackets tickets, and had to drive in it again. We'll my Mom through a fit that I was going to drive my 2 wheel drive truck in the horrible weather. (which is odd sense she is from northern ohio where they actualy get snow,) She bitched and moaned untill i agreed to take my dad's taurus wagon. GOD WHAT A MISTAKE THAT WAS.

I know that people claim front wheel drive is better in the snow, but let me tell you what, I will take my rear drive no anti-lock break, no weight on the rear, 86 ranger over a Taurus in the snow any day. I would come up to a turn, and the Taurus would just slid side ways. In my truck i can hit the gas and drag the rear end into the turn, where as the Taurus the rear end just felt like it was gone, none existent. Apparently i don't know how to drive a car with anti-lock breaks, (this taurus is one of only 2 i have ever driven with anti-lock).

SO am I alone out there. Is there anyone else out there who hates front wheel drive and Anti-lock breaks in the snow?

And yes i know i am weird.

kscull70

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
see where you went wrong was the fact that you even went to a blue jackets game...NYR all the way haha

LearjetMinako

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 140ci
Transmission
Manual
You are not alone. The Ranger does me plenty fine. 2wd, R-ABS, 4cyl, manual tranny, so its fairly light footed on snow and ice. For a try today, I decided to back into the driveway rather then just drive forward on to it. Took a few trys with the tires spinning, but it made up the slope and it also conquered the little snow bank. Momentuim was key, but had very little traction or running space to get it. All the while my dad is in his Buick Regal shacking his head.

Last edited:

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 98 in 2WD was awful without any weight. Put some cement blocks back there and it was just fine.

My new subie makes this snow a joke.

rangerbum

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Manual
I'm wit you on that buddy! I dig my 2WD. Fun, but still capable in the snow.

rjppunk

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
im just worried about black ice because my all seasons have seen too many winter

86_cookiemonster

November '08 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 liter
Transmission
Automatic
see where you went wrong was the fact that you even went to a blue jackets game...NYR all the way haha
we'll i got these from my buddy. They are five rows back from the ice, you can actually hear those Russian's and Canadian's cuss at each other. It was the jackets vs Redwings, how can you turn that down. (Note the jackets did win)

im just worried about black ice because my all seasons have seen too many winter
My old trumpet teacher always used to say All season tires, more like no season tires.

Glade to hear i am not hte only crazy one out there.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i put my '96 yamaha timberwolf atv in the bed and i can get around pretty good.. and i have "snow" tires on the back..:icon_thumby:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Hmmmm...I love driving my Ranger in snow...almost goes anywhere with the right combination of full tank of gas, a bit of extra weight, and the manual tranny...

But, I must say, my Tempo with no added weight, front wheel drive and a five speed tranny was excellent...only got stuck once and that was on a hill that was a sheet of ice...and even then I managed to back it down and park it neatly so I could walk the rest of the way home...

I think it's partly experience and partly vehicle that makes for better mobility in slush...

EDIT: GO LEAFS GO....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals