• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Alternator up grade???

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
So I have a 2.9l and the alternator that comes with, just doesn't cut it. I have a 12000 lb winch and off road lights. Is there anything I can to to improve the system i have or possibly an alternator switch?
let me know thanks.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
have any shops near by that can beef it up? we have a place here in Memphis that'll rebuild it to higher output.

can always check on a mean green or other aftermarket one... expensive but could be worth it.

have you looked into dual battery setups? this could help your issue some. I'm running a dual battery setup in my b2 b/c of amps and lights.. running the stock starting battery then a deep cycle marine/starting battery. look into some AGM batteries.. Cabela's has a nice AGM battery now. just don't waste your money on optima's.... trust me. been there/done that... won't do it again. adding a semi truck battery in would help. just if you do dual batteries, do it right.

here's a thread that might have some info for you; i didn't read it but.... try it and see
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18484

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
oh yea... what brand winch is it? what's the draw? the size of it doesn't really matter...

also, you could always add a second alternator, we used to do this for some cb users that were running linears that were slightly over the 4 watt limit (think more like 1000 watts mobile! lol)

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Well the winch is a BadLand winch.... haha Harbor Freight. I pulled out a Duramax the other day frame deep in snow. The winch does work for $280 haha. Anyways I couldnt find the amp pull of it, but i guess it doesn't matter since no alternator is going to be able to keep up with it. The biggest thing is i need the alternator to keep up with my electric fan and off road lights.
would something like this work??

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Ford/Ranger/Powermaster/Alternator/1989/XLT/6_Cyl_2-dot-9L/P66847140.html

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Police Interceptors and Taxicabs are commonly upgraded with a SMALLER alternator pulley, this will run the Alt, at 7/8 power at an Idle, where as the normal 3-1/4" is garbage at that low an engine RPM, the trade off is that brushes will go quicker (about a year less), and the engine will have about 5 hp less in the top end.

All you need is to ask at a GOOD auto electrical shop is for a pulley for taxi or police service for your alternator.

Greg

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
When a 60 amp alternator is what you got, even a full charge at idle isn't much. I went from an 85 amp to a 130 amp in my Mustang. At idle, my battery light would come on because I have underdrive pullies and a subwoofer, etc. What a huge difference the upgrade made.

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
remember one thing.....

130 amp @ 12 volts Ohm's Law says that is 130 x 12 = 1560 VA (watts) or 5 HP on a 2.9 ? that leaves 6 HP for the tires...:D

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
That alternator in your link is for a serpentine belt. Forgive me if I'm remembering wrong, but I recall the 2.9 as being a V-Belt.

Just a thought if you do have serpentine, or are just planning to do a pulley swap...... I also seem to remember that a Fox Body (5.0) has the same mount locations as a 2.9 does. If I am correct, you could use the alternator off of a 94-95 SN95 Mustang (V6 or 5.0) or any of the V6's through about 2000. Mine is off of a 2000 V6 Mustang. I had to grind down the factory bracket on my Mustang, and provide threads (a nut will do) for the top collar, because they threaded the bracket instead of the alternator 94 and up. I also would recommend harvesting the wiring harness - I used one for a 94 GT.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
remember one thing.....

130 amp @ 12 volts Ohm's Law says that is 130 x 12 = 1560 VA (watts) or 5 HP on a 2.9 ? that leaves 6 HP for the tires...:D
Your figures are at full load, and this might be noticeable if it were at full load all the time. These newer alternators are much more efficient. I doubt you'll notice anything.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ohm's law, is Ohm's law, 130 amps @ 12 volts is still 1560 watts. and that amount of wattage requires that amount of HP the only thing that might be less is the alt fan not requiring as much Hp to run, other than that, VA's are still VA's.

I was joking about the 6hp to run the truck.

Greg

FordRanger89

05/2013 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
That alternator in your link is for a serpentine belt. Forgive me if I'm remembering wrong, but I recall the 2.9 as being a V-Belt.

Just a thought if you do have serpentine, or are just planning to do a pulley swap...... I also seem to remember that a Fox Body (5.0) has the same mount locations as a 2.9 does. If I am correct, you could use the alternator off of a 94-95 SN95 Mustang (V6 or 5.0) or any of the V6's through about 2000. Mine is off of a 2000 V6 Mustang. I had to grind down the factory bracket on my Mustang, and provide threads (a nut will do) for the top collar, because they threaded the bracket instead of the alternator 94 and up. I also would recommend harvesting the wiring harness - I used one for a 94 GT.
Ok that all sounds good.... how hard is the wiring to do??
BTW thanks for the help!!!
I checked for a smaller pulley than what i have no.... there is no suck pulley... a diff alternator is the only way to go.

a31ford

Electronics GURU
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Pulley does exist, I have one on every other truck I own (4) , just haven't done the ranger yet (busy).

I rebuilt alts, starts, & carbs for 10 some odd years, they exist.

Greg

Diggerauditor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is what I did, and for 25$ I got a 130 amp alt upgrade on my 2.9.

I went to the JY and got a 130 amp alt from a 96 t-bird with a 3.8 v-6. I think they have the same alt from 94-97 t-bird cougars amongst others, you can check the interchange at the JY. I took it down to Advance Auto and had them check it. I took the front pulley off my old one and put it on the upgrade. I had to extend the mounting bracket out because the old one mounts at about 90deg and the new one mounts at about 180. Was no big deal. I was fortunate that the belts actually lined up. I took the harness from the old one and cut the large black/orange and put a butt connector and bolted it to the new alt batt terminal. The other connector plugs right in. Easy Peasy. No muss no fuss 130 amp upgrade. Lights are tons brighter now too.

I really should post some pics...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals